Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a remanufactured 2.7L engine in a 2005 Kia Sportage EX. There is valve noise and i have 80 lbs of oil pressure when it's idling.

Factory did the oil pump and I installed the spring and relief correctly. Can anybody help me before I have a mental breakdown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
2005 Sportage 2.7L High Oil Pressure

I just installed a remanufactured 2.7L short block from the dealer in a 2005 Kia Sportage EX. There is valve noise and 80 lbs. of oil pressure when idling. I made sure the relief valve and spring were in correct. Can anybody tell me what to do in this dire emergency. :mad:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I would contact the engine manufacturer and dealer that installed the oil pump and get their feedback - 80lbs at idle does seem a bit high, but as it is a re-man'd engine I dunno..

Did you coat the plunger w/ motor oil when installing?

What weight oil are you using? Any engine additives? Going a grade lighter on the oil may help reduce the pressure during the break-in period.

If it was my ride, I'd go w/ a grade lighter oil, and remove & inspect the oil filter to make sure there was no plastic, etc. causing restriction on the filter or filter base, & install a new replacement oil filter..

Hopefully others here on the forum that have checked their 2.7L oil pressure at idle can jump in and help,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very unusual to have that much oil pressure. How did you measure the oil pressure? Maybe your gauge was giving wrong readings? I suggest verify with another, mechanical gauge.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
I have never been one to complain at 80lb of oil pressure, even at idle. What did it go up to at say 3000 rpm? It sounds like a g obviously an 80 lb relief spring. As long as it does not climb excessively, say over 100 psi, that part should be fine. However, the valve noise is of particular concern, however. It could be that the oil supply passage to the valve train is plugged, hence causing the higher oil pressure. I would definitely be contacting the supplier of the engine, and follow their advice to the letter, in case of warranty issues. I would not run it anymore until I talked with them, either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never been one to complain at 80lb of oil pressure, even at idle. What did it go up to at say 3000 rpm? It sounds like a g obviously an 80 lb relief spring. As long as it does not climb excessively, say over 100 psi, that part should be fine. However, the valve noise is of particular concern, however. It could be that the oil supply passage to the valve train is plugged, hence causing the higher oil pressure. I would definitely be contacting the supplier of the engine, and follow their advice to the letter, in case of warranty issues. I would not run it anymore until I talked with them, either.
thanks guys manufacture said it was alright now i just got ticking lifters if you ever do a kia engine replace them all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys manufacture said it was alright now i just got ticking lifters if you ever do a kia engine replace them all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts