Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. This is my first post. Wish me luck.
I have a 2005 Sportage Ex (6cyl). Yesterday,when starting the car,the idle went to 6000 rpm. A few taps on the gas peddle brings it back to normal. What is puzzling,if I start the car without pushing the gas peddle it starts normally.If I turn it off,touch the gas peddle just slightly the idle will rocket to the high rpm. This can be repeated over and over. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or at normal temp. and it drives fine otherwise. I have cleaned the throttle body and it looks good with nothing sticking. I'm wondering if it might be the throttle pos,sensor. Any thoughts anyone and thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
07 Kia Sportage 2WD, V6, EX
88 Posts
I'm thinking out loud....but I dont think I touch the gas pedal at all to start my 2006 V6 Automatic FWD Sportage.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,116 Posts
Should never push the gas pedal to start car, it floods it to an extent. Coule be your high idle.

Is the CEL on?

·
Registered
2011 LX Sportage AWD Mineral/Silver; 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650
63 Posts
Idle

Good post and welcome aboard. The only problem I have found is most owners wear blinders when talking about there Kia. Don't get me wrong I love mine, the look, the feel, and the price but do realize it has some cons. Fuel economy is one of them. Another is the idle position and burning of gas in idle. I will trip my auto start in the morning and let you know what I find out. I do know the damn car does have a high idle to extent you can smell wasted fuel and was wondering what might be the matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts