Kia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Black Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Machine

im pretty sure this is not normal. there is some oil leaking at this point where the engine meets the transmission.

jb weld? How does one even begin addressing this issue. I see the moveable rectangle piece above it and I am guess that is how one checks the transmission fluid level. My relative drove 5 hrs and was almost out of oil. I added 4 quarts but need to address the leak. Plan tomorrow is to take it to the shop and have them flush the engine to mitigate the possible damage of drivinf on low oil.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
513 Posts
What are you suggesting? That hole is normal.

flush the engine to mitigate the possible damage of drivinf on low oil.
Can't hurt to change oil, filter but I don't see how flushing will mitigate any damage if damage has occurred from low oil.
If it's damaged the damage is done.
the moveable rectangle piece above it
That would be to access the torque convertor bolts in preparation for transmission removal.

Can you tell us when the oil was changed last, what distance travelled since and last time the level was checked?

I doubt you lost 4 quarts purely due to that leak. I'd confirm it's engine oil and where it's leaking from. it may be leaking higher up and running down to that point or could be a rear main seal.

If you have factory warranty that should be the first place to start.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! I thought it may be a factory hole since it is a half circle. Also I apologize for the misspelling. I asked my family member and she last had the oil changed at a Kia dealership in July and only was at around 3,500 miles driven since that time.

Before she drove 80 mph on the highway for four hours to get here she said her oil light was on so she added a quart of oil and the light went off. She was 40 miles from here when the car “started shaking” while in a traffic jam and the check engine light came on.

I checked the oil dipstick when she arrived and there was no oil on the dipstick (just burned oil same on oil cap). I put 2 quarts in and it barely registered on the stick and then put 2 more in and that unf made it more than full.

On the undercarriage cover there was black oil. I removed this black paper/plastic covering to check to see if I can visualize a leak. The bottom of the oil pan was filthy. I cleaned up all the oil on the undercarriage so hopefully I might find where the leak is.

my reasoning for a flush was to get any burnt oil cleaned out of the engine but I am definitely an amateur at car repair.

thanks again

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
333 Posts
thank you! I thought it may be a factory hole since it is a half circle. Also I apologize for the misspelling. I asked my family member and she last had the oil changed at a Kia dealership in July and only was at around 3,500 miles driven since that time.

Before she drove 80 mph on the highway for four hours to get here she said her oil light was on so she added a quart of oil and the light went off. She was 40 miles from here when the car “started shaking” while in a traffic jam and the check engine light came on.

I checked the oil dipstick when she arrived and there was no oil on the dipstick (just burned oil same on oil cap). I put 2 quarts in and it barely registered on the stick and then put 2 more in and that unf made it more than full.

On the undercarriage cover there was black oil. I removed this black paper/plastic covering to check to see if I can visualize a leak. The bottom of the oil pan was filthy. I cleaned up all the oil on the undercarriage so hopefully I might find where the leak is.

my reasoning for a flush was to get any burnt oil cleaned out of the engine but I am definitely an amateur at car repair.

thanks again
Is this a V6 or 4cyl?

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
513 Posts
Don't know what to suggest but I think it needs a professional to look at it now and if it has warranty it sounds like it may have have the dealer look at it. problem could be the level not being checked then run dry you could be in trouble with warranty. The oil light on and driving is a concern usually means no pressure. It's a shame the level was not checked instead of adding only one quart, likely needed 3. Maybe it does have a major leak, hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
770 Posts
4 cylinder I believe. Front wheel drive Automati. It is the basic model
How don’t you know what engine you have.😞

Take it to the dealer and don’t try to fix it yourself. I hope the engine wasn’t damaged.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,262 Posts
An oil leak won't destroy an engine, but running it without oil will , and that is what your family member did, so expect engine damage which a flush and fresh oil isn't going to resolve.

How many miles?
What's the service history, oil change interval?
Is she the first owner?

The answers to the above will determine if its still under warranty, although running an engine to destruction isn't covered.

Your family member needs some coaching on how to take care of a vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
538 Posts
How don’t you know what engine you have.😞

Take it to the dealer and don’t try to fix it yourself. I hope the engine wasn’t damaged.
This is not his car. He mentioned a few times it was a relative of his.

Reactions: Lou O. and Gerard 2

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,262 Posts
A little puzzled at the thread title "hole in transmission", but its the engine that lost oil?

Reactions: BrianC302

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I was just taking photos with the phone and this “hole” showed some new light colored oil. I think since this is a “normal hole” then this oil is coming from somewhere above it. Yeah it is unfortunate that this occurred and thanks to this thread to stop me from plugging that hole

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,457 Posts
It appears clearly he need a pro to inspect and determine what going on. Especially as it not his and doesn't drive it regularly for diagnoses. Too much guessing with few true facts and details. Guessing on the block itself its red light. IMO
Have a good mechanic check it over.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
856 Posts
That hole is a weep hole. It's use is as an indicator for engine main seal or transmission torque converter seal leaks.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,183 Posts
When the oil light comes on, the ignition should go off very quickly after that! Continued driving with no oil pressure is a perfect recipe for engine destruction!

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,262 Posts
Yeah I was just taking photos with the phone and this “hole” showed some new light colored oil. I think since this is a “normal hole” then this oil is coming from somewhere above it. Yeah it is unfortunate that this occurred and thanks to this thread to stop me from plugging that hole
What's your plans with this engine?

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima EX-T and 2016 KIA Sorento SX
24 Posts
View attachment 121467

im pretty sure this is not normal. there is some oil leaking at this point where the engine meets the transmission.

jb weld? How does one even begin addressing this issue. I see the moveable rectangle piece above it and I am guess that is how one checks the transmission fluid level. My relative drove 5 hrs and was almost out of oil. I added 4 quarts but need to address the leak. Plan tomorrow is to take it to the shop and have them flush the engine to mitigate the possible damage of drivinf on low oil.
That looks to be the transmission to engine mating area. There are seals in that area. More specifically, the engine crankshaft rear seal where it leaves the engine and mates to the torque converter.
The loss of oil, that its black instead of red, and that its coming out of that particular weephole would be a good indicator that the rear main seal is leaking. A minor leak is something that will need to be addressed soon. A major leak (engine running out of oil) needs to be fixed immediately.
The better news is that its considered part of the drive train and covered under KIA's 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty if you are the original owner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts