Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if u all have been watching my posts, i have a problem 00 sportage. i recently did the rings and now it starts right up and has alot more pwr but still not as much as i had hoped. anyway since i did the rings the idle is at about 1100-1200 and i recently got a code from the iac saying its to high so i erased it and went on and the idle is still that high. i have about 29 miles since the rings as it doesnt have a plate so i have to drive it around my neighborhood when i can to break in the rings.

any ideas as to why the idle is high or is it just because the rings havent seated yet?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The IAC valve controls air to the throttle body / is what adjusts idle, so I think that's your answer - the IAC valve is commanding the high idle condition.

re: power, bearing in mind the Sporty's are geared for torque vs. speed, power will be less than a sedan (e.g. Honda Civic), just due to the gearing..

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have cleaned the iac twice now with no diff. so why is it high?

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Can you get a vacuum gauge reading?

On 1st gen sportage I check for vacuum leak by unplugging the MAF, if idle adjusts to normal you likely have illegal air somewhere.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i unplugged the maf before the rings and it just turned off. should it do that?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,854 Posts
If the IAC is good, then it's most likely a vacuum leak in the inlet manifold after the throttle body.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the IAC is good, then it's most likely a vacuum leak in the inlet manifold after the throttle body.
by that u mean the gasket or the vac hose on top?
r those the only things?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,854 Posts
by that u mean the gasket or the vac hose on top?
r those the only things?
It could be anywhere and anything such as the gasket, hoses connections, .........., any air drawn in after the throttle valve will cause an increase in idle RPM.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can i use gasket maker for the intake tube to the throttle body?
can i use gasket maker for the upper intake manifold to the lower intake manifold?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,854 Posts
can i use gasket maker for the intake tube to the throttle body?
can i use gasket maker for the upper intake manifold to the lower intake manifold?
You can, IF you confirm that it is "O2 sensor safe" - it should state this on the packaging.

Some silicone based sealants can poison the O2 sensor and thereafter it's trash.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the stuff i have is sensor safe so ill go ahead and do that, ill update when i can.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i did the gaskets and no change. could my IAC be bad?
when i unplug the maf the car is trying hard to stay on and it does but barely.
when i unplug the IAC the car revs up till i plug it back in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
help plz...

·
Registered
10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Sport, 05 Volvo XC90 2.5T, 01 Kia Sportage 4x4 Convertible
30 Posts
Anyone has a pic of where the IAC valve on a 01 Sportage? Sorry new to the Kia scene. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Sport, 05 Volvo XC90 2.5T, 01 Kia Sportage 4x4 Convertible
30 Posts
Disregard the pic request. I found it, it was looking at me all this time lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts