Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman,

Recently I've noticed my Sorento (over 100,000 miles) starts to get a shake in the front end when i hit 75ish and gets worse when I get up to about 80MPH. If I set the cruise control at 70, no shake.

I get confused easily and a lot of the mechanics around here try and loose you in repair gibberish and get you to spend an arm and a leg:mad:. Do I need a front end "Balance" or do I need an 'Alignment"?:confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Not familiar with a "front end balance", but an alignment check should be done periodically anyways. The shake could be as simple as a tire out of balance (those little weights they put on the rims).

Another possibility is worn out suspension parts, but I would check on the tires first.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
And check for any sign of tyre damage or bulging, particularly if you are planning to drive at speed. As the tyres are being balanced, check that they seem to be nice and round (no more that a couple of mm of wobble when spun).

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento 2WD 3.5---- Now at the Junk yard
62 Posts
Just wondering how you get away driving 75 to 80 without tickets?:lol:

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,903 Posts
Who said it was without tickets? :rolleyes:

Speed sensitive steering wobble is front wheel balance (usually). speed sensitive vibration through "seat of pants" is typically rear wheel balance. You could try swapping front/rear wheels to see if problem 'moves', before going to a shop.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. I've gotten one ticket the past year for doing 80 and passing on the right on the Expressway, but usually I can cruise control set at 75MPH and pass Sherrifs and they dont pull me over. Its the flow of traffic. Im not zooming past people and bobbing in and out of lanes or anything. Left lane all the way.

Thing I hate is people in the left lane doing 60. Learn the rules of the road and move the slower traffic to the right.^_^

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
LOL. I've gotten one ticket the past year for doing 80 and passing on the right on the Expressway, but usually I can cruise control set at 75MPH and pass Sherrifs and they dont pull me over. Its the flow of traffic. Im not zooming past people and bobbing in and out of lanes or anything. Left lane all the way.

Thing I hate is people in the left lane doing 60. Learn the rules of the road and move the slower traffic to the right.^_^
Especially around here where i81, i84, i380 and i80 are all within easy reach, the average speed is 75, the cops don't really do anything unless you're weaving, passing on right, or blowing by the people that are doing 75-80 ;)

Didn't think to suggest yesturday a tire rotation to see if the vibration "moves" around with the tires.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I wish the cops here had your enlightened attitude, everytime here lately they build a nice new expressway the seem to revise the speed limit DOWN if anything, cars, roads, and safety features have all improved out of sight in the last 30 years but we are still stuck with the same speed limits set 60 years ago.
And God help you if you even exceed them by more than 3 Km an hour because speed guns, and fixed and mobile cameras, are all waiting to help you subsidise the government tax income, and you are labeled as some sort of maniacal killer.
For some strange reason they seem to think that cars built to travel safely in excess of 160 Km hour overseas, become death traps here once you go over 100 / 110 here. This was even when the same cars could apparently still safely travel at 130 on Northern Territory roads.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
For some strange reason they seem to think that cars built to travel safely in excess of 160 Km hour overseas, become death traps here once you go over 100/ 110 here in Australia. This was even when the same cars could apparently still safely travel at 130 on Northern Territory roads.
What bugs me is that speed limits apply in all road conditions. Exceed 100 km/h on deserted higways in good weather and it will cost you, but it's apparently OK to do 100 km/h on secondary roads at night in the wet.

130 km/h in the NT (outback) seems about right to me; much faster than that and you'll be looking for fuel stops. It used to be unrestricted in the NT until a few grossly overloaded vans crashed, spoiling everyone's fun.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento EX light blue, 2013 Lincoln MKZ Pearl White
79 Posts
Hi, same thing happened to my 2005 Sorento. It shook like crazy over 75 mph. I replaced the front sway bar stabilizer links from the spindle to the bar. Problem solved!! Got them off e-bay around $13.00 each. Worked like a charm! Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts