Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondered who has the highest mileage or kilometer 3rd generation Rio out there. Any issues? How long do the brakes & tyres last?Any issues with the direct injection carbon build up? Do the dashboard rattles get worse?

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX 6spd
59 Posts
I just rolled over to 45,000km this morning. It's a 2012 that I took delivery of in April 2012.

No real wear on tires yet, but that figure is split between the tires that came on the car and snows that went on in November.

I haven't looked at the brakes, but the mileage I have is probably 95% highway so they should be OK. They feel fine when I do use them.

There are a few rattles that I can hear from time to time, from the dash and passenger side door, but they haven't gotten worse. We'll see if they continue as the weather warms up.

As far as carbon buildup, I can't really tell, but power doesn't feel like it's falling off at all.

I've had no mechanical issues. The only thing I can currently complain about is that sometimes I have to go to the phone setup to manually re-connect my phone. Most times it connects automatically.

Average fuel consumption has been 6.9l/100km over that time. It's taken a beating over the winter, I've had a hard time getting under 7l/100km since winter started, hopefully that will get better once we're off the winter gas. Low sixes (even sometimes sub-six) were easily achievable in the summer months.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian.Which model Rio do you have? LX,LX+,EX or SX?

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX Sedan
49 Posts
I bought my 2012 LX sedan on 2/20/12 and now have just over 30k miles. To make a long story short, I already had to have the short block of the engine replaced.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
that's a lot of KM in 11 months!

Ours has roughly 21,500KM on it, purchased late May '12. Issues so far:

• Jerky throttle on takeoff issue i've mentioned many times, still unresolved
  • pings if you don't run it on premium fuel in warmer weather
  • drivers door has dropped slightly causing a mild rattle (three door, heavy doors)
  • steering wheel leather (ha) is wearing prematurely
  • dash starts to rattle over bumps after long drives
  • noisy a/c pulley bearing
  • very darty in the rear end over bumps
Might sound like a lot of things but many of them are minor, and most will be fixed very soon.

We do a lot of heavy traffic trips so it wears more than a country car. The brakes have lost punch that's for sure but we do a lot of braking, and a lot of emergency braking with the idiots around here. Tyres look to have worn to around 60-70%. They're the continental contact 2 soft compound 17's so they wear quickly.

Still a great car.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2012 LX sedan with just over 30k miles. To make a long story short, I already had to have the short block of the engine replaced.
Why did they replace your engine block?

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
I got my 2013 LX in September and have just over 20K commuter miles. No issues.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
27000 miles (43400km) purchase date 3/2/12

Only issue so far Is the pinging that never seems to go away. Unfortunately the dealer says its "normal" And "what do you care you have a 100000 mile warranty"!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
14000 miles (22400km) purchased on 1/31/2012.

Last summer I had two occasions within two weeks with overheating.

The first time I was on a road trip in Chicago and I had the feeling the dealer wanted to get it fixed as soon as possible to avoid any additional costs through rental car.

The second time two weeks later my local dealer replaced a part and it has not occurred every since.

Other than that I don't have any issues. The gas mileage keeps still improving, don't have any pinging or rattling issues.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Ive done just over 44,000km and have had the car 1year next week. Issues Ive had:

-leather steering wheel peeling (leatherette, its like glad wrap)
-launch control issues with larger wheels (turning it off fixes it)
-front bumper mount not connecting properly under right side headlight

They the only issues Ive had. Nothing major

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
27000 miles (43400km) purchase date 3/2/12

Only issue so far Is the pinging that never seems to go away. Unfortunately the dealer says its "normal" And "what do you care you have a 100000 mile warranty"!
mine also does it, mainly in hotter weather - try running yours on 95RON which i think is about 91AKI for you guys.. mine doesn't ping at all on premium, but it's a pain in the backside having to pay for it. Pinging is not good! And the answer you got from the dealer is just pure stupidity and shows how much they know about fixing engines.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
One year with Sedan EX 2012

I've put 10,000 km on my 2012 EX Sedan auto. So far so good. Be one year in April. Here's a honest evaluation.

•FE: AVG around 6.9L/100km. Hard to get under 7L this winter. Disappointing.
•Mechanic: 0 problem. No pinging. 75/25 Supreme/Regular gas.
•Brakes: 0 problem but seem fragile.
•No peeling on leatherette covered surfaces.
•Rattles: small ones in the dash passenger side. Will be tken care of soon.
•Body: driver front door not flush with the body (1/16 inch)
•Body: trunk not flush with body on right side (1/8 inc)
•AC: not very cold.
•Heating: hot as a hell.
•UVO: has a mind of its own when it comes to pairing ZTE phone. Pairs 1/3.
•Horrible road noise.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX Sedan
49 Posts
Why did they replace your engine block?
The car was losing power and making strange noise. The dealer found metal in the oil. They removed engine and found 2 crank bearings loose causing harsh vibration and metal distributed throughout the engine. They replaced the short block assembly.

Now my check engine light came on today. I checked fuses and one was out, so I replaced it. The traction control light also came on, then went out again. I dropped the car off at the dealer...they need to solve these issues ASAP. My patience is wearing thin.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
mine also does it, mainly in hotter weather - try running yours on 95RON which i think is about 91AKI for you guys.. mine doesn't ping at all on premium, but it's a pain in the backside having to pay for it. Pinging is not good! And the answer you got from the dealer is just pure stupidity and shows how much they know about fixing engines.
I had run premium fuel for several tanks without any improvement so I decided that it made no sense to spend the extra money If it doesn't help.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
I had run premium fuel for several tanks without any improvement so I decided that it made no sense to spend the extra money If it doesn't help.
I love it… “you have a 100000 mile warranty!”… what good is it if you cant use it! It is a warranty issue so freakin fix it! Engines shouldn’t ping! Stupid kia.

Jeepers Creepers

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
I have a feeling this car that i bought to last me 10 plus years wont last 5..... should've bought something else. Yet to have any issues though... fingers crossed....

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I have a feeling this car that i bought to last me 10 plus years wont last 5..... should've bought something else. Yet to have any issues though... fingers crossed....
If you have yet to have any issues with it then why are you saying it won't last 5 years? Because of problems others are having? Read any other car forum. People have problems with cars. Don't judge unless you have a problem with YOUR car. I'm impressed with my Kia for what I paid. Would I feel differently if I was having any of the problems mentioned? Yes. Til then though...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts