Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a Hitch Reciever to the back of my 2012 Sorento LX.

Does anyone have recommendation on a brand? I would like one that is tucked under the vehicle and not as noticable.

Any pictures to go with recomendations would be great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. Curt was the brand I was looking at primarily, but had not seen that site with the install video and photos.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
234 Posts

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
geeksrus, I went to the link and started from the homepage. When I stepped through, on one method it showed the Curt while another showed the hitch you suggested.

I have an SX and from the images, I'm not sure that design would fit. It would be great seeing pictures.

I'm curious because I just installed an Invisihitch/Execuhitch. I'd like to compare. I'll post pictures later...if I remember.

Interesting design for the Invisihitch. The receiver is detachable and the main part of the hitch is behind the bumper. When the receiver is detached, you can't see anything.

I did have some issues installing it. I did it myself and I'm trying to resolve one or two issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From photos the Hidden Hitch and Drawtight both hang down noticeably on the passenger side.

As for the Invisihitch, I like the idea, but its only a class 1 reciever and I need a 2" reciever.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
The invisihitch/execuhitch is a class 3 with a 2" receiver. Rated for 3500 lbs. That's what I was told and that's what the documentation I received says. Couldn't find it on their site though.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
etrailer.com

They have pictures and an install video. Very good site and I have purchased many times from them. The Curt hitch is good. If you use a bike rack with it, you need the straps to secure the bike and basically keep it from banging into the rack, that's all. The strap usually comes with the bike rack. I got the THULE rack and it came with a strap that you tie around the bike and through the bike rack itself. It also looks nice and clean on install, doesn't protrude out far or anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think im going ot go with the Curt. I dont plan to use a bike rack, but who knows in the future. Primary use will be a cargo basket, and my small lawnmower trailer. Maybe the jetski at some point.

I did find that Amazon has the cheapest price on the Curt and wiring harness. by about $40. - also free shipping.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Related question, What wiring harness is everyone using?
I think each hitch maker (Curt & Cequent...(Reese, Drawtite, HiddenHitch)) also makes a harness, and I don't think there is much difference between them. Be sure you get the harness that matches whether or not your car has the factory wiring. Invisihitch/Execuhitch makes their own unique harness.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Invisihitch/Execuhitch Pics

Some pics of the install of the invisihitch/execuhitch.

Note that the cost of the receiver is in addition to the hitch.

This is the manual version. When i was purchasing, i wasn't considering the electric automated version. Too many possible issues later. I asked about it, though, and was told it wasn't available. Not sure if they meant for sorento or i general. Didn't pursue it as i only wanted manual.

The receiver can be locked in so cannot be removed without a key, if you want.

I haven't installed a harness yet. When purchasing, asked about it and was told they resell/repackage a curt harness.

Attachments

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
So about a week ago, I emailed the dealer that sold me my Sorento and asked how much it would cost to install an OEM hitch/receiver. They got around to answering me today and I was told $700 and they can do it 4 days from now since they don't have all the parts in stock. I guess life at the dealer must be pretty sweet when you can let that kind of business slip away.

I waited 3 days for a response and when I didn't get one, I bought a Curt C;ass III receiver/hitch/wiring on Amazon for under $200 delivered. Looks like about an hour for me to install it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
How would I determine this?
Look under the driver side rear portion of the bumper. If you have the LX model V6, you should have the plug-in there. I have the LX V6 and have the connector. There is a picture floating around here somewhere of it. I would post a pic but I am currently in jury duty....:mad:

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
If you didn't buy the tow package with the car, you don't have the harness. I found that reply to be curious. If you've got the wiring, you also already have the receiver.
Cequent (Drawtite, Reese, etc.) offers their #118541 harness for cars with the factory wiring, and their #118506 for cars without the factory tow wiring. Curt offers their #56151 for cars with the factory tow wiring and #56163 for cars except the SX (and I know something in Curt's description doesn't make sense--what about EX & LX w/o factory wiring?).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cequent (Drawtite, Reese, etc.) offers their #118541 harness for cars with the factory wiring, and their #118506 for cars without the factory tow wiring. Curt offers their #56151 for cars with the factory tow wiring and #56163 for cars except the SX (and I know something in Curt's description doesn't make sense--what about EX & LX w/o factory wiring?).
My LX came with the factory connection. I did not get the tow package, but I have the connection. I have only seen the 4cyl models that did not have the factory wiring, where they have to actually run cable straight to the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great hitch, harness no so much

I went with the Curt 13073 from Amazon and am very happy with hitch. It mounted pretty easily and is very strong. I also bought the Curt t-connector 56100 harness but it only worked for a few uses. I called Curt and they sent me another one, but again that only lasted a few uses. I recently installed a Reese Towready 85726 harness, which costs almost twice as much. Hopefully that one will be reliable. So far, so good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts