Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to do a hid conversion on my car and was wondering if anybody else had done this and had any heat issues? i know the aftermarket headlights on my Merker xR4ti say not to because of heat, but they were also very cheaply made.

update:

everything installed. really easy too. here are the pics. note that my digital camera loves to add a hint of blue to everything. they are not as blue as the pictures would seam, the color is between the newer bmws and a honda s2000

[attachmentid=663]

[attachmentid=664]

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
NICE! I have a few questions,...
How much was it? What's the name of the system? Where can the rest of us get it IF we want them? OH sorry, is it just a bulb? or a whole new set up?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is a big difference between a blue painted bulb and hid. the bulb you linked usually has less lumens that your stock bulbs. the hid look you get from those is because the blue paint filters out most of the yellow wavelength. alot of companies will sell higher wattage bulbs to make up for the difference in light loss. hid on the the other hand is not a regular filament bulb. with hid the light being produced is actually an arc of electricity. think of the bright light created when welding, that is basicaly whats goin on in your headlights. this will cause the light being produced depending on gasses used to be in a certain wavelength without filters creating more light. also since there is no filament to burn out they last longer. just think about the difference between the look of a car with blue ricer bulbs and a mercedes. how stuff works this will help also.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Great information! I'm happy with the bulbs that I have right now (Sylvania Silverstars).. atleast for now. I'll make sure that my next vehicle purchase will have HID as OE. Again thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Oh and you're right.. there's a HUGE differnece between HIDs and the HID-like Bulbs.. wierd thing is that the Silverstars are about $20 more than the BLUE Bulbs... (shrugs)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Actually I have a very important question.. what is the LIMIT that a bulb can be before it is considered ILLIGAL (US and Canadian requirements (FMVSS 108 and CMVSS 108))? 10,000K? 20,000K? 30,000K? My Sylvania Silverstars are ONLY 4000K.. so what IS the Legal Limit for Auto lightbulbs?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the highest i have seen for sale was 12000k and at that point you start looseing lumens. now above that were talkin combining wavelengths that wont shine very far without dissapating so i dont think it would be worth even using. to get proper light you need a full spectrum of color to be able to see everything properly. when you get up to those higher ranges you will start loseing some of the red and yellow wavelengths. which would make things like stop signs look really strange. the kelvin color grading scale is just what hue a peice of carbon has when heated and then we match that to the dominent colors of light being produced. so to anwer your question - i dont know, but as long as you dont try to make you own using medical light therapy equipment i dont think you will get a ticket.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
So I guess I'm good with my Silverstars since they're 4000K and HIDs are 4300K (well to start), So if I were to get an HID Conversion Kits then I should be look at what.. 6000K - 8000K to be on the safe side (With the lumines - not the law) Wonder what BMWs and Lexus uses on their cars.. maybe around 8000K.. hmm..

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
most factory hid systems run in the 5???k - 6???k. i believe my x1010 fog light kit was 5200k and it used sylvania xenarc bulbs, which are supposed to be the same as what sylvania sells to the manufactures. if i were to buy again i would go with a more stock range then the 8000k i bought, very bright and work well but a little to blue for me. guess ill just have to wait 10-20yrs for them to go out and buy a different color.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Originally posted by bjm@Nov 8 2005, 05:38 AM
most factory hid systems run in the 5???k - 6???k. i believe my x1010 fog light kit was 5200k and it used sylvania xenarc bulbs, which are supposed to be the same as what sylvania sells to the manufactures. if i were to buy again i would go with a more stock range then the 8000k i bought, very bright and work well but a little to blue for me. guess ill just have to wait 10-20yrs for them to go out and buy a different color.
Nice.. few questions.. what is the set up (fog lights) and where did you get the bulbs? I know you said Sylvania.. but I haven't seen it on their site... newayz, I've look on eBay for the kits.. and they're pretty good priced.. we'll see if I do it to my Optima or not.. only time.. AND money will tell! LMAO! :grin:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes that is the kit. i am not using it now, it was on my 95 SHO then was put on a really old olds bravada where they now rest in peace ( one to many electrical fires will cause problems with expensive toys, thank god the bravada was free :grin: ). it is about the only fog hid fog kit that i have seen that doesnt look home made. check ebay often if you do want one though, i bought mine on there for $150 used and have seen them go for that quite a few times.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Yeah, they look pretty sweet.. I'll look into them... for the time being, I'm looking up the bulbs sold @ Luminicbulb.com.. talk about sweet.. bulbs that burn @ 5,000+Kelvins and they cost as much or less than the Sylvania Silverstars.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts