Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L; 1992 Ford Ranger 2.3L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is getting colder (probably 35-40F in the garage in the morning), I have begun to notice that when I start my Sorento in the morning, it idles at pretty high rpms, say between 1700 and 2000. If I tap on the accelerator once or twice, then the idling rpms go down to a more reasonable value.

I think it's quite normal for the engine to idle at higher rpms when the engine is cold, but I am concerned that this may just be a little *too* high, and may eventually damage the engine.

Did anybody notice anything similar? At how many rpms does your Sorento idle when you turn it on in the morning?

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine is parked outside and it is about 1200-1500 rpm's for a minute or so. I also notice the "ECO" does not come on until the car is a little warmed up. It must be the trans fluid is a "little" stiff in the cold weather. I'll have to wait a few minutes when it gets colder, but I have the seat warmers !!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is parked outside and it is about 1200-1500 rpm's for a minute or so. I also notice the "ECO" does not come on until the car is a little warmed up. It must be the trans fluid is a "little" stiff in the cold weather. I'll have to wait a few minutes when it gets colder, but I have the seat warmers !!!!
Thanks for the info.
I wish mine was at 1200-1500 rpm! Do you get that as soon as you turn it on? How low do the rpm go once the car is warmed up? What's the outside temperature in the morning?

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
nothing to worry. at this temp it always jumps to 2k and then gradually goes down to 1200 or so. If it kept at 2k for more than 20 seconds (without your help) than I would worry

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,108 Posts
Now that the weather is getting colder (probably 35-40F in the garage in the morning), I have begun to notice that when I start my Sorento in the morning, it idles at pretty high rpms, say between 1700 and 2000. If I tap on the accelerator once or twice, then the idling rpms go down to a more reasonable value.

I think it's quite normal for the engine to idle at higher rpms when the engine is cold, but I am concerned that this may just be a little *too* high, and may eventually damage the engine.

Did anybody notice anything similar? At how many rpms does your Sorento idle when you turn it on in the morning?

Thanks!
Just curious, did your Sorento have the PCM upgrade for RPM fluctuations done already? Just wondering if this corrected it or causes it after the upgrade.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX I4 FWD
33 Posts
I haven't had the upgrade done yet.Usually mine will go to about 1700 when I start it up,but sometimes revs up slowly to 2500,then quickly drop to 1500-1700 again.It even did this once when the inside temp. gauge read 86.I would say mine does this <10% of the time since it started.I don't like it revving that high.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX-V6 Titanium - 2008 KLR 650 Red
74 Posts

Thanks!

That's just the fuel injection doing it's thing.

You should resist the urge to blip the throttle and just let the rpm come down on it's own...it will come down after a few seconds or when you put it in gear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did have the PCM upgrade for RPM fluctuations done yet. Next oil change due in a couple of weeks, so I'll have them also do that upgrade together with the hill assist update.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an update.
I had SA055 (HECU upgrade hill assist) done with the oil change. The dealer said the high revving in the morning was normal and due to the cold. He said the PCM upgrade was not needed.
Well, since then the high revving has stopped completely! Incidentally, the car feels slightly more responsive on acceleration too. Maybe SA055 also fixed some other bug and did the trick for me. Or maybe they switched to a different oil because of the cold.
At this point all that matters is that it's been fixed. :)

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX I4 FWD
33 Posts
Here's an update.
I had SA055 (HECU upgrade hill assist) done with the oil change. The dealer said the high revving in the morning was normal and due to the cold. He said the PCM upgrade was not needed.
Well, since then the high revving has stopped completely! Incidentally, the car feels slightly more responsive on acceleration too. Maybe SA055 also fixed some other bug and did the trick for me. Or maybe they switched to a different oil because of the cold.
At this point all that matters is that it's been fixed. :)

Thanks everybody!
Same situation here.I noticed it felt like it had a little more power as soon as I left the dealership.It doesn't idle nearly as high anymore,and seems to get to under 1000 rpm much sooner.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX FWD Dark Cherry Red
273 Posts
As others have said, this is normal when the engine is cold.......

Just a question for those of you that are having this high RPM problem:

Are you starting and letting the car "warm up" or just starting it and driving off?

The reason I ask is because I see lots of people start their engine on a cold day and either rev the hell out of it for a few min or just sit there and let it run for a good while until they decide it is warm enough to drive.
Doing either of those things is not a good way to warm up a cold engine. Revving the engine to a very high RPM when it is cold can actually damage it. If it is really cold then let it run for a minute max and then drive off. It will warm up much faster than sitting at idle and is better for the engine.

I doubt any of you are doing this but I just wanted to put it out there.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX I4 FWD
33 Posts

Just a question for those of you that are having this high RPM problem:

Are you starting and letting the car "warm up" or just starting it and driving off?

The reason I ask is because I see lots of people start their engine on a cold day and either rev the hell out of it for a few min or just sit there and let it run for a good while until they decide it is warm enough to drive.
Doing either of those things is not a good way to warm up a cold engine. Revving the engine to a very high RPM when it is cold can actually damage it. If it is really cold then let it run for a minute max and then drive off. It will warm up much faster than sitting at idle and is better for the engine.

I doubt any of you are doing this but I just wanted to put it out there.
I can't see how 2500 rpm on a cold engine would be normal. No other vech I've owned idled that high. It would go to 1700 (+/-)rpm,stay there for about half a second,and then continue to 2500 for about 2 seconds.It would not do this every time. I start my vech with my foot on the brake,not the gas,and let it idle for 30 seconds.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX FWD Dark Cherry Red
273 Posts
I can't see how 2500 rpm on a cold engine would be normal. No other vech I've owned idled that high. It would go to 1700 (+/-)rpm,stay there for about half a second,and then continue to 2500 for about 2 seconds.It would not do this every time. I start my vech with my foot on the brake,not the gas,and let it idle for 30 seconds.
That isnt normal. My response was to the original poster on this thread as they were the one that asked the question. In their case what they had stated as far as rpm is normal. Yours was high and it looks like you got it fixed...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interestingly, in the days before SA055 (or whatever else) fixed the issue, the rpms on cold engine were starting to get closer to 2,500. And I should have added my Sorento is in the garage overnight, where the temp is rarely below freezing. Now I am happy with my 1,500-1,700 rpm. :)

I normally turn it on and then buckle the seat belt, make sure I have everything with me, etc. That way I give it some 20-30 sec to warm up.

Revving the engine to a very high RPM when it is cold can actually damage it.
Oh yeah. I'd never hurt my "baby". ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 kia sorento and in the summer (warm to hot weather) after driving it for a while, the idle is quite fast, about 2000 when you stop at a light and put it in neutral. It does this some of the time but not always. Could anyone give me ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts