Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a short trip the other day (prior to my county going to 'stay-in-place' yesterday). I got 26.4 mpg which I think is pretty decent. The vehicle is a 2019 with V6 engine. I went 196.5 miles with approximately 85% of that being highway. I would normally go longer before filling up but wanted to confine the driving to highway as much as I could. It takes me about 15 minutes of secondary roads just to get to the interstate. Then I took that into Baltimore city for a brief time. Then I filled up as soon as I got off the interstate on returning to my area.

Ideally I would like to get gas right off an interstate, then drive for 300 miles or more and then fill up again right off the freeway so that it would be more like 98% highway. I bet I could average 28 or more with almost no off highway driving. I think that the sweet spot though is between 40 and 50 mph. By 40 mph you're already in 8th gear but not pushing as much air out of the way as you are at 65. Anyone else have a good highway mileage to share?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,853 Posts
I wish I got that kind of mileage with my Ford Edge 2.7L twin turbo - on winter blend I get 20 to 21 mpg, and summer blend 22 to 23 mpg - my daily commute is 70% interstate which I do at 80 mph.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,348 Posts
Gosh, ONLY 15 minutes to get to an Interstate? :) Out here in the "boonies" we do pretty good MPG as towns are rather far apart and traffic is nil(more wildlife and farm animals seen than cars), and speed limits are 55mph between towns on secondary (2 lane read that 1 lane each direction) roads! Rarely do we get "Interstate" driving for the majority of our driving! :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I wish I got that kind of mileage with my Ford Edge 2.7L twin turbo - on winter blend I get 20 to 21 mpg, and summer blend 22 to 23 mpg - my daily commute is 70% interstate which I do at 80 mph.
Besides it being a FORD, try putting a EGG under the gas pedal!...ROFL :) ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that 2.7 twin turbo is a beast. I'll bet your Edge is quicker than my Sorento too. Also 80 mph is going to kill mpg. Not saying you should be going slower. I don't know your situation. Just saying that 80 is not conducive to good mpg. especially is a big SUV. Where I live 80 is way over the limit. I try to stay about 5 mph over the limit. I'm old, but I haven't had a ticket in forever. (knocks on wood :) )

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,853 Posts
Well, that 2.7 twin turbo is a beast. I'll bet your Edge is quicker than my Sorento too. Also 80 mph is going to kill mpg. Not saying you should be going slower. I don't know your situation. Just saying that 80 is not conducive to good mpg. especially is a big SUV. Where I live 80 is way over the limit. I try to stay about 5 mph over the limit. I'm old, but I haven't had a ticket in forever. (knocks on wood :) )
Around here the interstate speed limit is 70 mpg, but all traffic moves at 80 mpg so I keep up with them to avoid being rear ended, .......and I'm sticking with that story.

Reminds me of the time I did a road trip to Chicago. I don't know what their highway speed limits are, but even for this lead foot it was scary keeping up with the traffic there.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
488 Posts
My experience has been that you need several fill ups after putting 300+ miles per tank to accurately calculate the mileage. Not saying it didn't get 26.4mpg, just that a shortish drive like that isn't going to return an accurate calculation and never mind the overly optimistic trip computer in the car - I only wish it got the mileage it shows :) I have found myself getting a pretty solid 23mpg in mixed driving, 27+ on extended highway trips so it's surprisingly better than I had anticipated. Plus, only needing regular grade is nice as well. Of course, now gas is $1.65 in Tucson with nowhere to go :(

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Of course, now gas is $1.65 in Tucson with nowhere to go :(
IF I was to go visit my daughter(65 miles away), I could stop 13 miles before there and fill up at $1.20/gal US at a large Indian reservation. Done it many times before the oil war and Covid-19 came along, but then price was only about $.50/gal cheaper than normal stations, we had been around $2.70/gal before!
Just to keep folks informed...Have had ZERO "ill effects" from the old adage of "cheap Indian gas"! And have been getting their fuels for 8 years now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My experience has been that you need several fill ups after putting 300+ miles per tank to accurately calculate the mileage. Not saying it didn't get 26.4mpg, just that a shortish drive like that isn't going to return an accurate calculation and never mind the overly optimistic trip computer in the car - I only wish it got the mileage it shows :) I have found myself getting a pretty solid 23mpg in mixed driving, 27+ on extended highway trips so it's surprisingly better than I had anticipated. Plus, only needing regular grade is nice as well. Of course, now gas is $1.65 in Tucson with nowhere to go :(
I hear what you're saying Tom. My goal though with that trip and this thread was to try to make it strictly highway (or as much highway as I could). That's why it was only 196 miles. I regularly track my fuel mileage in Fuelly. Since I've had this Sorento since new I'm averaging 23.3 mpg. That's 14 fill-ups and 3389 miles. It should get even better, I'm thinking. It was a brand new car so the early fill-ups were on an unbroken-in engine. I bought it in December so all of my miles have been with 'winter' fuel. Now that the engine had loosened up some and summer fuel will hit some time soon, I'm expecting the average to up a little bit.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
I hear what you're saying Tom. My goal though with that trip and this thread was to try to make it strictly highway (or as much highway as I could). That's why it was only 196 miles. I regularly track my fuel mileage in Fuelly. Since I've had this Sorento since new I'm averaging 23.3 mpg. That's 14 fill-ups and 3389 miles. It should get even better, I'm thinking. It was a brand new car so the early fill-ups were on an unbroken-in engine. I bought it in December so all of my miles have been with 'winter' fuel. Now that the engine had loosened up some and summer fuel will hit some time soon, I'm expecting the average to up a little bit.
Hi. Just my two cents worth but I track my mileage consistently with Fuelly also and w/14+ k miles my combined average is 21+ with highest highway @ 25+. But that's has been achieved a number of times on long highway runs, say 300+ miles or more so I'm confident in the highway number and I'm pretty sure it would do better at a lower speeds (I can't drive 55!). Again that's Fuelly averages so pretty much real world as opposed to trip computer numbers that I've seen inch up over 27-28 on the highway! On average I find the trip computer on mine to be generally about 5% on the optimistic side.

Odd that 5% is about the same # as on my wife's 2001 BMW and as it was on my 2003 Durango! I just wonder sometimes if that's just sorta of an industry standard designed in number to try and make us all think we're getting better gas mileage than we actually are?;)

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
488 Posts
Odd that 5% is about the same # as on my wife's 2001 BMW and as it was on my 2003 Durango! I just wonder sometimes if that's just sorta of an industry standard designed in number to try and make us all think we're getting better gas mileage than we actually are?;)
I vote yes - never had a vehicle with a trip computer parrot the correct gas mileage. It's a simple thing to fix, my aftermarket Scan Gauge II lets you "correct" the mileage at each fill up which, after about five of six tanks, gets you a dead accurate MPG reading. Manufacturers could do the same thing but then that wouldn't help them sell cars :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wonder sometimes if that's just sorta of an industry standard designed in number to try and make us all think we're getting better gas mileage than we actually are?;)
As stated in post #1, I got 26.4 mpg for that trip according to Fuelly (which uses good old math). My Sorento on the other hand was telling me that I got 28.1 mpg for those same miles. Things that make me go, Hmmmm…… :unsure:

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima FE 2.4L
24 Posts
many buy more vehicle than they really need because they can! girlfriends 2.4L FWD 18 optima gets in the hi 30's on the highway + low to mid 20's putting locally. AWD unless needed is more $$ to buy + run + upkeep + i cant see buying one especially a loaded AWD model, as for trucks they serve a purpose that anything else can't SOMETIMES, but they are better than ever with todays technology as pickups got around 10 mpgs years ago. anything heavier looses in stop + go but like older caddys once rollin NOT BAD for what they are!!

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
196 Posts
I've noticed when I do highway drives at 80 mph, the computer reports 26 mpg. When I'm on a slow highway around 50 mph, the computer reports 32 mpg.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
548 Posts
I would say I average 28-30mpg on the highway. On short trips on a flat stretch of highway in the summer, I've seen it as high as 34-35. When I'm heading up to the NH mountains with winter tires on, it's probably closer to 25. I stopped paying close attention to this, but based on how often I have to fill up the tank, I think it's about the same today (at 85k miles) as it was when I bought it (at 15k miles).

If I could keep my speed under 80 mph, those numbers would be even better, but I live in the Boston metro area. People will shoot your tires if you drive less than 70 on route 128 :p

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
My best 200 mi light traffic interstate highway mileage was very close to 28. These days I'm getting 3 weeks / gallon.
Not going very far or often are we....LOL
Hang in there, I hope and pray that this virus gets "whacked out" soon!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD V6 EX-Sangria with stone beige leather
35 Posts
I checked the mileage on my first full tank today. It is a 2019 with 17,000 miles on it. I used the same pump at the same angle and depth on both fill-ups. I mainly wanted to see how far off the computer was compared to reality. The car said it got 26.4 MPG and it was 25.07 calculated by hand. I live in the sticks in the mountains so there is no city or level highways around, Both the country roads and interstate are either upgrades or downgrades. I think my driving was a fair combination of what I normally do. I was pleased as the Honda CRV I recently sold would have done between 27 and 28 in the same conditions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts