Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX w/ Convenience Pkg
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after dealing with my HID installation issue a few hours ago, I ran into what could turn out to be a HUGE issue.

While trying to gain access to the headlamp assembly (drivers side) I unhooked the hood release cable that was being a nuisance in the way. I got pulled away for something else and without thinking, shut the hood... uh oh...

So now I am left with a hood release that is disconnected, and the hood is closed!!!

Is there any way to manually open this thing?? Or is it going to have to go into the dealership and most likely pay to have this opened... *sigh

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
1st..one solution i would think ( i would say same from the dealership) get a pry bar and a metal ruler pry a little bit then slip the ruler towards the right or whicever to unlock the hood then lift... there will be a little damage but at least no labor to be paid.. IMO only.. i would think its impossible to reach from underneath very little space unless you have the abilities of mr. fantastic
lol, sorry bout that but hope you will think about it..

2nd.. going for the grill will cost more damage so the hood should be the best one.. or

3rd.. one more thing ask somebody who has a blood pressure cuff, slip it under the hood, then inflate, it will pry open a little, see if you can reach to unlock the hatch..

towing companys have this too though when you locked your vehicle accidentally with keys inside..

good luck

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Maybe,just maybe it would be worth to ask any local lock smith if they have any idea. They just might stumbled upon this kinda thing before. Good luck. Lock smith that deals with locked cars. Also,i'd rather pay the little money to KIA shop,then getting the crow bar to it. And it doesn't even have to be KIA shop. I'd think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I would prefer not to take a crowbar to my 1 week old sportage.. lol. However sliding something like a thin metal ruler or similar between the grille and the hood may work? I guess my next question is this....

On a functional release system... after the hood release is pulled (from the latch inside the car) it raises the hood a little bit enough for someone to activate the second release... is that second release something that I move to the right? Left? Up?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I would think that the release that has to get pushed up, only activates the secondary latch right?

Before work this morning I was able to slide a knife in between the grill and the hood without causing any damage to the grille/trim/hood. So with a little bit of patience later today, I should be able to give the knife a "prying" motion and push up the release under the hood. But if that only controls the secondary release hook, then it is pointless...

So what holds the hood in place, before the secondary release hook?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone please open up their hood and take a few pictures of the cable hood lock mechanism. I am going to see if i can remove the skid plates under the car and reach my hand up or something to manually release it or remove it. It would be nice to have a reference of where it is and how it works

·
Registered
2012 sportage LX AWD
10 Posts
i am uploading a video that might help. i'll add it to my post when youtube is done with it. (yes you'll have to do this from under the car)
WOW! youtube is getting better. i thought that would take longer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
SOLVED!!!!! Hood Release cable disconnected. How to open Hood?

Hey Guys!!

This thread is SOLVED

Today is awesome because today I have successfully opened my hood after a long day and a half of freaking out calling everywhere thinking it well never open again.

So things to keep in mind: I called 5 DIFFERENT KIA DEALERSHIPS in my area and ALL of them told me it would cost a base 1hr of labor to even look at the car ($60) and see if it is possible to open the hood. So I asked to speak to a service technician to get some technical advise. Their answer? I have to take it to a body shop and have them CUT INTO THE HOOD/GRILLE to gain access... mind you, this car is only 1 week old, there is NO WAY I was going to cut into it.

With a little help from greggas and the video, I was able to see how the mechanism works and I decided to dig into it myself.

Here is how it is done.

Tools:
- Phillips head screwdriver (for plastic clips)
- 12mm socket
- Tire Iron (to remove drivers side wheel)
- Jack/Stand
- Flashlight (trust me...)

Time: < 15 min

Step 1: Jack up the car and remove the drivers side wheel, make sure to put a jackstand under for SAFETY! Make sure the engine has had plenty of time to cool off because you will be reaching your arm up there!

Step 2 (Optional): Remove the plastic skid plate under the vehicle, it is a combination of screw clips and 12mm bolts. I removed it because it gave me better visibility from under the car and more light into the engine bay area. Its DARK with that hood shut, even with a flashlight.

Step 3: Remove the drivers side plastic wheel well. Again a combination of screw clips and 12mm bolts.

Step 4: Locate the silver clip mechanism and reach your hand in and pull.

Step 5: BAM! your hood is now OPEN! Quickly now.. hook the cable back together!

Step 6: TEST from inside the car and make sure it works

Step 7: Reconnect the wheel well and the skid plate and lower the vehicle and you are DONE!

Video Tutorial: Part 1

Video Tutorial: Part 2

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
117 Posts
congrats and good write-up / video. :thumbsup: :clap:

goes to show you that the dealership people are incompetent idiots and / or thieves. $120 or cut the grill, what a joke!!

i recently had fog lights professionally installed ($80 with 2 yr warranty) since i'm clueless to electronics / wiring.

good luck with the rest of the HID light project!!

·
Registered
2014 Facelift Sportage
22 Posts
Hi
Anyone know this will work on 2008 carens?
Is it not possible to have a look yourself to see the possibilities, unless you have the same model, I guess nobody would know seeing that even the stealers don't know.
Best of luck with yours, I'm off to have a look at mine, just in case.

·
Registered
04 Kia Amanti, 05 Kia Amanti, 10 Hyundai Genesis, 99 & 88 Suburban, 01 ES300, 91 E150, 89 S10 Blazer
202 Posts
You answers allowed me to open my Amanti hood too

I just left the local KIA dealer today where I picked up the hood release cable clips that I broke and to examine the new KIAs hood release cables. Every one had the junction connector in it at the same place. The 2016 models on the showroom floor all looked like the cable connection was impossible to access with the hood closed, but was easy to see from the top. If you have an Amanti, look at the Amanti forum for a walk through of how I did it. Mine was disconnected in a radiator replacement, which is very common on a 12 year old Amanti. The radiator swap requires disconnecting this cable. The technician could easily overlook this connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SOLVED!!!!! Hood Release cable disconnected. How to open Hood?

Hey Guys!!

This thread is SOLVED

Today is awesome because today I have successfully opened my hood after a long day and a half of freaking out calling everywhere thinking it well never open again.

So things to keep in mind: I called 5 DIFFERENT KIA DEALERSHIPS in my area and ALL of them told me it would cost a base 1hr of labor to even look at the car ($60) and see if it is possible to open the hood. So I asked to speak to a service technician to get some technical advise. Their answer? I have to take it to a body shop and have them CUT INTO THE HOOD/GRILLE to gain access... mind you, this car is only 1 week old, there is NO WAY I was going to cut into it.

With a little help from greggas and the video, I was able to see how the mechanism works and I decided to dig into it myself.

Here is how it is done.

Tools:
  • Phillips head screwdriver (for plastic clips)
  • 12mm socket
  • Tire Iron (to remove drivers side wheel)
  • Jack/Stand
  • Flashlight (trust me...)
Time: < 15 min

Step 1: Jack up the car and remove the drivers side wheel, make sure to put a jackstand under for SAFETY! Make sure the engine has had plenty of time to cool off because you will be reaching your arm up there!

Step 2 (Optional): Remove the plastic skid plate under the vehicle, it is a combination of screw clips and 12mm bolts. I removed it because it gave me better visibility from under the car and more light into the engine bay area. Its DARK with that hood shut, even with a flashlight.

Step 3: Remove the drivers side plastic wheel well. Again a combination of screw clips and 12mm bolts.

Step 4: Locate the silver clip mechanism and reach your hand in and pull.

Step 5: BAM! your hood is now OPEN! Quickly now.. hook the cable back together!

Step 6: TEST from inside the car and make sure it works

Step 7: Reconnect the wheel well and the skid plate and lower the vehicle and you are DONE!

Video Tutorial: Part 1

Video Tutorial: Part 2
Will this work on a 05 Kia Sportage lx

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,234 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,050 Posts
Excellent! You should be proud of yourself! Got into and out of trouble all by yourself!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts