Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put HIDs in their Borrego? I have 10000K HIDs in my Taurus and just put some in my grandma's 2010 Fusion and I have decided to put them in the Borrego. Has anyone put in HIDs? If so, how much did it cost and how easy were they to hook up?

Thanks guys.

Zach
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
I have.
And will tell one thing - I tested anything from about 6000K down to 4000K and found that there is nothing better than clear white light @4300K.
Anything above is... simply bad. Therefore, 10kK is one big mistake. I do not know why you decided to put 10kK on your grandmas car. It will kill her eyes. Human eyes hate blue color.
Besides, blue does not present colors correctly... but it looks cool. For kids, I think.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put in 5000k whites and I love them. I got them on ebay and made sure I got the smaller digital ballast - I think that is what they are called. Anyway, these ballasts are much smaller than the older style and I have not had any issues. I think I have had them for about 1.5 years now. Hardest part is removing the head light assembly. If you do some searching here, there are instructions listed on how to do this on the Borrego.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
I put in 5000k whites and I love them. I got them on ebay and made sure I got the smaller digital ballast - I think that is what they are called.
Oh, yes. The digital ballasts are better in a few ways.
The most important one is the current draw.
Let me give you some real numbers - from my own test during startup the current in old type of ballast spikes up to about 10-12A, and then slowly going down to steady about 3.2-3.8A (it depends on ballast's efficiency). It takes about 60 seconds at room temperature for current to stabilize.

The digital ones, though use the same current all the time. It takes longer to completely develop light (color and intensity) but it does not harm the wiring harness and you do not need extra cables/fuses.

Another pros is that they are smaller and lighter.

Downside - they consist of to parts...

·
Registered
47 Posts
putting HID's into a headlight assembly designed for an incandescent bulb is a bad idea... Its illegal first of all, violates federal DOT regulations, and it will also tend to blind oncoming drivers.

Reason is that headlight reflectors are very carefully designed for the source of light. A filament light gives off its light in a very specific location. HID's don't do that, and tend to emit light from a much larger area. That results in all kinds of stray light spraying all over the place.

Projector headlights like in the borrego aren't as bad as a typical reflector, but they still suffer. Very likely the actual light output reaching the ground is going to be LESS than a good set of incandescent bulbs. If you put HID's into a reflector housing, I can 100% guarantee your light output on the ground is less, especially at 10k. (don't let the placebo effect convince you otherwise)

If you want know all the tech stuff behind why putting HID's in is a horrible idea, go to the daniel stern link below. He is possible the #1 expert on automotive lighting and explains it in detail, as well as links to a bunch of side-by-side tests of incandescent vs retrofit.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 10000k in my Taurus and I like it much better. I cannot stand driving a car now unless it has HIDs, whether it be a small car or a big truck or SUV. They are much brighter than the stock bulbs. And with the whole blinding aspect, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and other luxury models, not to mention crappy Toyota, all come/can come with the HIDs, which are ofter about an 8000k if I am correct. They blind me and other cars, I could care less. I just prefer HIDs over any stock bulb, unless it is a HID. That is my personal experience

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and other luxury models, not to mention crappy Toyota, all come/can come with the HIDs, which are ofter about an 8000k if I am correct.
so you are all wrong...
Stock OEM HID is 4300K, only some American manufacturers used for some time 5000K, but for sure nothing more.

As for blinding and all the theory behind (provided by smokingcrate). It is true to some extend.
First of all, the article provided is old. Very old. Since then (especially the car tested) lights have changed a lot. And by many means.

There is no way to directly compare HID and halogen as there is no one standard halogen light bulb. Some of them have filament placed vertical, some horizontal... and it length - the whole filament produces light.

As for HID, there is a small bulb that makes the light. Comparing sizes - filament in some halogens is similar length. While light produced is... just a light.

Look at the movie, carefully. You will see that actually there is no extra light there, the patter is THE SAME.
Therefore, the statement that HID will glare is wrong. It does not. It is not HID lamp fault, but the reflector design.
They put halogen and HID into same type reflector. What they saw was simply the same pattern, the same bright spots, but HID made everything much more bright than it was with halogen.
You could achieve exactly same effect if you put 100W "xenon like" halogen bulb.

How you can test it? Simple - take a digital camera. Take a picture of the light pattern, install HID and do the same, but this time take more pictures with shorter shutter. You will see images are same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you are all wrong...
You could achieve exactly same effect if you put 100W "xenon like" halogen bulb.
I tried putting the higher wattage "xenon like" bulbs in my Taurus. I put in Halo headlights and some from auto-tuning, I believe, and neither of them compare to my HIDs I have now.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
I tried putting the higher wattage "xenon like" bulbs in my Taurus. I put in Halo headlights and some from auto-tuning, I believe, and neither of them compare to my HIDs I have now.
sure, they were not blue enough

·
Registered
204 Posts
BorregoV8 - I out in the 5000k in my Borrego and love them. However, my wife says they are too much. Last night I managed to lock my keys in my Borrego (long story...) and my wife had to come up and unlock my car. On the way home, I always drive behind her, just being safe I guess. Anyway, she called me and said "get in front of me now, I you care blinding me" so I had to pass her and get in front of her. my point here is that I wish I had gotten the 4300k lights. They might not have been so bad.

Now I can tell you this much - these HIDs emit more light than my stock halogens. Now I did not do any scientific tests or run any before and after scenarios, but this is how I know. I can see better at night with the HIDs. Regardless of what Daniel Stern thinks, in my case I can see better, further and clearer at night than with the OEM bulbs. In my mind, that’s all that matters to me. I do think that going with anything about 5000k is not a good idea as the lint becomes bluer thus not illuminating as much (which is the whole point here), but I think the Borrego is perfectly suited for the HIDs replacement.

If you are ever in the Louisville, KY area, I would gladly meet up with you and show you how my lights look at night.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BorregoV8 - Now I can tell you this much - these HIDs emit more light than my stock halogens.
How are your HIDs in term of longevity? I have not put them on my Borrego yet, but I have them in my Toyota Camry. The problem is in about 1 year, I've went through 4, 5 of these light bulbs. I think the problem is with one of the ballast. Initially when you turn on the HIDs, it seems like they are jolted with some high current. So the light bulbs go very bright at first, then the light bulbs went dim, then they brighten again slowly. I think this initial jolt is causing the light bulbs to fail pre-maturely. And one side seem to have a bigger jolt than the other. So I replaced the bad side with a different ballast. The initial jolt is not as bad as before. So hopefully the light bulb will last longer. But even on the better side, the light bulb just went out a couple days ago, which is just about 1 year. So I'm getting tired of replacing those HID light bulbs. I guess my question for those who are using the HIDs is that have your HID light bulbs last? And if you see the initial jolt of brightness when you first turn on the headlights?

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
the initial jolt as you call it is actually ignition of the gas.

HID is a High Intensity Discharge lamp, what meant the gas is a source of light, not a filament. Therefore, initially to start a very high voltage (a few thousands volts) is applied to ignite the gas, then the voltage drops back to about 85V.

Initial ignition is not so bad. I mean, this does cause the most damage, but not if it was COLD start. During the warm start (lets say you had them on - turn them off, and reignite them again within one minute) you simply oxidize (or burn) the gas causing the premature failure.
It is much better to leave them on, unless you let them to cool off completely.

Bad ballast can be at fault, too. Too high ignition voltage or too high running voltage will damage the bulbs.

Never replace one side only. If you changed ballast do it to both sides with the same manufacturer. There are so many of them and there is no standard so that two sources may differ by 10V (80V vs. 90V). Still within specs but light will be different.

I have had them for about 2 years now. Still happy. Never had a failure. Also, had other set for about 2 years on older car and never failed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
How are your HIDs in term of longevity? I have not put them on my Borrego yet, but I have them in my Toyota Camry. The problem is in about 1 year, I've went through 4, 5 of these light bulbs. I think the problem is with one of the ballast. Initially when you turn on the HIDs, it seems like they are jolted with some high current. So the light bulbs go very bright at first, then the light bulbs went dim, then they brighten again slowly. I think this initial jolt is causing the light bulbs to fail pre-maturely. And one side seem to have a bigger jolt than the other. So I replaced the bad side with a different ballast. The initial jolt is not as bad as before. So hopefully the light bulb will last longer. But even on the better side, the light bulb just went out a couple days ago, which is just about 1 year. So I'm getting tired of replacing those HID light bulbs. I guess my question for those who are using the HIDs is that have your HID light bulbs last? And if you see the initial jolt of brightness when you first turn on the headlights?
the ones I have are still running just like on day 1. When you power on the lights, there is a flash and then lights dim and then slowly go to full power. I would say this happens over a course of 3 seconds. My understanding is that this is normal. And I have not had any signs of my lights starting to weaken.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I will go with a 5000K. If someone wants to complain about my lights, let em. I just want something brighter than the stock ones. They emit far enough, but not bright enough. Plus, I want the look. All of my cars are kept in clean, pristine condition. And I love the looks of the HIDs. Let me upload my car really quick

·
Registered
68 Posts
the ones I have are still running just like on day 1. When you power on the lights, there is a flash and then lights dim and then slowly go to full power. I would say this happens over a course of 3 seconds. My understanding is that this is normal. And I have not had any signs of my lights starting to weaken.
Thanks for the feed backs. I guess it's just the manufacturer I got the ballasts (digital), and light bulbs from. But for mine, they do dim after a while. If you have to replace one light bulb, you will see. But it's still brighter than the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think I will go with a 5000K. If someone wants to complain about my lights, let em.
I got the 5000K in my Camry, and I think it's fine. For the Borrego, I haven't done it yet. But if I do it, I would just cut the wires from before they go into the housing, and make my connection there. I would not try to take the housing out. It would be a lot easier that way, and if I need to go back to the original light bulb, all it's needed is to reconnect the cuts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered 6K HIDs with a slim ballast. Hopefully they will be here Friday or Saturday. I put the 10K on my grandma's Fusion and she loves them. Yay for HIDs. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts