Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sedona with the 3.8L V6 in it. Ok, I had it up on ramps checking the power steering pump and, just to be safe, had jack stands in place below the frame as well. Long story short, got done with what I was doing and went to back down off the ramps, forgetting the jack stands. One fell over but the other one rode down the frame and through the oil pan, taking the full weight of the front end. It dumped 4 quarts of oil on my garage floor in a matter of seconds. Anyway, the damage done, other than the obvious gaping hole in my oil pan, was it also broke the oil pump screen and tube and cracked the upper half of the oil reservoir. I am replacing the oil pump, but I'm a bit concerned about the crack in the upper area of the oil reservoir. I don't even know what that is called. The jack stand didn't get into the bottom of the engine, or the crank, but, as I said, it cracked the top half of the oil reservoir. There is already a hole in the area that was machined that way. I am concerned about any chunks breaking off and getting into the engine. Also, don't know what other negative effects this crack might cause. This is, it appears, the bottom of the motor and is not something replaceable that I can see. I figure, I will replace the pump, the oil pan, put oil in it, and start it up to see what it will do. I know this is long winded and perhaps not descriptive enough, but hopefully someone will understand what I am trying to describe and have some good insight for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
96 Posts
Without any pictures I think it will be tough for anyone to comment. I think the best thing you can do is what you wrote, replace the pan and the pump and fire her up and see what happens. If there are other damages, it will probably be obvious. And you will have to investigate from their if repair is economical (if something else is severily damaged, that is). Good luck!

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
96 Posts
When you say "the upper area of the oil reservoir", you mean the bottom of the engine...don't you? When the pan is removed, it is essentially the bottom of the engine that you're looking at. If that's cracked all the way through, you will have problems. I'm not an expert, but maybe it would be welded???

·
Registered
'02 Sedona 3.5L
75 Posts
I would put the pump and pan back then get rid of it. Of course, I would let the new owner know there is a crack on the bottom of the engine. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies so far. You're right, I should post some pictures of the damage. I have a week before the new oil pump arrives anyway. Yes, the "top of the oil reservoir" I was trying to describe is the bottom of the engine, but it's weird, the piece that is cracked is between the crank and inside the oil pan. So, since I don't know how to describe it any better, I will snap a couple pictures tomorrow and post them. Perhaps the welding idea that was mentioned might be a viable option, if even needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, here's are some pictures of the damage done. Hopefully these will clear up what I am trying to describe. Oil pump has been removed at this time, obviously. You can see in the pictures where the cracks meet the machined hole in the bottom of the engine. Hopefully these pics help. You can see where the jack stand made the impact as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
The part is available online for $275, but requires extensive disassembly to replace. It may be ok to leave it that way, but I wouldn't trust it.

My suggestion would be to replace the other broken parts, make sure there is no noise, and then offload the van ASAP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could not do that to someone in good conscience. Not to mention, it's still not fully paid for. We still have a few years left on the loan. I really don't have a choice but to replace the pump, get it all back together, and hope for the best. It is always gonna be in the back of my mind though, because I won't trust it either. Especially if I rev the engine high ever. Ugh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not a Kia expert but have rebuilt a ton of engines. I was intrigued by the photos and looked into the schematic. It is indeed the Upper Oil Pan but have seen a few different part number ...ie 215203C100. They are about $230-$275 as mentioned here but I suspect the real issue is the work replacing it. There are some on Ebay for $50-80 and other partfinder sites that are basically junk yards. It isn't technically a structural part by design but I'm sure it does add rigidity to the block overall and definitely helps prevent oil windage (it also has a baffle you can see below it). I don't think having a crack in it would cause the engine to implode unless small pieces got into the oil pump or blocked it. Not sure how much work it is but if it was mine I would definitely replace it...but that is easy for me to say. If someone was adamant about not replacing I would probably go ahead and break off the pieces that were fracturedand debur the rough edges while protecting the engine from the grindings. But that is just one persons opinion.

From the pictures I would say that putting it back together "as is" some of those large pieces are definitely going to end up in the oil pan.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,357 Posts
I would put it back together and take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it under the warrenty. Tell them your wife ran over a cat.
Lets not promote dishonest and illegal activities on this forum.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
I would put it back together and take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it under the warrenty. Tell them your wife ran over a cat.
In this case it would damage, not a defect, therefore not warranty. Plus its an 06, so the warranty is probably expired anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haven't been under on of these but if done methodically large intimidating jobs can be done. Even 20 hours of labor is probably worth being able to sleep at night and I don't think it would take more than 2-3. If your near St Louis I'll come over and help.

Hyundai Engine Upper Oil Pan 215203C100 | eBay

Very oversimplified but would appear to be 4 bolts to the transmission, 10 to the block, replace the gasket for the mating surface (prob actually RTV), two oil pump gaskets. It appears there is machining for maybe a knock sensor or something but not sure if it is used. There is nothing unexpected underneath that part, you still have an oil baffle, then the crankshaft main caps etc that would not be touched. It is literally a two piece oil pan. Most of the work would be making sure everything is clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I personally wouldn't leave it as-is. However I am rather mechanically inclined. How many miles are on the van?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts