Kia Forum banner

Hold Flashing Help

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  96turtle 
#1 ·
my check engine light came on and the hold light flashs.went to auto zone and checked.the numbers 1624 and 0705 came up.I dont have any problems with trans. or power.What to do .Any help please.

#2 ·
P1624 - MIL request from TCM to ECM. You can ignore this code. This code sets when the TCM (Transmission Control Unit) detects an error and in turn tells the engine computer to turn on the CEL.

P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Essentially the TCM detected a problem determining what gear the transmission is in. Probably a dirty range switch. Send me an e-mail at mjats@juno.com and I'll forward to you the section of the FSM that you'll need to fix this problem.

#3 ·
I see a lot of folks talking about the p1624 code. I have it too. The first thing to go wrong on my car was that a fuse would blow when I would shift into park from drive. If I replaced the fuse, which also feeds the dash gauges, it wound be fine until I shifted back into park. I found if I shut off the engine before I shifted to park it wouldn't blow the fuse. When the fuse would blow, The hold light would come on and the trans would go into saftey mode and stay in 3rd gear all of the time.

I kept replacing fuses an then it seemed to go away. Now, recently I started getting an engine light. It would stay on for a while and then go away. Now I have an engine light and the hold light flashes. I don't seem to have less power but it is very hard to start. I bought a code reader and it gave me two codes. P1624 and P1115. I'm thinking that maybe I have a bad TCM but I hate to spend $350 on the chance that that is it. Any ideas what it might be other than that?

Thanks, Terry

#4 ·
P1115 - Water Temperature Signal Malfunction.

This is a very common failure on Sportages with automatic transmissions. Essentially the TCM cannot read the engine temperature. When that happens the TCM will not allow the shift into overdrive and will set this troublecode. The TCM is not bad. There is a wiring problem between the TCM and ECM. Send me an e-mail at mjats@juno.com and I'll forward to you the data you need to fix the wiring issue.

#6 ·
Just got back from the dealership with the same problem (2001 Sportage EX) Code p1115 ECT Signal and P1624 ECU - TCU.

Very minor fix, they found a poor connection at white with green trace wires from the ECU to the TCU. They adjusted the teminals and added stabalent to the white and green trace wires. They also cleared the codes. Took about 20 minutes from start to finish!

What does all of that mean? Don't know, but the check engine and hold lights are not flashing anymore so I'm happy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.