Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I am new here, I own a 2003 Sportage about 7 months now. I noticed that my Sportage is consuming lot of petrol. I have asked a few Sportage owners whenever I bump into and they told me they are getting about 8 - 9 km/per liter of petrol. I am getting about 5.7 - 6 km/per L.

I have sent my Sportage to Kia service center twice in different branches and they say according the computer seems fine. I recently had done a full service with new plugs, full synthetic oil, replaced the oil filter and replaced the gearbox oil and the filter.

I am sorry I didn't know where to post my thread b'cos there's no heading for 2003 so I decided to post it here 2002 category.

Looking forward to hear from some gurus here.
Thank you in advance.

stratboy99

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
Fuel consumption is so subjective..

Example: I consistently get 25% better than my wife..

I tend to start off slowly, shift lower RPM, use engine brake and anticipate stops...

She on the other hand drives like Sterling Moss (yes, dated), rushes up to stops and drops the anchors...:eek:

.... Philip

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The servicing that has been carried out is worthwhile, but will have had little effect on fuel consumption. Hopefully the KIA dealers would have detected any "Codes" indicating other problems.

One thing worth investigating is restriction in the catalytic converter; this can have a general "choking" effect on the engine. Did you change the air filter? Also check wheels/brakes for free-running. Check intake system for "illegal air" (vacuum leaks, e.g. 4WD actuating system).

What size engine do you have? What sort of driving conditions for 6 km/litre?

8-9 km/litre seems about right for mixed driving in town, while you could expect up to 11-12 km/litre with careful highway driving (assuming 2.0 petrol). I don't take much notice of consumption figures unless they're done under my "standard highway" conditions.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Aqua is correct that all things being equal, driver habbits are the biggest factor in fuel consumption. Ive had customers come in with the same complaint you have... sometimes the tires are severely underinflated, sometimes the parking brake is engaged one click, one time on a Murano the air filter was the original one and the truck had over 70k miles (wanted to hang that filter on the wall). We could all chime in and make dozens of suggestions, but in the end you may throw lots of time and money at your truck and make little to no difference in fuel economy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the response, yes , this was based on city driving with air condition on all the time. Well, that goes same to those people I've asked.

Btw, I didn't mentioned that I had the catalytic converter removed as well. We are getting unleaded petrol these days and I thought it should be removed and replace it with a normal silencer(lighter in weight). I noticed that this model Sportage is quite heavy and solid maybe that causes more fuel consumption but I really don't know.

I did look at the air filter and that looks very new, I should reconfirm that again today.
what else ?

My driving style is straight forward, I am not heavy on the pedal as some do.

Someone suggested that I should do a top over haul. I didn't want to spend so much. I have replace a new radiator recently. Now if I can't solve this problem, I might just sell it off if I can get a buyer and buy back another one.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Thank you all for the response, yes , this was based on city driving with air condition on all the time. Well, that goes same to those people I've asked.

Btw, I didn't mentioned that I had the catalytic converter removed as well. We are getting unleaded petrol these days and I thought it should be removed and replace it with a normal silencer(lighter in weight). I noticed that this model Sportage is quite heavy and solid maybe that causes more fuel consumption but I really don't know.

I did look at the air filter and that looks very new, I should reconfirm that again today.
what else ?

Someone suggested that I should do a top over haul. I didn't want to spend so much. I have replace a new radiator recently. Now if I can't solve this problem, I might just sell it off if I can get a buyer and buy back another one.
Removing the catalytic converter shouldnt cause high fuel consumption. You may get an engine light but nothing related to fuel trim.

I take it you are still looking for tips, I would say if you dont have any known problems but want to increase fuel economy do a complete tuneup, replace the upstream O2 sensor, run some Lucas brand fuel injetor cleaner in the gas tank, clean the maf sensor, flush the engine and change the oil.

Again however, if nothing is wrong, you will have done all this in vein.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts

I had the catalytic converter removed as well. We are getting unleaded petrol these days and I thought it should be removed and replace it with a normal silencer(lighter in weight).

1. You've got the wrong end of the stick about the Cat Converter. Leaded petrol is incompatible with the Cat; unleaded is normal fuel and is OK with Cat. Anyhow, it's gone now.

2. Top overhaul only indicated if the engine is worn. Do a compression test to show up cylinder and/or valve wear.

3. Are your wheels and tyres standard size? Inflated correctly? Odometer reading accurately?

4. Check all the suggestions and if you can find an excuse for a drive in the country, test the fuel consumption on the highway. Calculate it by hand rather than relying on any on-board computer. Some have found that the Sportage is fiddly to get a reliable fuel shut-off point, and this might be part of the problem when determining fuel usage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you DeeRock, Wry 'Cuda,

Oh yes, I forgot to mention this. At times, only sometimes, very rarely it feels like it's running on 3 plugs very strange here. When I switch off the engine and start again its gone. Good thing is, it's easy to start always.

I have done tuneup twice at different Kia workshops :-(

My wheels are standard 15" inflated at 38 psi earlier, just yesterday I brought it down to 34 psi, thought I want to improve the ride - slightly bumpy at 38 psi.

Engine oil is new, about a week old.
I'll check the cost of replacing the 02 sensor, maf sensor etc.
Btw, what is this maf sensor ?

Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I manage to dig up some facts here.

2003 Kia Sportage 2.0 16V RS full specs, performance and photos (up to middle 2003 for Europe )

Regarding fuel consumption :

ECE 90/120/city (comb.):
EU urban/extra-urban/comb.:
13.6 / 8.3 / 10.3 l/100km

20.8 / 34 / 27.4 mpg (imp.)
17.3 / 28.3 / 22.8 mpg (U.S.)
7.4 / 12 / 9.7 km/l

Weight of the Sportage, based on curb weight = 3336 lbs or Gross weight GVWR = 4250 lbs ? Is this heavy ?

I am still trying to look for justification, ha ha ha.
I don't want to regret this buy, honestly it's a dam solid car and nice to drive too for the money I paid, I can't get a car like this. :)

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
Just so we are on the same page, the vehicles that you have used in the comparison, are they the same as yours??

Engine, transmission and model?? .... Philip

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

what else ?

For optimal fuel trim (engine) management, you were better off w/ the Cat. converter on the vehicle..

Take a look at the hood batting over where the air intake tube is located on the top of the radiator (follow the intake tube from the airbox up to the mounting point. If the hood batting over the air intake snout is loose, repair or remove it, so it doesn't interfere w/ airflow going into the intake tube..

re: top end overhaul - do a compression test first, before wasting $$$.

re: radiator, Sportys run hotter vs. other vehicles - make sure you get that issue fixed.

--
removing the stock mechanical fan clutch and replacing w/ electric fan setup, and installing a ram-air intake tube were (2) mods done here that were worthwhile for MPG and horsepower, allowing me to run at lower RPM (5sp) at lower speeds - keeping your transmission at lowest possible RPM at any given speed w/ minimal fuel use (lightest pedal to maintain speed) has a most positive effect on overall fuel use, I have found.

+1 on aquanaut's comment on use of engine braking - leave extra room, and let the engine do the braking for you... When you are off pedal, coasting, the ECM will shutoff fuel delivery to the motor - super MPG savings there. Braking wastes energy - turns the fuel burned to get the vehicle moving into heat. Leave 2x extra room and coast..

Turn off the air conditioning, when possible, and open a window - all that extra load on the motor uses more fuel. You'll be amazed how much (3-5 US mpg here in testing.)

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
You need to add your specs to your avatar.

Depending on the country of origin, the 2003 should be OBDII compliant.

If it is, use a "LIVE DATA SCANNER", check the O2 (B1S1) sensor for active switching with no bias and the ECT for correct engine temperature.
Inform on the fuel trim, closer to "0" the better.... Philip

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Keeping your transmission at lowest possible RPM at any given speed (lightest pedal to maintain speed) has a most positive effect on overall fuel use, I have found.

+1 on aquanaut's comment on use of engine braking - leave extra room, and let the engine do the braking for you... Leave 2x extra room and coast.

Turn off the air conditioning, when possible, and open a window - all that extra load on the motor uses more fuel. You'll be amazed how much (3-5 US mpg here in testing.) GottaCruise
Sorry, but I can't agree with any of the suggestions above which would make driving a real pain, particularly if you were behind the driver costing along at his leisure. I've always accelerated fairly briskly through the gears and don't use engine braking to any great extent. Downhill maybe. I've always been pleased with my fuel usage which is quite close to suggested values, even with AC.

I've just done a short suburban trip and watched the tacho; between 2000 and 3500 RPM until cruising at 1500 RPM, then down to 1000 RPM coming to a traffic light (braking normally). 4-speed auto. This is normal driving by my reckoning, anything less would be crawling.

Sounds like the OP has genuine problems with his Sportage, but doesn't want to become a hypermiler.

Maybe I should change my handle to GottaDrive...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Sorry, but I can't agree with any of the suggestions above which would make driving a real pain, particularly if you were behind the driver costing along at his leisure. I've always accelerated fairly briskly through the gears and don't use engine braking to any great extent. Downhill maybe. I've always been pleased with my fuel usage which is quite close to suggested values, even with AC.

I've just done a short suburban trip and watched the tacho; between 2000 and 3500 RPM until cruising at 1500 RPM, then down to 1000 RPM coming to a traffic light (braking normally). 4-speed auto. This is normal driving by my reckoning, anything less would be crawling.

Sounds like the OP has genuine problems with his Sportage, but doesn't want to become a hypermiler.

Maybe I should change my handle to GottaDrive...
Maybe you should, driving like a speed demon.. :D

I agree 'hypermiling' isn't for everyone, and my driving habits are different in the 5 speed vs. our automatic, without a doubt. Same rules apply though - engine braking / coasting in gear do add MPGs..

Guess I've been driving this way long enough for it to be habit..

Oh, and I can hit on the pedal just as well as anyone else on the road, but then all those MPG savings go really South, they may end up in Australia. :p

re: other issues, I agree & second Philip's recommendation of getting the B1S1 O2 sensor switching checked, and keep an eye on the STFT/LTFT values with the Cat. removed.. Might be running rich w/o the Cat.

Regards,
GottaCruise - slowwwwly.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I think the occasional burst of speed is good for the car. I always find that the city consumption is a little better than normal after a long highway trip. After a couple of tanks, it's back to the usual city figures. The temporary improvement is not great, about 1 mpg.

I have a friend who subscibes to the pottering principle, and it's a real agony to drive with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow it's far too complicated here cause I'm not a car hands on guy. I only rebuild British bikes the last was 10 yrs ago - 1941 Matchless 350cc coverted the block to 500cc :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Latest development, I also noticed that the auto gear change is abit slow, meaning that there's a certain amount of drag before the gear change. I would presume this may add to poor mileage too. I had it adjusted at the Kia Service center and I could feel the difference on the road. The Sportage felt lighter and seem slightly more efficient in power. I hope this will help improve the mileage.
I am looking to hear your opinion. Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts