Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i bought my 04 Sorrento I have noticed a whistle at about 100km, all I have ever added to the SUV is the plastic nose guard that Kia sells for the car, has anyone else had thos problem? Its DRIVING ME CRAZY! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a small one that I hear too...do you have the roof rack or the spoiler?

I seem to hear it up top...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i'm not to sure where I hear it from, sometimes I think its up top, then maybe the front. I have the roof rack and spoiler. Heard once if the arms on the rack are to far apart you might get a whistle. I'm thinking of maybe taking it off just to see if thats where its coming from, then go from there if its not .......... unless someone else has an idea of where its coming from

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
I have the factory roof bars on my car. They are not standard items in the UK but my superb dealer obtained them for me. They have an aerofoil section with a thick edge and a thin edge. Both thick edges must be facing forward to avoid any wind whistle. Also your spoiler will almost certainly create some noise as it is an addition outside of the design parameter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check my rack when I get home, so what your saying is thin section in the front with larger section in the back, so basically the thicker section is facing forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't the lip on the back of the Sorento (spoiler) stock? I always assumed all the EX's had them thus it would have been included in the design so it should'nt create wind noise

·
Registered
30 Posts
My spoiler is stock...it came with the Sport Package...

I think my noise comes from the rack...it seems to be mostly centered in the middle of the roof...

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
It's the roof rack. Take it off and you'll hear the difference. I took mine off and noticed a great difference. It's very easy to remove only 6 screws on each side and takes only 20 minutes to do.

I moved mine to the back, front, and split them and still noticed the noise.

I took them off on the weekend and noticed a great difference in the whistling.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Sorry, I meant the added piece on the front, not the rear spoiler. My rack whistled in every position until we worked out the aerodynamics. Now no whistle at any speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well looked at the roof rack yesterday, both sides (front & backside of the arms) are the same, one is not larger than the other, think i will either move them around a bit or take it off and see what happens then. From wohat i'm hearing hear its the roff racks that cause the problem, not the added on nose guard

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with Dman. I had roof bars fitted by my dealer and there was a noticeable whistle. Remove them and the whistle is gone completely, turn up the radio and the same effect!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts