Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any one else experience this? I thought at first it was my steble horn working sometimes, so I replaced it with a different horn and was working great then Im getting similar experience all over again. It works sometimes and other times its not working. I know its not the horn, the relay in the engine compartment is good because I swapped a similar relay in the engine fuse box and still no sound. It started happening months after I had the steering wheel replaced. Could it be a faulty clock spring?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,947 Posts
Could very well be...............

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
Could be the switch inside the steering wheel not making full contact when you press it. If it was replaced, take it back.

Also, see if it works better when pressing in the middle or left or right side. If you can replicate it regularly, then it will be easier to figure out where the issue lies.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried pushing on all parts of the horn and also different degrees of the steering wheel, still nothing. Im going on vacation next week so Ill make the appointment when I get back, Im going to schedule for them to do it with the inspection sticker cause it wont pass without a working horn. Hopefully my horn doesnt decide to work again when I drive it there or it would be a lost cause.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Experienced similar - always seems to NOT work when you really need it!
Checked the fuses under the dash, checked the fuses under the bonnet and found the horn relay under there was not seated(?) correctly - removed and re-installed and it was fine for a while. Stopped working again recently, went to the relay and there was a little "click" as I pushed it down. Horn has been working OK since.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Decided to bear the cold and play with my horn. I pulled off the engine fuse relay cover and can hear it clicking when Im pressing the horn so I figured maybe I should look at the actual horn connection. Figured out my problem was the connector. I had been using old electrical tape and it has peeled and the connector was not secure to the bracket and the bumpy roads here has loosened the connection to the horns. Got myself some fresh electric tape and wrapped the connector securely to the bracket and made sure it wasnt moving. I can toot my horn again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts