Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im considering a hitch basket rather than roof racks . roof racks are gonna cost over $400 as I don't have any roof rails . a trailer hitch and cargo basket would be a bit less but can hold 500 lbs rather than 125 the racks could carry . anyone tried this ? any pictures? the pros and cons ? its just Im a little short on space when I load up to go camping

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
curtis hitches

made up my mind . ordered a Curtis hitch . 134 Canadian $ free shipping . now to choose a basket

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Max rated tongue weight, per the owners manual page 5-67, is only 200lbs(91kg). You are going to be way over that.

Nice choice on the bike by the way. I had two of them and would get another if I was allowed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the basket will be about 30 lbs . I don't intend to put to much weight on there . no more than 200 for sure . just one one or two plastic containers with some camping gear. and only a few times per year .

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
I'm considering a basket too for camping. One decision I've already made is to put lights on the rear of the basket because it will definitely cover the turn signals. I think that would be a smart move for everyone from a safety standpoint.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found a 60 inch one on sale at princess auto $74 . but took out the measureing tape and it will cover most of the turn signals . decided to get a Curtis #18145 its 48 " x 20" and looks like it wont hide the signal lights . cost is $90 . will try to find it on sale some where or something similar . but 48 x 20 seems to be the best size for the sportage

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for anyone who wants a hitch in Canada . hitch usa delivered in 2 days . shipped from Canada . no duty or shipping . with the exchange rate total price was 142 . it was a Curtis hitch made in America . 10 min to install

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
off road clearance

getting this one as it gives more clearance for going down or up steep drops on rough roads .

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on car now

hitch basket is on the car . it fits perfect . i made an anti rattle device at work for it . I still fit in a parking spot with room to spare . total cost with the hitch was under $190 Canadian .

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
478 Posts
How does it do with weight in it? I mostly wonder how much the back squats if you for example you were to stand in it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
weight

i stood on it .220 lbs . sagged about one inch . im fully loaded on a camping trip and there is no noticeable sag at all thats with about 120 lbs on the basket and the kia loaded up inside . i cant notice any differance when driveing . no problems parking in a regular parking spot . over all the set up has exceded all my expectations . i have two rubbermade storage containers on it and its has givein me that extra room needed for stuff

·
Registered
Rip 04 nissan sentra 07 honda fit sport trade in now my new 2011 Kia sportage
32 Posts
I got one from harbor freight love it drive with it all the time I extended with a tube and then welded its and I use it like a truck lol just threw stuff in the back

1 - 19 of 19 Posts