Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 Rondo about 3 months ago. Well it has blown 7 horn fuses in that time period. It just does it randomly so it's hard to nail down what is causing it. Anybody have any troubleshooting ideas? I'm tired of replacing fuses.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
nope, not in mine.
Any aftermarket parts on the car what could be connected to horn fuse?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Put a small 12v light bulb in series with the fuse... When the fuse would normally blow the fuse the bulb will light. This will give you time to "probe" the harness and search for the problem.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. No aftermarket parts. Car dealer tried to tell me it was because I was plugging in my phone charger in the cigarette lighter. So I haven't plugged the adapter in for a couple of months and it has blown out 5 times since then.

As far as wiring a small bulb in it, I'd have to get someone else to wire it up. I have no idea how to do that. Could get my dad who's an electrician but I'll have to wait till the next time he's in town.

Was wondering are there any online wiring schematics for the Rondo? My dad had asked me if I could find some he may be able to read them and search the wiring. He seems to think there is an intermittent short.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
2008 Rondo horn fuse wiring..
Ok here goes...
The horn fuse is a 15 Amp that one side has +12v on it at all times.
The other side of the fuse feeds two places

1 To connection marked 85 (coil) on the horn relay and out of the horn relay marked 86 (coil)...
then through a yellow/blue wire up to the steering wheel (clock spring)...through the clock spring...
to the horn switch and through the horn switch (located in the drivers air bag ass'y) to ground

2 To a 42 pin connector (EM11) located in drivers side foot kick panel (behind the plastic cover)...
The connector is what looks like light blue in color, The wire is green in color...
From there it goes to the ICM Relay box (Burglar control box) located between the center of the dash and the passenger side kick panel under the dash (also a green wire).
It will pass through a connector called MD1-8 pin 11 into the ICM.
The ICM will have a another relay just like the horn relay. The circuit path then
goes to pins 85 (coil) and 30 (contact C) on the relay. The other side of the relay pin 86 (coil) goes to the BCM (body control module) connector M02-C on pin 21 (wire color Lilac). The BCM shorts the Lilac wire to ground to fire the burglar horn.

The wiring up to coil connections 85 on both relays (horn and burglar horn) are the areas to focus on as after the coils 86 on both relays will be pulled to ground to fire the relays and will not blow the the horn fuse but will sound one of the horns.

The horn fuse ONLY supplies these two circuits so you either have a wrong size fuse (not a 15AMP) or wiring problems which your father being an electrician should be able to follow.

This information cam from kiatechinfo.com and their schematics for a 2008 Rondo.
He can register and log into this forum if he wishes... It is free to use.
I will supply the needed info for him to successfully log on if he needs it.
He should be able to solve your fuse problems now...
Enjoy!
Dave
ps Copy this and forward to your Father!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the detailed reply. To answer question one, yes I do have the correct fuse in it, 15 amp. So I will copy and paste this info in an email to my dad. He'll be up in a few weeks. Hoopefully get him to look at it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I went to the site to get the schematics. I have tried 3 different times on 3 different computers and followed their instructions to bypass the popup blocker to sign up so I could get the schematics. Everytime when I try the link to go to the privacy agreement, all I keep getting is a blank screen. I sat and held the control key for 10 minutes and page never loaded. So the website will not allow me to join. Therefore I cannot get/see schematics.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
Ok I went to the site to get the schematics. I have tried 3 different times on 3 different computers and followed their instructions to bypass the popup blocker to sign up so I could get the schematics. Everytime when I try the link to go to the privacy agreement, all I keep getting is a blank screen. I sat and held the control key for 10 minutes and page never loaded. So the website will not allow me to join. Therefore I cannot get/see schematics.
are you using IE, works best with that, some limited use with Firefox. Been using it since 2007 works great and tons of terrific info. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
There is software that MUST be used to "successfully" get on kiatechinfo.com.
Here is a "cut and paste" I use to help others get on that site.

Start...
You really don't need to "buy" a manual...Just go to "kiatechinfo.com",
register, and all the info you need is right there.
You need to be running
Microsoft Windows (XP,Vista,7) and
Microsoft IE (Internet Explorer 8 or higher).
You also need to download and install a free "plug-in or app" called Adobe SVG
(Scaled Vector Graphics). There is a link to this software on their site.
and a valid email address to send the password to..
This is the only known good way to get onto this site..

There is a moderate learning curve as things aren't always where you would think they should be...but a little looking gets everything you could possibly need.
End....

The site is a little antiquated with it's requirements and very picky with what you use to gain access... You can't use Apple O/S, Linux O/S', and other "explorers" (Chrome/Safari/Firefox..etc). The SVG (scaled vector graphics) plug in is an absolute necessity in order to "see" the pictures and graphics.

The insanity is worth it for all the information they provide...
If you need help...I'm here...as well as hundreds of others from all over the Globe.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was using Firefox at home and Safari at work. I'll try IE when I get home this evening and see if that'll work. Thanks so much for your patience and help. Really wanting to get this fixed. Placed a new fuse for horn this past Saturday. Tried to blow the horn very next day, Sunday, and it had already blown! :mad: Hadn't tried to use it or plugged anything in between that time either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts