Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this has been beaten to death, I am a new happy owner of a Sportage and just wanted to ask if there is a consensus on the most cost-effective yet entirely stock output to the specs. Is it easy to borrow from the higher turbo package level, is there a newer aftermarket solution? I am actually OK overall with halogens (and the fog lights are amazing on this one), it's just that having had xenon on my previous cars I'm kind of used to the higher density of light, that's all.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
1,797 Posts
Depending on your country's laws (or your willingness to break them), you can get higher output bulbs. That's the cheapest and easiest solution. Trying to upgrade to the SX solution can be very expensive, and in my opinion, not worth it. Make sure your lights are properly adjusted -- that can make a huge difference.

Reactions: denisk

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on your country's laws (or your willingness to break them), you can get higher output bulbs. That's the cheapest and easiest solution. Trying to upgrade to the SX solution can be very expensive, and in my opinion, not worth it. Make sure your lights are properly adjusted -- that can make a huge difference.
Thank you, good call on adjustment, its all good there, cutoff lines are where they're supposed to be. So, plugging in the hid's from the higher trim-level is a pain?

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,203 Posts
Please forgive me if this has been beaten to death, I am a new happy owner of a Sportage and just wanted to ask if there is a consensus on the most cost-effective yet entirely stock output to the specs. Is it easy to borrow from the higher turbo package level, is there a newer aftermarket solution? I am actually OK overall with halogens (and the fog lights are amazing on this one), it's just that having had xenon on my previous cars I'm kind of used to the higher density of light, that's all.
Another reason I went for the top of the line model.
I LOVE the Bi-Xeon HID headlights with Dynamic Bending Light.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
1,797 Posts
Thank you, good call on adjustment, its all good there, cutoff lines are where they're supposed to be. So, plugging in the hid's from the higher trim-level is a pain?
As I understand it, you can't just plug in the hid's. The supporting structure and entire light unit must be replaced. I believe the wiring is also slightly different since there was an electrical connection to the steering unit. My guess is that you are talking about a few thousand dollars. I wouldn't go for aftermarket upgrades as many of those create heat issues. Put in a couple of higher powered bulbs and call it a day...

Reactions: denisk

·
Registered
2016 Sportage 2.0crdi aut 4wd
53 Posts
Just put an illegal aftermarket HID kit on those original halogen units you have. Aftermarket LEDs aren't usually that good on projector lights, but you can easily use 50-70W HID kits on without blinding oncoming traffic. I have original HID lights (D3S 35W) on my 2016 Sportage, but upgraded them to 70W (D2S), which wasn't an easy job (up to 50W it's a plug&play). Because they are projector type units, just like halogen ones, there's a very sharp cut line and thus no glaring effect. Also installed ORIGINAL cube styled LED fog lights (not those cheap Chinese daylights) plus hide two 200W led bars behind bumper/grille. Only problem with original headlights was that when I adjust low beam properly, high beam is way too high. With high beam LED bars this is no longer a problem as there's so much light that it's all the same where my original lights are pointed.

Also people driving in icy/snowy weather like I do almost half of the year, should understand that aftermarket LED bulbs don't generate heat enough to keep the light lenses open in bad weather. Inside OEM LED unit there's usually additional heating element/blower to do this. Although my neighbour's new Toyota Hilux with OEM LEDs apparently doesn't have those and he needs to stop and scrape those plastic lenses in the winter time. Don't know how it is with original KIA LEDs as I haven't driven one in a blizzard yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts