Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching alternators and am considering swapping to a sephia high output alternator that is rated for 110 Amps. Other than the physical electrical connections, does anyone know of concerns or issues to be aware of for this type of change?

All the research on here talks of high output alternators, but the market is not supporting them for sportages. I read that UpYourKia had one built for him that did 140 Amps. He also put on a smaller pulley for maximum charging.

Can anyone think of any limitations for making this type of swap?

Planning on making a trip to the parts store to see if I can get measurements on a 2000 Sephia alternator.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Didn't get to hold the two side by side, but it looks like the Sephia Alternator is a viable option for the Sportage. Pulley has same number of rows and is similar diameter. Electrical connections are slightly different, but it appears as if the Sportage connector will fit. Slight alterations to the battery connection on top will be required.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,185 Posts
I don't think so ReadO - but IIRC upyourkia was also running a (dual) battery / charger controller setup with his Sporty - dunno (what) primary wiring he may have upgraded, w/ the high output alternator.

Only possible items I can think of is if you are planning to utilize more amperage vs. the stock 70ish amp alternator for aftermarket items - you may want to consider distributing that load across (2) batteries and/or upgrading the primary charge cable from the alternator -> to the battery ..

... The (main) fuse in the 1G Sportage is (80) Amp IIRC - I would check to see what the rating of the main fuse in the Sephia w/ HO alternator is, as a precaution. ... Only because the wiring in the 1G Sportages was not "over-engineered" by any means, to begin with.

* If here, I would be using an 'abundance of caution', and making sure -every- major Ground point was Q/A'd for corrosion, visually & DVOM resistance / load checked, and thoroughly cleaned before "upping the Amps" .. Just wouldn't want any surprises or issues, is all.

Hopefully if Everet sees this thread, he'll provide some feedback on his setup.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I agree that an 'abundance of caution' is needed with anything on the electrical system for the Sportage. After looking through the Sephia Forum, I'm surprised that model was able to survive with all of it's electrical challenges in the fuse box design. :(

I was able to identify a 120 amp fuse in a wiring diagram for the alternator. Appears to be two distinct variations of alternator wiring. The one is the normal 3 wire design, battery+, "L," and "S." The other has four wires to connect in addition to the Battery+.

Currently, I have installed an electric fan in replacement of the mechanical. The 70 Amp keeps up, but struggles with inital startup of the fan. Installing a large charging and ground wire setup (the Big3/4) is on the upcoming plan. And I'm sure this will assist significantly to my charging woes.

As you stated previously, I have been checking all the Grounds. Cleaning and replacing as required. My Teenager will be taking over the vehicle this summer. And of course he has visions of audio grandeur! So, I'm trying to think ahead and make sure he doesn't fry himself or anything if I can prevent it. (Fingers crossed!)

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Were you able to do a side by side comparison?

Redoing the wiring is easy, getting it to bolt up right is the trick!

The Sportage top mount for the adjustable belt tensioner is at 12 o'clock

The Sephia one is at 10 o'clock.

May work or may need to run a little longer belt.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, haven't had a chance to place the two side by side yet. The one I looked at had the top mount in the 12 O'Clock position. So I am not sure if it's a manufacturer thing or not. Looks like the after market factory may have used the same front.

What type of modifications did you add to run dual batteries?

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So today I conducted an experiment with the current alternator. I had seen a video where a guy on YouTube used jumper cables to determine if the wiring on his alternator was in need of some upgrade. So I thought to myself, I have a set of cheap cables; that will allow me to do the same thing. Prior to getting started, I removed the alternator and thoroughly cleaned the case where it touches engine brackets. Additionally, I cleaned the Battery fitting on the alternator and the wire itself. I also cleaned off one of the small extra bolt hole areas on the back and screwed in an extra bolt (small 4mm hole, but I wanted to see if the extra ground would help). Placed everything back on the motor and tightened up the belt.

Before hooking up the jumper cables, I was getting a reading of 13.75 with the electric fan on and the engine at idle. 1) Added the negative to the alternator and straight to battery, no increase. 2) Added the the positive to the alternator lead and straight to the battery. Instant increase of 0.12 volts! 3) added both Positive and Negative Cables. No increase from number 2.

All and all, I was quite surprised that the increase was that noticeable. I knew the wiring on this thing is challenged, but was not expecting a 4 gauge set of jumper cables to show that much of an increase. Guess I'll definitely have to up grade to the Big 3/4 now.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Finally I have been able to obtain and install a Kia Sephia 110 Amp Alternator as an upgrade to the 70 Amp Sportage Alternator. Below is the side by side comparison at the parts store.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The measurements of the two are the same in regards to mounting locations. The pulley of the 110amp Sephia is slightly smaller than the 70amp Sportage. The LS Plug ins exactly the same for both. Yeah! No wiring modifications necessary! But, the location of the plug and the Sephia battery + bolt is closer to 12 o'clock than the Sportage battery+.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for mounting the 110 amp, almost a perfect fit. The Dipstick gets in the way. To ensure no clearance issues, I found it easiest to unbolt the retainer from the block, and rotate the dipstick tube under and behind the air intake tube. The new location is closer to the brake master cylinder. One key concern is the LS Plug location is significantly closer to the Exhaust Manifold. This might be an issue. Not sure if it sits close enough to be affected by the heat of the manifold.

Apparently, I have too many photos. I have exceeded the authorized file limit. So I'll try to post them later. PM me if you want more details.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK, photo situation resolved. Just needed to post and back out. New 110amp Alternator mounted and Dipstick relocated. Planning on using a piece of flat stock to bolt and extension for the retaining bracket of the Dipstick.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After the install, I ran a few tests. Battery initial reading was 12.64. Start up read 14.16. After Electric fan kicked on, dropped to 13.98. With the addition of headlights, dropped to 13.64. Adding AC on Full, dropped again to 13.33.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The biggest surprise was testing the voltage with a 10 gauge Jumper from a set of 12ft Jumper Cables. Such a significant addition with a 10 gauge wire that runs 12ft! Key sign for me is the importance of upgrading the wires to the Big 3/4. Seems that even if upgrading to a larger amp, its necessary to increase the wire size if you want to really get the voltage up! Will post a test later with differences in voltage change from upgraded wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks GottaCruise. Been too long since I had that class on voltage drop. Great resource.

Just hate the fact that the Alternator B+ post is so friggin' tiny. For that reason, I plan on going with 2/0 gauge. Trying to keep the run as short as possible. More concerned about draping wire over the top of the engine instead of running it behind along the firewall. I am more comfortable with the longer run toward the back than the shorter run over the top. :D:D

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
You can run the wire over the cam gear cover and put cable loops on the top bolts of the cam cover, having the cable follow the top of the cover. It is up and out of the way, doesn't get hot, and stays in place!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts