Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time no speak everyone!
So the '00 Sephia has been racking up the miles (87k! I got her as my first car with only 30). I got to get her to over 100!
All the city driving (and parallel parking) I've been doing has taken it's toll on the car. When I turn the wheel (at a stop) I hear a horrible crunching noise. Sounds almost like gears grinding.
This is especially prevalent when parallel parking and turning the wheel from lock to lock. I had a mechanic listen to it, and he said it's probably just worn out bushing. Not worth the effort to replace.
Can I get some opinions on this? It's starting to sound dangerous. At highway speeds, I notice a lot of wander.
I replaced CV joints and struts within the past 20k.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
Long time no speak everyone!
So the '00 Sephia has been racking up the miles (87k! I got her as my first car with only 30). I got to get her to over 100!
All the city driving (and parallel parking) I've been doing has taken it's toll on the car. When I turn the wheel (at a stop) I hear a horrible crunching noise. Sounds almost like gears grinding.
This is especially prevalent when parallel parking and turning the wheel from lock to lock. I had a mechanic listen to it, and he said it's probably just worn out bushing. Not worth the effort to replace.
Can I get some opinions on this? It's starting to sound dangerous. At highway speeds, I notice a lot of wander.
I replaced CV joints and struts within the past 20k.
Thanks!
Could be many diff things. I would take to another shop.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
have you checked the inner and outer tie rods for the wander problem and as mentioned it could be different things and take to a shop that has a lift and have them inspect it.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had just thought about that.
I like to do the DIY thing. How could I tell if it's inner or outer tie rod ends?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
Is it wandering all over the road? Does it do it when you turn either way or just one way?

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the highway (especially the narrow ones), I notice I need to correct a lot. Very white knuckle when driving.
The steering feels very loose. I realize it's no sports car, but recently it just feels sloppy.
I don't notice any bias towards direction. My buddy and I took a look today; pushing and pulling on the tires while the one side was jack up. The wheel would move slightly, but so did the tie rod.
More specifically about the gut-wrenching crunch:
Especially when parallel parking or tight turn from a dead stop. The crunch occurs as I let off the clutch and the car begins to move.
There's some play in the wheel when driving, but that's always been the case.
Worn steering rack mounts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts