Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Kia Rondo with 55K miles that has been making a high pitch chirping sound for a long time now and seems to be getting louder. It is only present when I start the car after it has sat overnight. It is present both idling and while in motion. The frequency of the chirping increases as I accelerate and eventually, the chirping goes away -- after I've left the neighborhood or at least that is when I no longer notice it.

I've tried to read forum posts that seem related to chirping sounds where belts or blower fans are implicated. When I reported the sound to the dealer at around 30K miles, the representative said it was just the sound the fuel injectors make implying it was no big deal and told me I could not clean them or replace them to remove the sound. Now the sound has gotten worse and occurs every time I start the car after it has been off for a number of hours.

I plan to take it back to the dealer in a week. I'd appreciate any insights you might be able to share with me to help me resolve the problem. Thank you!

·
Registered
Sodona, Rondo, Optima (2), Cessna, Gulfstream
6 Posts
Could be a glazed serpentine belt. Are you also starting it with the A/C compressor on too ?

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
I've heard that paste-based (not gel-based) toothpaste can be smeared inside the belt to roughen it when it's glazed, to restore some texture/roughness for grip between the belt and the pulleys. Might want to try that as a free test, and can easily rinse it off after letting the paste do some roughening to the surfaces it contacts.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
it might be slipping serpentine (accessory) belt or a bearing (alternator). When it gets warmer it gets quieter.
AS for the belt - since alternator is under heavy load (cold start) it pulls great load on loose/worn belt. See tensioner and belt.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
I've heard that paste-based (not gel-based) toothpaste can be smeared inside the belt to roughen it when it's glazed, to restore some texture/roughness for grip between the belt and the pulleys. Might want to try that as a free test, and can easily rinse it off after letting the paste do some roughening to the surfaces it contacts.
Belt dressing works too:D

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
I have a 2007 Kia Rondo with 55K miles that has been making a high pitch chirping sound for a long time now and seems to be getting louder. It is only present when I start the car after it has sat overnight. It is present both idling and while in motion. The frequency of the chirping increases as I accelerate and eventually, the chirping goes away -- after I've left the neighborhood or at least that is when I no longer notice it.

I've tried to read forum posts that seem related to chirping sounds where belts or blower fans are implicated. When I reported the sound to the dealer at around 30K miles, the representative said it was just the sound the fuel injectors make implying it was no big deal and told me I could not clean them or replace them to remove the sound. Now the sound has gotten worse and occurs every time I start the car after it has been off for a number of hours.

I plan to take it back to the dealer in a week. I'd appreciate any insights you might be able to share with me to help me resolve the problem. Thank you!
I can't see it being the fuel injectors as none of my cars ever made chirping noises from that. Sounds like bs to me.

Belts or bearings on the belt driven components could be the source. Did Kia actually hear the noise?

Our car was making a strange chirping noise and we couldn't figure the darn thing out. It wasn't very loud like belt squeal though. Kia didn't do much because they couldn't replicate the condition when I would take it in. I thought it was the transmission but Kia said no. It seemed intermittent and I couldn't pinpoint it. Turns out the air conditioner compressor failed a while later. After it was replaced under warranty the noise disappeared. I would think it only made the noise when the compressor clutch was engaged and that's why it was intermittent. Keep in mind that even without turning the air conditioning on it does come on once in a while by itself, I think also if set to auto temperature.

Hope this helps a bit. Please let us know what you find out.

Curt

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
Any update?

drnager

Hi.
My carens at 64000 miles developed a "chirping" "warbling" noise last night, from a cold and leaf covered start, which increased and decreased on "acceleration" (Its a diesel so acceleration is a loose term) its the very first time it has made the noise. The engine light was flashing as soon as it started but then stayed on continuously , I limped home on reduced power with the noise gradually receding , but the engine light is still on.
The noise was almost like an electronic object being thrown into water and shorting out.( just to clarify the noise, but it does sound like the same as described above).

Have you any update on your problem? I can't get to the garage until I finish my work week.

Thinking about it, it appeared to come from the instrument (speedo tacho)panel and sounded like a leaf caught in a blower motor or similar, like a muted card in the back wheel of a bicycle...but why the engine light?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
I ve had a look at it and now I can see that it makes the shrill zuzzzzzzzzzzing noise at the top of 2000-3000 revs. The engine light came on originally, flashing for a very short time (30-40 seconds) then has just stayed on. the engine has lost all power.
I m going to buy a fault reader today to see what is says. The noise seems to be coming from the alternator area and it sounds bad if you listen via a screwdriver placed against it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts