Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2012 EX GDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago my daughter (3 and half years old at that time!) broke the back right back door handle with her tiny hand when trying to access the car on our way to the daycare. I was puzzled. How a 3 year old girl could break a handle on a brand new SUV? (Sorento 2012). It was a curious incident and the handle was replaced by the dealership where we got it.
6 years forward, now my son, who is ten, apparently did not want to be "less" that his sister and decided to earn the same merit and tried to open the door, normally like every day, and broke the left back door handle. What a ridiculous thing! This plastic handles are a joke. First and last KIA for me. I wanted to share it. anybody had any issues like this?
I am counting that the dealer will replace the handle at no cost, even if it is out of warranty. I would be embarrassed if I am the owner of a brand and the handles break as easy as this.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,454 Posts
I "feel" for your "rant"....BUT Kia/Hyundai are NOT the only brands with this problem. MANY other make vehicles are just as prone to broken door handles as almost all cars nowadays are made of plastic.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012 EX GDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I "feel" for your "rant"....BUT Kia/Hyundai are NOT the only brands with this problem. MANY other make vehicles are just as prone to broken door handles as almost all cars nowadays are made of plastic.
That was not a "rant" but a bit of a "funny" story if you will. I've had close to 10 cars before and after the KIA (some new some used from 98 to 16 for reference) and none of them had any issue with the handles, I am curious to know if any other people had this experience before with the Kia Sorento, which I found unacceptable and inexcusable.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,454 Posts
That was not a "rant" but a bit of a "funny" story if you will. I've had close to 10 cars before and after the KIA (some new some used from 98 to 16 for reference) and none of them had any issue with the handles, I am curious to know if any other people had this experience before with the Kia Sorento, which I found unacceptable and inexcusable.
For the sake of forum peace... I'm sorry that I must have misinterpreted the context of your posting. But I still hold my statement from my past long automotive repair career.
ONLY 9 vehicles? I gave up counting the vehicles I've had and always maintained myself.

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Kia Sorento FWD Base with 2.4L
123 Posts
Been going on for awhile. Easy fix but the newer handles need to be a little modified. Scroll down to Door Handle if you rather do it yourself later on. Useful Youtube Videos and Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2012 EX GDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been going on for awhile. Easy fix but the newer handles need to be a little modified. Scroll down to Door Handle if you rather do it yourself later on. Useful Youtube Videos and Posts
Thanks man, I don't do repair or maintenance on my cars, the dealer has to take care of it (they did last time) even out of warranty, what an embarrassment for them really.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012 EX GDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the sake of forum peace... I'm sorry that I must have misinterpreted the context of your posting. But I still hold my statement from my past long automotive repair career.
ONLY 9 vehicles? I gave up counting the vehicles I've had and always maintained myself.
yes, unfortunately, in most of the US every adult has to have a car, I wish there was more public transportation.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,857 Posts
... anybody had any issues like this? ...
You won't believe it, maybe; but here in Honduras, 50% of sorentos from this model, that you'll see on the streets, shopping mall's parking lots, etc... have at least one missing handle... and Sorentos are extremely popular here, pretty abundant cars.

I agree that maybe these are the Worst weak handles of the industry... it took fifteen years to fail a handle on our 2000 sephia, and older cars we have, never ever had a fail on their handles so far...

Kind Regards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts