Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... 2001 Sportage (2wd). Car died on me the other night. Had a misfire in cylinder 4 checked at autozone right before it died. Anyways, valve cover seal broke, flooded the plug wells and fouled up a coil pack. Changed the valve cover seal, new plugs, wires and one new coil pack (the back one). Anyways, car fired up just fine but it idling really high. Before it idled at about 900 rpm, which I still think is high but now its idling at like 1350. I have already tried adjusting the screw on the accelerator cable with no luck. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hey guys... 2001 Sportage (2wd). Car died on me the other night. Had a misfire in cylinder 4 checked at autozone right before it died. Anyways, valve cover seal broke, flooded the plug wells and fouled up a coil pack. Changed the valve cover seal, new plugs, wires and one new coil pack (the back one). Anyways, car fired up just fine but it idling really high. Before it idled at about 900 rpm, which I still think is high but now its idling at like 1350. I have already tried adjusting the screw on the accelerator cable with no luck. Any thoughts?
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are getting illegal air in the Intake system, causing the high idle..

Would recommend rechecking all hoses and clamps on the Intake -> MAF -> Metal Intake Plenum, the hoses / connections / resonator on the Metal plenum, and if you removed the plenum, check the metal plenum <-> throttle body gasket: it is possible to misalign the gasket (on the right) have still have the TB bolt up w/ the gasket not aligned properly,

(If no joy, next would be checking PCV valve / hose, and IAC valve assembly, wiring connection, & gasket..)

Notes:
--
If you tried adjusting idle using the throttle cable adjuster via the 10mm adjusting nuts / stop plate at the valve cover, that's ok,

-If- you tried adjusting the throttle body stop screw located (inside) the throttle body assembly, you should try to reset it back to where it was: that screw is for factory-setting the throttle body plates / air gap only..

--
If you have any questions, etc., post back, we'll try to help.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GottaCruise,

Thanks for the help. I believe you are right about the illegal air intake. The first thing I noticed when I reassembled everything is I could hear a sound like the engine was sucking air from somewhere it should not. Also I had check engine codes of "high idle RPM" and "running too lean." Classic symptoms of the engine sucking air where it should not. Thanks for your help. Will recheck all clamps and seals tonight.

ColoradoSki

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Glad the info helped, good luck tracking the air leak down.. Lots of folks here that have done top-end maintenance, if you have any questions just post back, lots of folks here that can help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.