Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting to writing up this How-To on an HID kit install. I've had the kit installed for about 2 months now and love it. Very easy to do.

I purchased my kit from:

HID Direct Online

Unfortunately, the company I purchase all of my LEDs and HID kits from doesn't have an H11 HID kit available yet. I met the owner of HID Direct Online at this years auto show in Philly, everything seemed legit. Anyways:

1. Remove headlight housings.
2. Remove dust covers.
3. Drill quarter (as in a $0.25 piece) size hole through dust cover.
4. Install new XENON bulb into housing. You'll need to play around with the bulb to get it to fit, but it go in.
5. Run wires from bulb out through the dust cover. Re-install dustcover.
6. I spliced directly into the power wire for each housing. Red for driver side, pink for passenger.
7. Locate appropriate grounds for each side.
8. Make sure all wiring from/to the ballasts are plugged in, as well as to/from the bulbs.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Removed dust cover and OE halogen bulb

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try and drill through if possible. I didn't have a functioning drill to use at the time so I used a soldering gun. Looks like shit in that picture but I cleaned it up before putting it back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bulb is a bit tricky to get to fit but with a little bit of finesse, you'll get it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran the wires through the dustcover.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spliced into the pink wire on passenger side ONLY for power. Red wire for driver side ONLY.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used this bolt here as a ground on the driver side. You may have to drill your own hole on the passenger side for a ground like I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can tuck the ballasts away into the fenders like this if you don't want to drill any holes to mount them. I decided to drill afterwards with some stainless steel bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty clean look once you're all done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with the 3500K (yellow obviously).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Oh god, is this one of the china "kinda" real hid kits like on ebay, that blind everyone?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All kits are made out of country. It's illegal to manufacture/package XENON gas filled bulbs/kits here in the states And it's not the bulbs that make them blinding, it's headlight housing. They're supposed to be used with projector headlights.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
And so we use them why? To blind people knowingly. Really?

And yellow, even worse. Not to mention not DOT legal.

Reactions: trixrabite

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX V6 AWD, RIP 2003 Sorento EX 3.5L
154 Posts
Nice Install Job

I went with the 3500K (yellow obviously).

Thank you for the installation pics Rio-Grande!

Can you tell me what type of ballast did you get, 35w or 55w?
And maybe if you know - what is the difference between the two?

Thank you,

Vadim

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Buy real hids. Not blind ppl. and you being in NY, your never going to pass inspection/

·
Registered
154 Posts
Buy real hids. Not blind ppl. and you being in NY, your never going to pass inspection/

Thanks 1fastkia,

To buy the real ones and not to blind others I need more info, this is why I posted a question.
So now I have 2 questions, the difference between the 2 ballast's (35w and 55W?) and now what is a real HID and where to get it?

Care to help me with an answer?

Thank you,

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vadim: First thing, and BEST thing I can tell you, is research as much as you can and educate yourself as much as possible so you don't sound like stupid (like someone else on here). Also, educate yourself on your local laws.

There are differences in kits between every company, just like any other product in the world. Reliability is different for each one. I use two companies, who's products I've been using for 10+ years and have never had a problem with their products or customer service.

I've always used 35w for my HIDs. They provide cleaner, slightly brighter light than the 55w, and they don't produce as much heat. If you go with a 55w, make sure you buy the ballast and bulb together to ensure they both match up on wattage.

There are no "fake" HID kits. Unless you go to Pep Boys and buy a Halogen bulb that says something like "HID look." There's only good and bad kits, and what application they're being installed in to.

If you have any questions, feel free to message.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Awesome!

Thank you Rio-Grande,

As a matter of fact I did do tons of research last night and some today, this is what I will buy:

Will get low beam HID Kit 35w - 5000k bulb = nice white light, runs cooler, should not blind others, should work for a long time.

Not sure if I need the relay cables to attach to the battery?
Some say you need the relay cable if using digital ballast to help with light flickering?

Not sure about analog or digital ballast, some say digital others say analog?

To me analog seems like its build tougher.

DDM Tuning sells both and full size Raptor is $10 cheaper, not that I am looking for cheap stuff. Much rather buy a system build correctly for a reasonable price.

Raptor: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

Slim Ballast: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

If you can – please suggest other sellers of quality HID kits.
I called DDM but they did not pick up the phone so I left them a VM, so far no call back from them.

Thank you Rio-Grande for all the info.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Received my VVME H7 HID 5000k kit today.

First impressions are NOT good, the box was not bubble rapped and not protected at all. One of the corners on the box looks like it was smashed, luckily the items inside look undamaged.
I will try to test the kit tonight to see if all works, but the actual permanent install will have to wait till the weekend.
I opened the back cover on one of the ballast’s and it is sealed to protect against water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Rio Grande,
I wonder if you could help me finding electrical outlet (Plug or Socket or even a cigar lighter outlet) in the engine compartment, I need to hook a new LED front lights on my Cerato 2009. Thanks. mbanno

1 - 20 of 99 Posts