Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the people who have a HID conversion kit on their rios? Did you installed a HID relay harness? Why? Is it recommended?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
I did not have to install one. I think it depends on the kit. Some kits require it, mine did not.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
Have you tried remounting the light? Could it be that it is not sitting in the housing correctly? Just a thought.

·
Registered
RIO5 SX Brenthon
41 Posts
My installer told me that you need a relay if you have DRL that turns on automatic
when you start the car. Since I'm in the states we don't have auto DRL. He did not put any relay.

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
Hopefully it's a simple fix, as Tony Flags mentioned. I hve seen improper bulb installs cause all kinds of lighting brightness/aim issues. As far as the relay harness goes, I always recommend a harness with any HID install. There are so many threads on this topic, and there is a lot of people that will be in favor of, or against the harness. I would just rather have it so the risk of overheating the OEM wiring is minimized. I have seen the pros and cons of either choice, but this is my preference.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I don't have automatic DRLs no matter what I do the passenger's side will always be less bright than the driver's side. I even reinstalled OEM halogens to see if the problem persisted and it did not. So I took the ballasts out swapped positions and again the same issue appeared so I can safely say the ballasts are not the problem. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
Did you try switching the bulbs as well?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5dr EX
39 Posts
While I don't have automatic DRLs no matter what I do the passenger's side will always be less bright than the driver's side. I even reinstalled OEM halogens to see if the problem persisted and it did not. So I took the ballasts out swapped positions and again the same issue appeared so I can safely say the ballasts are not the problem. Thoughts?
I installed a plug and play kit (6000k) with no relay and I experience this same issue. At first I thought I was just seeing things but the more I look at it, my driver side light is definitely brighter than the passenger side. To the point were one looks 6000k and one looks 5000k. I'm not gonna lie, I did go cheap and that may be the issue. I plan to get a better kit with a relay and see if it still continues.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I installed a plug and play kit (6000k) with no relay and I experience this same issue. At first I thought I was just seeing things but the more I look at it, my driver side light is definitely brighter than the passenger side. To the point were one looks 6000k and one looks 5000k. I'm not gonna lie, I did go cheap and that may be the issue. I plan to get a better kit with a relay and see if it still continues.
I'm gonna install two relay harnesses today and I'll let you know if this solved my problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts