Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6 Luxury
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 Sorento EX V6 Luxury, has anyone noticed a Hissing sound from the dash / like something leaking from the pipes when the vents are set to Defrost mode and Defrost/leg mode only . You can hear it while on park or idle with the fan in the lowest setting/level . But when i switch it to the face mode , the hissing sound goes away. I know if the AC is on the Compressor make this similar noise, but i don't understand why it's making this noise even though i have it in Heat, It's winter here in Canada. Sometimes when i turn the car off when the heat is still blowing i hear a Bubbling Sound for about 5-6 seconds.

I thought there is a break in period for the compressor , but at 7000 kms its still making the noise.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
Is the carper wet on the passenger side? If so, the A/C hose is clogged and draining inside. I had the exact same symptoms on my 2011 LX. 5 minute fix at the dealer on warranty.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
In most cars, there are some HVAC (heating, ventilating, air conditioning, & defroster) items in the dash that are operated by vacuum, or pneumatically. These items get powered by engine vacuum, or pressure, through a tiny hose. I'm guessing a hose is accidently disconnected, and that's what you hear.

Do you hear this hissing noise at any time as you operate any of these H.V.A.C. items, or functions with the engine off?

If not, this would confirm my theory.

The problem is, trying to find the open hose?
If any of the H.V.A.C. functions do not work properly, that may be the key.
Sometimes a vacuum hose is used to open, or close a ventilating duct door.
Good Luck, Mike

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Is the carper wet on the passenger side? If so, the A/C hose is clogged and draining inside. I had the exact same symptoms on my 2011 LX. 5 minute fix at the dealer on warranty.
Meaning: The A/C condensation relief drain hose

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike , when i shut off the engine i hear a bubbling / water boiling for about 5-7 secondsthen it disappears. As for the hissing noise i can hear it while driving on a quiet street or quiet area when the heater fan is in its minimum settings. The hissing is not consistent , sometimes is loud that even my wife hears it and sometimes it's moderate.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
763 Posts
This sounds similar to something I experienced with my previous car, 2001 Santa fe, especially the bubbling. The radiator cap was failing. This was allowing pressure/fluid from the radiator to 'leak' and coolant that overflowed was bubbling/boiling into the overflow bottle.

When you hear this, open hood and see if you can pin point sound. Don't touch things you're not familiar with or at least be careful. Pay particular attention to the overflow bottle.

When it happened to me, I could see the overflow bottle clearly showed what was happening.

The other thing I saw was that the coolant level in the overflow bottle was not within low and hi marks. I refilled but then later, the level would drop again. This happened as some fluid was evaporating/boiling.

To confirm, a new $10-$20 radiator cap fixed the problem.

This may not be the problem, though.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
No. Dealer unclogged the drain hose and everything has been fine. Hissing sound, bubbling sound and went carpet all went away.
Simple fix! Glad to hear! ;)

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
763 Posts
Glad to hear.

Where is the drain hose located? Is this something we can do ourselves? Would save a trip to the dealer and come in handy sooner or later.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
It does go out. However, when it gets clogged, the water from the AC backs up and fills the top of the glove box.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked the carpet....it's dry , checked the radiator cap and the monitored the fluid lever from the reservior, it seemed to be in a constant level.

Funny thing is sometimes there is no bubbling noise. but most of the times it makes the noise! and everytime i take it to the dealer it does not make the bubbling sound and the service manager thinks i amd dicking around with them.

Besides the bubbling sound does anyone have a noisy dash and door pannel? mine makes a sound whenever the roads are slightly uneven. And my streak of bad luck continued with this car ....today i noticed a squeaking noise from the rear . So when i inspected it furthermore, i tried pressing at the bumper and it makes a squeaking noise like an old bed. I think it could be the shocks or springs? My Sorento is not even 5 months old and i already have all these issues!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts