Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY: HID installation into 2015+ sedona w/ Halogen headlights

After seeing a couple of threads asking about aftermarket lighting in the stock halogen headlights, I decided to share my experience with putting HID ballasts in our vans. I'm not an expert, but I have done my fair share of HID "retrofits" in several vehicles, including full HID projector installations in headlight housings.

To begin, Kia chose an interesting way to mount the H7 bulb in the headlights; rather than the usual metal retainer to directly lock the bulb in place w/ a separate socket to power the bulb, they chose to use a plastic socket with integrated "holder" for the bulb - this assembly would then be locked into the projecter housing. This presents a couple of packaging problems as 1) you have to either cut or retain the bulky plastic holder with the HID bulb/capsules, 2) have to modify aftermarket HID capsules with a separate plastic retainer, and 3) are limited to HID capsules or LED bulbs with flexible heatsinks if you want to keep the factory headlight cover.

Now that's out of the way, onto the pictures. 1)First, is the stock low-beam (right) vs. HID (left) - I chose 4300k temp.

2)You'll need to a basic H7 HID kit (w/ capsules and ballast) as well as the plastic holders to allow them to go inside the projector - the latter are readily available on Ebay for about $5 - search Kia K6 headlight holders. Make sure they are this shape.

3) You will need to attach the H7 capsule/bulb onto the holder - given how my H7 capsule was bundled with a silicone plug and ballast power wires, I chose to cut a slit in the holder to get the capsule in the center.

4)Line up the H7 capsule tabs on the holder and use high-temp silicone adhesive to bond it into place

5) drill a 1" hole into the OEM rear bulb cover and make sure to cut the back ribs flush so the silicon plug can fit snugly; you can buy a second set from KIA for about $14 each.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
6) Test fit of the HID plug inside the rear headlight cover. To ease installation, it's best to NOT have the rear cover installed on the plug while you're trying to slide the capsule inside the projector; run the plugs and wires through the hole inside the rear cover AFTER you finish everything inside the headlight assembly.

7)Time to install the HID capsule inside the the headlights. Some tips:

-makes sure the capsule glass is clean and grease free
-the aftermarket holders are more flimsy than OEM - make sure all 4 tabs lock into place and is securely installed in the projector. Initially, I was wondering why my beam pattern and light output were way off when I first installed them, it turned out the holders did not seat properly and came loose after I buttoned everything up.
-if you chose to keep the OEM socket/holder inside the headlight assembly, there is enough room to slide it under the capsule.

8) I chose an easily- reversible installation. Insert the wiring harness for the ballast into the OEM socket/holder - HID ballast are polarity sensitive, test fire the ballasts to make sure your wires are oriented properly before wrapping the wires in electrical tape.

9) Slide the HID wires through the hole in the rear cover, fit the silicone plug around the hole and refit the rear cover to the back of the headlight. You can mount the ballast where ever you like, depending on what you have. I chose slim ballasts with a separate igniter module - these were securely mounted to the underside trim of each headlight assembly.

**IMPORTANT** the stock headlight wiring is terrible - I had severe flickering issues when the ballasts were fully powered up. You have 2 options - run an separate relay harness for the HID (being triggered by the stock socket) or get capacitors to even out the voltage to the ballasts. For the purpose of this guide, I chose the capacitors ($10 at various retailers), however as I have a spare wiring harness, I plan to go with that when time allows.

10) Done.

11) headlight output.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beam pattern. Being a halogen projector, its not terrible, however you can see two focal points where each light concentrates (hotspots). Beam cutoff isn't the sharpest, but coupled with the diffused "squirrel catchers", glare is controlled. I lost the stock beam pattern pic, but its very similar to the HID. However, the limitations of the lenses KIA chose are much more apparent with the extra light output from HID's.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sedona SX
105 Posts
Nice write-up. I might just tackle this one of these days. I've never installed HIDs, but done plenty of other lighting and wiring projects.

Since you've done quite a few HID retrofits, are there any brands you recommend, or a trusted online retailer?

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice write-up. I might just tackle this one of these days. I've never installed HIDs, but done plenty of other lighting and wiring projects.

Since you've done quite a few HID retrofits, are there any brands you recommend, or a trusted online retailer?
Thanks, I've had good luck with Morimoto projectors/shrouds, and DDM tuning ballasts - good value for the money. Of course, OEM from the junkyards Try to avoid the generic "ebay" stuff as the quality is very variable.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just an update. I've decided to keep the capacitors in place - there's no easy way to get reliable ground to a separate wiring harness for the headlights as the front radiator frame is bolted to the van via plastic (!) brackets. I would need to run wire outside of my loom to ground to the fender, leading to a less-than OEM looking install.

Also, in hindsight, you probably don't *NEED* to do step #3 in my walkthrough - I think with enough persuasion, one can push most of the plastic connectors through the hole in the K6 holder.

Finally, as an update, after 2 months, the headlights have been working perfectly with no misalignment or decrease in performance.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great let us know how it went. I'd love to see other people's experience with this, as well as any notes to improve the installation process.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
hi, i did this to a buddy of mine in his 2018 sedona, don't have to have a slit on that bulb holder, it will make the hid bulb go out of focus like the passenger side that you have..
or maybe have superglue between the bulb holder and the H7 HID base to make it stay while putting them in..
what i did on the base is to just have the female 9006 harness slip through by taking away the plastic that was encased with it or just trim the side..

·
Registered
2015 Sedona EX - Premium Package
731 Posts
Just installed LED on my Headlights(H7) for my EX. Not as great as HID but satisfactory servings it's purpose. No flickering, no errors and retains it dust cover intact. Upload some photos later.

·
Registered
2018 Sedona SX+
12 Posts
Hey Spicy, where did you go?
i just bought a 2018 SX+ and would like to do this mod too!
Thanks!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey Spicy, where did you go?
i just bought a 2018 SX+ and would like to do this mod too!
Thanks!
As I said you need a H7 socket for KIA and LED bubs (can be dismantled) example: XtremeVision V3 48W 7,200LM - H7 LED Headlight Conversion Kit - 5700K Philips...All can be bought over Ebay or Amazon.

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
153 Posts
LED Headlight/FOG installed. Berry at 31k miles, almost 3 years old.
More important than what the headlights themselves look like with the LED bulbs... how does the beam pattern look? I have done a ton of HID conversions, but not an LED one yet, so I'm curious.

·
Registered
731 Posts
More important than what the headlights themselves look like with the LED bulbs... how does the beam pattern look? I have done a ton of HID conversions, but not an LED one yet, so I'm curious.
Volfy, It looks good since there's projectors on it though it's not reaching that far. You can tell it's better than stock halogen when tested in the dark. You can see some photos I posted on the other thread for your reference.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona SX
105 Posts
I just ordered this kit https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems-20/hid-systems-universal/h7-morimoto-elite.html

Morimoto XB 35w ballasts with H7B 4500k bulbs. I opted for the CANBUS connector vs the relay setup. It's supposed to have some capacitors and resistors in it to eliminate flickering and bulb-out warnings.

Also picked up these H7 adapters from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XBRPJ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They look like the ones kobi411 used, so I hope they work.

I'm going to attempt this at first without removing the front bumper and headlights. If that doesn't go as planned, I guess I'll be spending some time taking off the bumper. I've been able to successfully swap the OEM low beams for OSRAM nightbreakers, so it should work out fine.

·
Registered
2018 Sedona SX+
12 Posts
mletchworth, I just picked up my 2018 Sedona SX+ and this is one of the first mods I'd like to do so I'm very interested in how yours turns out!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts