Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new 2012 Sportage SX and there is a constant high pitch whine coming from the head unit (I think). It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from but it is very annoying. It isn't the engine or anything; it makes the noise stopped or moving. It sounds exactly like some laptops/computers that have a CPU whine (common problem with the iCores). It's very quiet and some folks (my wife) can't even hear it, but once you do you can't ever unhear it. :) It drives me crazy and even causes me a headache after a while. I have to crank up the stereo or open the windows to drown it out. Anyone experience anything like this with their Sprortages?

· Premium Member
12' Sportage SX AWD, 11' Ridgeline, 08' Smart, 05' 760li, 05' Insight, 94' Hummer H1.
19 Posts
Check to see if the aux plug might have a slight short. My plug is toast. Makes noise when cord is in. Try replacing and installing stereo cord a few times. Mine goes back to shop Monday. Do you still need the replacement/non-running board trim.?

· Registered
554 Posts
In electronics, it's called "coil whine", the high-frequency vibration of components at their resonant frequencies. You'll hear it off computers, televisions, and "ultrasonic" things.

If you find the component, cover it in non-conductive insulation (resin? silicone? mass). If you can't, even thin foam can absorb high-frequency noise. If that's not good enough, try using the fuses to isolate what is doing it, and replace it (eg. aftermarket head unit).

Otherwise the only fix is to age or listen to music too loud, where high-frequency hearing drops off. Or earplugs.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was able to pinpoint where the high pitch noise is coming from and it's the screen/display unit. When I turn that off (through setup/display...) the noise goes away completely. Turn it back on and it comes right back. Not sure if this is "normal" or if it indicates a problem with the display unit I have or ? I was going to go to the dealer and check out other Sportages they have on the lot with the same display and see if they make the same noise. If so, I'll just learn to ignore it or turn off the display while driving. If they don't make the noise, then I'll know I have one with a problem and see if the service guys can do something about it, like maybe replace it?

· Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Well I was able to pinpoint where the high pitch noise is coming from and it's the screen/display unit. When I turn that off (through setup/display...) the noise goes away completely. Turn it back on and it comes right back. Not sure if this is "normal" or if it indicates a problem with the display unit I have or ? I was going to go to the dealer and check out other Sportages they have on the lot with the same display and see if they make the same noise. If so, I'll just learn to ignore it or turn off the display while driving. If they don't make the noise, then I'll know I have one with a problem and see if the service guys can do something about it, like maybe replace it?
My std UVO head unit screen does not make any high pitched noises. I would say that you probably need a new head unit/ nav unit. I know that some of the older LCD monitors i have around can make that sound when the cathode ray tube isn't warmed up or when they get old and start to go. They are kinda like a fluorescent light and we all know how they can sound.

I say take it to dealer and make them replace it. If that doesn't work, go over their head and call Kia's Warranty Hotline. Make them listen to the high pitched (and high volume) whining of your complaints for long enough and they will fix it. ^_^

Remember, you PAID for the warranty. They guaranteed their product to be (relatively) free from defects. This is not trivial. Consider if you have or develop migraines because of this. Is the standard solution for "the window won't roll down", "don't roll it down then" ? I don't think so.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My std UVO head unit screen does not make any high pitched noises. I would say that you probably need a new head unit/ nav unit. I know that some of the older LCD monitors i have around can make that sound when the cathode ray tube isn't warmed up or when they get old and start to go. They are kinda like a fluorescent light and we all know how they can sound.

I say take it to dealer and make them replace it. If that doesn't work, go over their head and call Kia's Warranty Hotline. Make them listen to the high pitched (and high volume) whining of your complaints for long enough and they will fix it. ^_^

Remember, you PAID for the warranty. They guaranteed their product to be (relatively) free from defects. This is not trivial. Consider if you have or develop migraines because of this. Is the standard solution for "the window won't roll down", "don't roll it down then" ? I don't think so.
Great advice - thank you very much! I'll definitely be taking it in to get them to fix it. This might also have something to do with the Sirius satellite problem (another thread of mine) we're having if the head unit is bad. Thanks again for the advice.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Sportage with navigation. I too, experience this high pitched noise (coil whine?) and it drives me crazy! Thanks to this thread, I was able to eliminate the sound by turning off the display. However, I found that adjusting the brightness of the display also seems to eliminate the sound.

· Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
161 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the fact that the display produces lots of internal heat and the head unit has its own cooling fan which constantly runs when the display is on. Just like the fans on desktops towers, sometimes the barrings in fan fault and cause a whining noise. You may need to pull the head unit and clean or change the fan.

· Registered
554 Posts
Oh, tiny fans. They spin at such high-frequency RPM that they can be loud, or a failing bearing will screech. See if a larger fan could be hacked in; running a larger fan at lower RPM will reliably move more air quietly.

High-pitch sounds that some people can hear but others can't, it's usually coil whine. Computer monitors are infamous for it. It's anything from a solid hiss to a white-noise sizzle sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.