Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought our 2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD yesterday. We will be buying a small pop up trailer and need to equip the Sorento for towing. Planning on max GVWR 3500. Dealer said they would install a class 2 hitch with 4 pin wiring for $680. 7 pin wiring would be another $300 upgrade.
I see there is a adapter for 4 pin wiring to make it 7 pin (haven't bought our camper yet so not sure what we will need).
Should we do the dealer hitch install? Is class 2 hitch enough? Should we get the install done somewhere else? I would love some advice. We are new to towing. Always been tent campers.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX+ V6 AWD
111 Posts
I would be hesitant to tow much beyond a large utility trailer without a trailer brake (requires the 7-pin) and brake controller. Many jurisdictions have their own laws about it. In Colorado I believe it’s anything > 3,000 lbs requires a brake. So it ultimately depends on what weight you see yourself hauling now or in the future; particularly with the V6 which is capable of up to 5,000 lbs, when properly equipped.

In my mind, if most of the trailers you are looking at have a brake, go with the 7-pin.

http://trailers.com/state-laws/colorado.php

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
548 Posts
I bought my class 3 hitch online (etrailer.com) for a little over $130, and had my mechanic install it for $90 or so. The only downside is that the hitch receiver sets low (underneath the bumper). But there's an easy fix for that..

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/MaxxTow/MT70067.html

The pictures they show on the site have the ball mount pointing down, but it can be flipped the other way to get a higher rise. My white Sorento is actually one of the customer pics on that page. That shows how I have it installed.

In general, the 7-pin connectors are for much larger things that require brakes on the trailer wheels. But it's no big deal either way.. a 7-to-4 pin adapter is probably $20. etrailer.com should have that too. As long as the pop-up doesn't exceed 5000 lbs, that's all that matters.

The V6 is rated for 5000 lbs, so it can handle a class 3. I think the hitch itself can take 7500, but the adjustable ball mount is rated for 5000.. so that kind of works out for the Sorento.

Have fun.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
483 Posts
The 4/7 pin converter doesn't add braking, you need a separate controller for that. It just lets you use the setup with a different plug in but it's very dangerous to go from 4 pin to 7 pin with just an adapter since you are bypassing the reason that trailer has a 7 pin plug (brakes!). I wouldn't tow 3500lbs without brakes with any vehicle but certainly not something as light duty as the Sorento. Over 3500lbs and I want dual axle with dual brakes.

Installing your own Class III hitch is no big deal if you have two people and some ramps to put the back end of the car up on. The hitch is around $130, the light harness (which is plug and play on your model w/V6 engine) another $30. Took me, working by myself, about 3 hours to install. U-Haul can also install a similar hitch for about half what the dealer wants although I think they're hesitant to install the brake controller.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,231 Posts
I'm also in Colorado, and you can get a good quality Class III hitch, with wiring, installed at an independent shop for a LOT less than the dealer is quoting just for the hitch. What part of the State are you in?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice! Law in CO is 3,000lb for trailer brakes plus seems smart anyway. I will make sure to have the 7 pin. Sounds like there is no reason to have the dealer do the hitch and they are so over priced. We did install a class 2 hitch on our CRV (only used for bikes) from etrailer but we aren't generally very mechanically inclined. So, I might find someone to do it for us. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,231 Posts
If you want to see how it lined up on a '16 (same design), send me a PM and I can show it to you.
The one difference is that I don';t think your LX has the pre-wiring for the trailer under the cover behind the driver's rear, so that may complicate the wiring bit of your installation. But they'll be able to let you know.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
548 Posts
I can confirm the 2016 V6 LX has the pre-wiring. Forgot to mention that before. I was told that all the V6 models come with the pre-wiring (by the service manager at the Kia dealership that I bought it from).

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,231 Posts
Sweet. The OP will get a cleaner install that way. It's so easy, then, that I'd recommend he just order up the cable and install it himself after the hitch is in. I can show him what that looks like, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 sedona. Last year I pulled a 17" Casita from Omaha, NE to various state parks in NM and back, lived in it for about 4 months. I had a 4 prong electric hookup. This year I went from VT to NE to LA to MS to NE and soon to return to VT. But I added a 7 prong connector for that trip, I like to use the car to run the refrig and I have the extra brake on the Casita. I added all the parts I got from etrailer. That was the hitch, brake controller, wiring, 7 prong, rubber spring inserts that use air to help to keep the rear end higher. You could probably check a U-HAUL place, they probably know all the answers, just have to hope they are honest. I cannot say that there was a difference between the 4 and 7 prong, but it must be a good safety issue. My only worry is the sedona says you never need to change the trans oil or an easy way to see if it is okay. Happy camping!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts