Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011, Picanto, 1.25 5MT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Just checking in on this forum to see if you folk may know what's up.
I drive a 2011, manual 5-gear, petrol-fueled Kia Picanto and have for three years. In 2019 I made some trips through Germany where you can cut loose on the highway and I topped the speedometer at 160km/h with under 5000rpm.
I recently got a new job for which I have to drive further away and I'm really starting to notice performance issues. I have to drive maybe 400km per week now at a speedlimit of 100km/h, and the car has to rev up to 3500rpm in fifth gear for that now. That logically means the fuel consumption is up as well, have to fill her up once a week now, which is twice what I had to spend on fuel when I got the car 3 years ago.
It's not leaking, it doesn't run hot, there's no indicator lights up on the dash and I have no idea what's causing this. Brought it up at the last check-up, but on the outset, nothing's wrong with it. Clutch feels fine, it's not noisier than it used to be at high revs, and it still accelerates fine as well.
Does anyone here have any idea what's causing these high rpm's? Because gas is getting expensive.

thanks.

·
Registered
Piccanto 1, Ford Mondeo Estate
2 Posts
No one ha replied so far. Firstly, I own a 2010 Piccanto 1L petrol. I have had it from new and now has 49,000 miles under its wheels. No rev counter as mine is poverty spec ( very cheap though) . I have never taken it above 80mph ever and it was not happy. Not a fast car and never was. It does overall 46.32 miles per gallon and that is average since new . I keep meticulous records as an accountant. Is your car worn out? Has it covered thousands of miles? You seem to be doing high revs to get up to your speed of 100kph ( our 60 mph) which is my normal speed on dual carriageways etc. I tend to stick to speed limits ,or less if necessary. Check the compressions of the cylinders to see how the cylinder condition and maybe the valves are worn letting fuel by pass?
Are your brakes binding? Is it serviced properly? Just a thought.
I have bought a code reader to check out the ECU through teh plug in socket. That way I found a misfire on plug 2 - changed the leads and it is fine.
Hope you solve your issue. ( Do not advise 160 KPH is an old Picanto BTW!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
No one ha replied so far. Firstly, I own a 2010 Piccanto 1L petrol. I have had it from new and now has 49,000 miles under its wheels. No rev counter as mine is poverty spec ( very cheap though) . I have never taken it above 80mph ever and it was not happy. Not a fast car and never was. It does overall 46.32 miles per gallon and that is average since new . I keep meticulous records as an accountant. Is your car worn out? Has it covered thousands of miles? You seem to be doing high revs to get up to your speed of 100kph ( our 60 mph) which is my normal speed on dual carriageways etc. I tend to stick to speed limits ,or less if necessary. Check the compressions of the cylinders to see how the cylinder condition and maybe the valves are worn letting fuel by pass?
Are your brakes binding? Is it serviced properly? Just a thought.
I have bought a code reader to check out the ECU through teh plug in socket. That way I found a misfire on plug 2 - changed the leads and it is fine.
Hope you solve your issue. ( Do not advise 160 KPH is an old Picanto BTW!)
I would say the clutch is slipping-can you feel the revs rising abnormally when you try and accelerate hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts