Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage convertable 4x4 - 2008 Kia Sportage LX 4WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I just purchased a 2002 kia sportage 4x4 convertable.

I was able to open the hood two times prior to present.

The hood release handle (located inside of vehicle, bottom left of steering wheel) pulls out, doesn't return on it's own or open the hood.

So I'm assuming the spring or cable is broken.

To my questions:

Is there any other way to release the hood catch?

Since I have had limited access under the hood, can anyone direct me to a picture of the hood latch with the hood open?

I'm thinking I might be able to catch the latch through the grill or front hood seam with a stiff wire or bar, similar to when you unlock your vehicle with a unlock tool.

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage convertable 4x4 - 2008 Kia Sportage LX 4WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FIXED! Got it working!

After alot of searching and poking around, I found the problem.

I pulled the hood release handle really hard almost to the point of breaking it.

It finally released.

So I lubed the hood latch assembly down with some penetrating oil.

FYI: the hood release handle does not spring back to it's most forward position so I'm assuming it never did.

Cheers!

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Hello all

I just purchased a 2002 kia sportage 4x4 convertable.

I was able to open the hood two times prior to present.

The hood release handle (located inside of vehicle, bottom left of steering wheel) pulls out, doesn't return on it's own or open the hood.

So I'm assuming the spring or cable is broken.

To my questions:

Is there any other way to release the hood catch?

Since I have had limited access under the hood, can anyone direct me to a picture of the hood latch with the hood open?

I'm thinking I might be able to catch the latch through the grill or front hood seam with a stiff wire or bar, similar to when you unlock your vehicle with a unlock tool.

The "best" way would be to remove the front grille facia, locate the phillips head screw by the kia emblem and remove, use a long-handled flat-blade screwdriver to depress the spring clips holding each of the (4) plastic grill mounts into the metal frame.. Don't be concerned if one or more metal clips separate from the grill mount or metal frame, you can pop them back onto the plastic grill mounts when reinstalling.. Just park in an area where you can find them if they pop off.

Look at the right side of the latch mechanism, you will see where the cable runs in.

Follow that over to the left side: the A/C Condensor fan is mounted in that location. Remove it if you can, otherwise you will be threading your tool through the A/C condenser fan plastics also.

On the left side, you want to insert a screwdriver or metal bar to depress latch mechanism towards the right -> driver's side to release the hood latch.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX w/ Convenience Pkg
24 Posts
Is this the same technique for the 3g sportages? I have a 2013 and literally 20 minutes ago I disconnected my hood release cable and without thinking, shut my hood... am I totally effd?

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Is this the same technique for the 3g sportages? I have a 2013 and literally 20 minutes ago I disconnected my hood release cable and without thinking, shut my hood... am I totally effd?
re: same technique -- No, unfortunately not: under the hood, the latch design is different and is buried further up in the engine compartment.. Best I can offer is to give the Kia Dealer a call, hopefully they can help.

Or maybe one of the folks over on the 3G Sportage forum can offer a better suggestion,

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 6 of 6 Posts