Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Alabama so it doesn't get too cold but lastnight it was probably 35 degrees. I cranked my car this morning and it sounded like the engine was dying. :eek:

I wish i would have pulled my phone out to record it but I was sitting there dumb founded not believing what I was hearing. After a couple of seconds the engine light started blinking but then the engine picked up and started sounding like normal. The engine light then turned off. I have never had this happen before but was just curious if any one else has.

It was loud, whiny and the engine sounded like it was going to choke off at any second but it kept running - barely. I thought maybe the battery was bad but I don't see how that could make the engine sound like that. I'm no mechanic though.

If KIA says this is a normal sound of a cold engine I call BS!:mad: I've never heard vehicle sound like that in my life. I will be taking mine to the dealer as soon as I can. Maybe someone else has experienced this?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
You said your check engine light was flashing and your engine sounded like it was running like crap. That would be a mis-fire. That's why your check engine light was flashing. Since it came on, you have codes stored. The dealer will be able tell what exactly went on.

A mis-fire on cold start is NOT normal. Explain what happened and make sure that you state that your check engine light came on and flashed.

Also, please let us know what engine you have. Update your user information for future posts.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
576 Posts
Yeah, i agree it's not normal for engines to behave like that even when cold starting.

Heck, my engine even started normally even when i forgot to plug it in the night before and it was like -27 that time :)

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Yeah, i agree it's not normal for engines to behave like that even when cold starting.

Heck, my engine even started normally even when i forgot to plug it in the night before and it was like -27 that time :)
I agree, I've never had a problem with my Forte and we don't have the block heater installed. It idles high for the first couple minutes, but only to warm the engine up. That doesn't sound like the problem that the OP described. Definitely a trip to the dealership is in order ASAP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts