Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up a fully loaded 2014 LX AWD Sorento and am looking to install HIDs into it.

I'm just wondering, has anyone done it on this forum and what type of bulbs is it? (Is it still H11b?).

I installed a kit on a 2011 optima and it was pretty straight forward, just want to make sure it's the same with the sorento. From what it looks like under the hood, it should be a lot easier than the install on the optima because there's so much more room to work with.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
26 Posts
So I purchased a DDM Kit, but I hastily went off what the bulb was in a US Sorento which was a H7. The Kit arrived a week 1/2 ago and It was the wrong bulbs. You will notice on the Headlight housing that the bulb itself does not socket into the housing but the bulb and the connector. So while the Bulb is a H7 the connector with the Bulb attached is more like a H11. That's my next step is to get some Halogen H11's and attempt to socket them to make sure that's the correct bulb to order in HID.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts
Since HID headlights are now available on the upper trim, why not install this kit ? Too expensive I guess ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I purchased a DDM Kit, but I hastily went off what the bulb was in a US Sorento which was a H7. The Kit arrived a week 1/2 ago and It was the wrong bulbs. You will notice on the Headlight housing that the bulb itself does not socket into the housing but the bulb and the connector. So while the Bulb is a H7 the connector with the Bulb attached is more like a H11. That's my next step is to get some Halogen H11's and attempt to socket them to make sure that's the correct bulb to order in HID.

Actually, I'm finishing up my install today. H7 bulbs fit fine. All you need it the h7 bulb holder sold by diode dynamics for the Hyundai genesis (fits perfectly for the sorento.)

I have the relay and ballasts install and ziptied. I just need to wait for a replacement bulb to come in today since one they sent me didn't work. I confirmed that everything fits and that two bulbs work fine (I had one h7 in my drivers and a spare h11 on the side lol).

I'll be getting my replacement bulb from diode dynamics today and ill throw the bulbs in and take some pictures. This install was by far easier than installing them into a 2011 optima. There is so much more room and you don't need to remove anything.

Since HID headlights are now available on the upper trim, why not install this kit ? Too expensive I guess ?
The oem hids aren't on the market yet, but when they will be, they'll be ridiculously priced. The OEM hids for an optima cost over $1000 so I expect the sorento ones to be priced similarly.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep that's them.

They hold in the h7 bulb just like the original connectors hold the bulb. From what Ive read about h7 hids, normally you need to modifiy the original holder in order to hold the new bulb so I'm glad I found these. I figured they should work since Hyundai and Kia share their parts, and sure enough they did.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got everything installed and working perfectly. I went with 4300k, but I might switch to 5000k or 6000k in a couple months. Depends how I like it. Im coming from a car which had 6000k in it and this looks a little bit yellowish to me.

Drivers Side Install:

Passengers Side Install:

Ballasts on both sides are underneath the high beams with 3m applicator pads:

Finished shots:

All in all, it was a straight forward install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 sorento HID's

hey asdad123,

From you pixs, it looks like you've got something mounted into the "caps" that would normally be removed to replaced the std headlights. Did you drill through them, or is this another separate piece you've obtained?

Also, any problems with error messages on the dash?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey asdad123,

From you pixs, it looks like you've got something mounted into the "caps" that would normally be removed to replaced the std headlights. Did you drill through them, or is this another separate piece you've obtained?

Also, any problems with error messages on the dash?
You have to drill through the dust caps in order to get the wires through to the bulb just like any other HID install.

And no problems with error messages. I only used a relay, no capacitors or warning cancelers.

·
Registered
07 Optima EX V6
8 Posts
Great job asdad123! Did you get 35 or 55 W kit? Also did the relay come with the kit you bought or did you wire that in your self? Please post link to the H7 kit you got. I installed a 35W HID kit with the bulb adapters few weeks ago just as you described but w/o a Relay. Got things to work but lights would turn off after running a few minutes. Was able to turn them back on but they would just turn off. I pulled them out & went back to stock bulbs but would really like HID's. I put them in my 07 Optima & have ran them for 6yrs w/o any issues. Now Im spoiled to HID's

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great job asdad123! Did you get 35 or 55 W kit? Also did the relay come with the kit you bought or did you wire that in your self? Please post link to the H7 kit you got. I installed a 35W HID kit with the bulb adapters few weeks ago just as you described but w/o a Relay. Got things to work but lights would turn off after running a few minutes. Was able to turn them back on but they would just turn off. I pulled them out & went back to stock bulbs but would really like HID's. I put them in my 07 Optima & have ran them for 6yrs w/o any issues. Now Im spoiled to HID's
I went with this kit. Added the relay for $10.

Precision HID Conversion Kit (all sizes) - H7 - HID & LED by Size - Replacement Lighting

Ive had the same set, but H11 in my 2011 Optima for the past 1.5 years and havent had a problem.

I would always recommend a relay when installing aftermarket HIDs because the power will be supplied from the battery, rather than the current wiring, which means if something goes wrong with the car, they cant blame the HIDs since it has its own harness.

Like I said, installing everything in this car was such a breeze. There was so much room to work with. In the optima, I had to remove the water coolant tank,and battery, and then remove parts inside the headlight assembly to connect the wiring. Such a pain. This I was done in about 30 minutes compared to nearly 2-3 hours on the optima.

·
Registered
07 Optima EX V6
8 Posts
Thanks. Got everything ordered to give it another go. I bet I just need to add the relay the 1st time. Have you or anyone done anything to improve the Fog/Driving lights ? Im thinking of Piaa bulbs.

·
Vendor
405 Posts
Thanks. Got everything ordered to give it another go. I bet I just need to add the relay the 1st time. Have you or anyone done anything to improve the Fog/Driving lights ? Im thinking of Piaa bulbs.
We have great LED/HID's for fog lights as well, PM me if you need help finding the right set :D

Nick C.

·
Registered
07 Optima EX V6
8 Posts
Got the Low Beam HID's installed. I went with the 6000K which is what I was use to in my Optima. I have had them in just over a week & Turned out great! Made a big difference. Very noticeable sharp cut off line & focused beam pattern. Hell when I turn on the brights there is hardly any increase in light output other then in the trees. Will try out LED High Beams & see if I get any improvement. Would do HID for High Beams but they don't stand up to short on/off cycles very well.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX AWD, 2013 Ford Escape SEL AWD
15 Posts
Actually, I'm finishing up my install today. H7 bulbs fit fine. All you need it the h7 bulb holder sold by diode dynamics for the Hyundai genesis (fits perfectly for the sorento.)

I have the relay and ballasts install and ziptied. I just need to wait for a replacement bulb to come in today since one they sent me didn't work. I confirmed that everything fits and that two bulbs work fine (I had one h7 in my drivers and a spare h11 on the side lol).

I'll be getting my replacement bulb from diode dynamics today and ill throw the bulbs in and take some pictures. This install was by far easier than installing them into a 2011 optima. There is so much more room and you don't need to remove anything.

The oem hids aren't on the market yet, but when they will be, they'll be ridiculously priced. The OEM hids for an optima cost over $1000 so I expect the sorento ones to be priced similarly.
Thanks A LOT for posting this. Got a OPT7 55W 5000K HID kit with Relay for my 2014 Sorento SX and when I pulled the H7 bulb out I was like "what the ..." "how is the bulb supposed to mount". Glad I saw your post. Makes sense. and everything looks pretty straight forward. Just ordered the bulb holder from diode dynamics.
Did you, or are you doing anything with your High Beams ? Thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX V6 AWD
51 Posts
So I picked up the kit that's been mentioned from Diode Dynamics -- the H7 6000K HID. I gotta say, at first I was a bit skeptical from the packaging. It's a sturdy box but clearly mass produced in an asian factory far far away. Not that I didn't expect that, but I was concerned I may have purchased a $100 piece of garbage.

The install went alright. It certainly could have been smoother as I ran into a few snags along the way, mostly related to the actual seating of the bulbs. I picked up the light adapters aforementioned as well--luckily I noticed that because they definitely would not have fit without them. The adapters are cheap plastic though (they appear to be metal in the online photos), and they definitely don't hold as tight as I'd like them to. They also don't really hold the actual bulb very well, there's a bit of room to move which has me mildly concerned. If I notice any shaking I may take them out and fill the space between the bulb and adapter with hot glue or something. I haven't noticed any flickering or shaking yet though and the roads around me are pretty crappy. So thus far, everything is great! I did have to drill holes into the dust caps in order to feed the wiring through as well, so there's no way around that.
I'll post a few photos of the lights before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX V6 AWD
51 Posts
The kit I mentioned previously did come with 2 rubber gaskets with holes in them for the wires but in order to get the wiring through I had to cut into them slightly.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts