·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX - V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

just bought a used 2007 Kia Rondo V6.
Inspection report was all good.

Drove it now for 2 weeks and I have a very very light foot.
Even in 1st or 2nd gear I do not go over 2300rpm (usually below)

Noticed that the Rondo uses about 20 liters per 100 kilometers.
This is on 50% city / 50% highway @ max 80 kmh in 5th gear as much as possible.

Any suggestions on what can cause this?
I suspect something being not right, because this is way off.

How many kilometers do you get per tank?
I also noticed that the radiator is always below the L line. I already topped it off with about 3 liters of coolant, but every time I did this is falls below again.
No sign of leaking coolant underneath the car though....very strange.

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks
FE

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
how did you calculate to arrive at this figure as that is ludicrous. If you just got it how would have been able to calculate a full tank full. How many kilometers on it?

I had a '08 2.4L that I owned for 4 years. When I first bought it I tracked the mileage for about a year. The worse I ever got was 11.8 and the best 7.0. After that I would only check the mileage on long trips where generally I got in the 8.0 - 8.5 range.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX - V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
Can I please ask how many kilometers you average per tank?

Just driving 15 Kilometers to my work on the highway I can see the needle sink.
I got 300 Kilometers on the tank, which is pretty much 20 liters per 100 kilometers.
Thanks
FE

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
tank is in total about 60-65L, I doubt you got it emptied... and you do not ask how many km/miles you get from a tank, because that is silly question. If I go and refill at half mark I get 220 km..., if I drive till it stops, I might squeeze out even 500 km... you get the fuel consumption number, not the distance only.

anyway, I am afraid there is something with the numbers you give us here

20L/100 km that is way too much, unless it is slippery, you do not let the car to coast (gas or brake style), the thermostat is stuck open (engine never reaches operating temp which is 82C).

So, questions:
1. how many km does it have?
2. did you check rear brakes for binding? they are prone to it... very prone
3. what is the engine speed at idle when you start it and does it ever fall down to near 600 rpm? if it does - when?
4. during your commute - when does the engine temp reach near half mark (and stay there)?
5. do you use heater a lot?

And finally - how the hell can you add 3 LITERS of coolant??? If you did it means the engine was half empty!!!
Besides, you do not add coolant to the reservoir, but directly to the radiator... so I guess either you are not talking about coolant or you have a much bigger issue with the car.

Where did you get it from, and what report do you refer to?

FYI - my Rondo the worst time had 15.3 L/100 km, while the best was 7.7 L/100 km (based on the whole tank). The best ever reached on hwy was below 7.0 (6.6 l/100 km), but it was hard to achieve... and I could never reproduce it (6.8, 6.9, but not 6.6). Data from ScanGaugeII.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thank you.

I got 300 Kilometers on the tank, which is pretty much 20 liters per 100 kilometers.
Thanks
FE
As PLP comments, guessing at fuel consumption "by the tank" won't give you any information. As I've suggested on other threads, the only way to get a handle on the consumption is to top up the tank, drive for a fair distance on the highway at say 60 mpg with a light foot and refill. Check the odometer readings against known distances and do your calculations based on the actual fuel used. This figure should be close to the advertised fuel consumption.

Say you get a figure of 8 litres/100 km on the highway, expect 12 litres/100km around town; more if it's stop-start or short trips.

Do the checks as suggested, but I suspect a worn engine with possible cracked head etc. Does the car run OK?

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX - V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply. Truly appreciated.

The engine has about 800 rpm in idle.
Temp. comes up pretty fast (10 min. into commute), no AC use, heater on most of the time.
The coolant was topped up over the last 2 weeks, not in 1 go.
It falls down under L after about 2 days, but no leakage found under the car.

Temp. Gage is slightly below middle (normal from what I read)

I let the car coast as much as possible. No steep hills or so and a very light foot.
I was just shocked to get only 300 kilometers on a full tank, yes it was full and I drove it to empty (well as much as I wanted to gamble).

The coolant was put into the tank that has the L & F mark (assuming it is the reservoir tank)
I can't find any other option to put in coolant. The radiator cap can't be opened. Won't open. Am I missing something here?

Any further help is truly appreciated. Love the car and did lots of reading on the board.
I have had 3 different cars and have never seen such a gas consumption.
Gas cap is closed tight btw :)

Again, I truly appreciate all your help.
Keep them coming.
FE

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Thank you.

Thanks
FE
going off the gas gauge to figure out fuel consumption means nothing, you have to figure it out manually. For one thing your figuring it out as if the tank goes dry when you fill up, which is nonsense you could have 6-8 litres or more left in the tank. So when you drove it 300 km how much actual fuel did you put in the tank?
During my years test the most fuel I ever put in the tank was 52.7 litres on a 60 litre tank.
Number of kilometres on a tank doesn't really mean anything with regards fuel economy. However, the longer the run the more variations in driving you will encounter. Eg. if you did just strictly a highway run at a steady 100 kmph, filling up before you started and then filling right after you finished it would give you a high figure, so the same for strictly city driving and it will be considerable lower.
I have got 612 km and filled it putting in 52.6 litres = 8.6km/100km (Nov)
- 608 km and put in 45.5 litres = 7.5km/100km (Sept)
- 293 km and put in 20.4 litres = 7.0km/100 km (July)
- 485 km and put in 52.3 litres = 10.8 (Feb in bad winter weather)

You do fill it on the overflow tank reservoir on the passengers side of the engine. You fill it between the F & L mark, do not overfill. The rad cap in front of the battery is not sealed but should never be opened with the engine hot.
The correct temperature setting on your gauge will be just below the centre mark when it warms up.

read you owners manual (7/18 on the coolant) thoroughly and fill a few tanks or how long you want to travel and manually calculate what you actually use and then get back to us :D

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX - V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!
Will do.
Appreciate the forums input.
I filled the coolant up 5 times so far and it keeps dropping below the L after 2 days.
No leakage as mentioned before. Could it spill out on top thru the hose while driving?

The mileage seems still strange to me. Just looking at the fuel gauge and it keeps dropping and dropping by driving a few kilometers. 300 kilometers on a full tank.

I also replaced the air filter.
Do you drive a Rondo or a Soul?
Might be the difference in engines, that you get such good mileage.

Used to have a VW Jetta TDI back in Europe and it was easy to achieve 5 liters per 100k, but that is with a diesel engine of course.

How would I know that the timing belt is worn out?
Any signs I can watch for?
When should I replace the spark plugs and fuel filter?

Thanks
FE

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
Let me rephrase what I said - if you want to refill the coolant you DO indeed add directly into the radiator, while small refills can be done to the reservoir. However, this is overflow tank. The excess of coolant (when engine is hot) gets there, and then comes back when cold.
The cap will come off. As conwelpic mentioned, do it only on cold engine. Twist the cap, when it stops, push it down and twist even further. Then pull. Make sure that when you put it back on it is in the same position (the sides are parallel to the radiator).

Could it be that the cap is loose and this is how you loose coolant?

For sure such drastic coolant consumption is not good sign...

Again - how many km you have?
TB (timing belt) - has it ever been done? You can't easily tell if the TB needs service. You might guess based on cracks, but when you see cracks on TB - it must be done right away. Otherwise you may trash your engine same day, same week, same year... no way to predict.

Idle - it is too high. It should be about 600-650 when hot.

Any CEL lights? Any codes?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Timing belt should be changed after a certain distance travelled, e.g. every 60,000 miles. This can be a problem with a second-hand car if the maintenance records aren't available.

Sometimes the looming list of maintenance items (belts, plugs, filters) is the reason for getting rid of an older car.

I have seen used timing belts that looked as good as new. You usually can't tell by inspection. Obviously if it looks bad, it is bad.

P.S. Testing the fuel consumption at 100 km/h is good reference point. You can usually find a reason to go for a ride in the country, and the fuel consumption found is about the best you'll get for that car without doing strange things like coasting or crawling along on the freeway. Any car that I've ever tested (and I've tested a few) will use 50% more fuel in the city when compared to the 100 km/h figure.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX - V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amazing. Did not know how to unlock the radiator cap.

Your help is really appreciated.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I filled the coolant up 5 times so far and it keeps dropping below the L after 2 days.
No leakage as mentioned before. Could it spill out on top thru the hose while driving?

The mileage seems still strange to me. Just looking at the fuel gauge and it keeps dropping and dropping by driving a few kilometers. 300 kilometers on a full tank.

I also replaced the air filter.
Do you drive a Rondo or a Soul?
Might be the difference in engines, that you get such good mileage.

How would I know that the timing belt is worn out?
Any signs I can watch for?
When should I replace the spark plugs and fuel filter?
we don't know who you purchased your Rondo from, was it private or a Kia dealer or some other new vehicle dealer? How many kilometers?
Use the maintenance schedule in your owners manual to know when to take care of regular items. Did you get a service record of its past history when you purchased it?

You could also have the cooling system flushed and tested, its a fairly cheap service from places that specialize in that.

You see from my DRIVES profile I drive a Soul, but the figures I quoted in the above posting (#7) were from my first year of ownership of my 2.4L '08 Rondo EX. The fuel economy rating for the V6 is 11.8 city, 7.9 highway; the 2.4L rating is 11 city and 7.5 highway.

DON'T USE YOUR GAS GAUGE TO DETERMINE ACCURATE FUEL ECONOMY! :)

auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-gauge.htm

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
Thank you
Have been looking into this.

Where did you place yours in the Car?
left side of the instrument cluster. it covers air bag light and slightly the ODO, but other then that is OK.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX - V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
update on the my "case" :)

Got the radiator fixed, just a bracket loose causing the coolant to leak while driving.
Never while standing, therefore was difficult to diagnose. Also got the timing belt done while the car was in the shop.

Fuel consumption is still a mystery to me.
Asking for some general feedback:
Kia Rondo 2007, V6 - how many kilometers do you drive until your tank shows half or empty (light coming on)
I am just looking for some comparison!
Mine is 200 Kilometers and the tank is exactly at half empty. Seems kind of steep for 20% city / 80% highway. Never faster than 90 km/h and soft start from standstill.

I would appreciate to get some feedback on how many kilometers do you get with a 2007 V6 on a tank.
Yes, I will investigate into a scan gauge....just not possible from a financial standpoint right now.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
schag001

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Hello everyone,
update on the my "case" :)

Fuel consumption is still a mystery to me.
Asking for some general feedback:
Kia Rondo 2007, V6 - how many kilometers do you drive until your tank shows half or empty (light coming on)
I am just looking for some comparison!
Mine is 200 Kilometers and the tank is exactly at half empty. Seems kind of steep for 20% city / 80% highway. Never faster than 90 km/h and soft start from standstill.
as I mentioned before DO NOT USE A GAS GAUGE TO DETERMINE FUEL ECONOMY. Calculate it out manually - km driven divided by the amount of litres you put in the tank.

HowStuffWorks "How Fuel Gauges Work" which explains the variations you can get on gauge readings and why.

we ask you earlier what you got if you figured it out manually but you have not replied to that question but you keep going on about your gas gauge reading.:puzzled:

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX - V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why can it be so hard to just ask this simple question?
I am not trying to calculated my consumption.

I just want to get a comparison on this.
For starters I just want to see what others see on half a tank.

Please and Thank you

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
But your gauge will tell you a lie.

If we compare, we'll just be collecting a bunch of lies. That's maybe reassuring to know if your car lies to you in the same way that someone else's car lies to them. But it still a bunch of lies.

For example, say I have an empty tank and your fuel gauge shows perfectly 1/2. I could siphon out all the gas from your tank and put it in my tank, and my fuel gauge is very unlikely to show the same 1/2 indication. It's a big fat liar.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts