Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced there 893 fog light bulbs with HID? Did you use a relay harness or just a canbus kit?

And yes i know its not recommended but i do alot of very late night driving when traffic is very minimal

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Oh goody, so the few cars on the road late at night can be blinded by you! How about you just do your headlights with a quality HID kit, the fogs do next to nothing but blind everyone else.

Just as a side note, I would have thought that the general demographic driving this car would be a little older than 18 years of age, however some of the things people are doing to these cars and their "me me me" attitude makes me think otherwise. If people know how annoying and dangerous something is, why do it? Screw everyone else on the road, as long as the person is happy with their move that is all that matters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Gee Thanks ILLJIM69 for all your great input. Why don't you use all that energy into helping people instead of looking for an argument. For starters you have no idea what roads i am driving, being them main roads or back roads. And secondly if you don't like what people are doing to their cars. Then don't post. Your negativity isn't needed, and I'm pretty sure i speak for everyone when i say its also unwanted.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I have a yellow overlay on my fog light lens, regardless, I don't turn them on while on the road.
See I don't think you would have a problem though since I assume you kept the stock bulbs (which aren't bright) and the yellow overlays would actually cut down on light emission (thus making them less bright). Plus there are cars that come with yellow fogs from the factory, that isn't a safety hazard.

Placing ridiculously bright HIDs into a housing not designed to focus the light but spread the light is dangerous and illegal in most places. My neighbor has HIDs in his Altima's fog housings, the thing blinds everyone facing the car, it doesn't make sense.

Gee Thanks ILLJIM69 for all your great input. Why don't you use all that energy into helping people instead of looking for an argument. For starters you have no idea what roads i am driving, being them main roads or back roads. And secondly if you don't like what people are doing to their cars. Then don't post. Your negativity isn't needed, and I'm pretty sure i speak for everyone when i say its also unwanted.
Sorry but I can't get behind your question regarding a mod that is most likely illegal where you live but also dangerous to other drivers and most importantly pointless. Instead of spending your time looking up ways to cause accidents, maybe you should ask about what HID kits people are running in their headlights, which will give you ALL the light you will NEED no matter where you're driving.

Oh and if you don't like that people will often not agree with you and have different opinions, don't post on public forums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i have hid's in my headlights im just looking for more light. And its not the fact that i care if people agree with me cause every one has there own opinions. Opinions are like [email protected], everyone has one. Its the fact that you never questioned as to why i was looking to do it you, automatically assumed and gave a smart ass remark. Im not looking to blind people or "rice" out my vehicle, That was never my intention. Im looking for more illumination on the road and hid's are at the top of that list.

So how about i ask this. Does anyone know of a brighter bulb that i can replace my stock oem that is a whiter more useable light?

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
I too have thought about HID's in all three lghts (lo, hi and fog), even went as far as purchasing three kits. Then I started to read about how they should be installed, problems with just bulb replacement retrofits, glare for oncoming traffic and I am now reconsidering my approach. This is what I have picked up over the past couple of months:

The main issue with HID's is ensuring the housing of the bulb is correct, they should be installed in Projectors, just changing the bulb for a simular based HID globe and keeping the standard reflector is the cause of most of the light spill.

These reflectors are inherently poorly designed for the HID as they are trying to bring together cuttoff, spread, focus and a number of other parameters.

It is not unusal for them to have inefficiencies of the light focus that leads to light being spread out in directions it was not intended. With a low lumen light source such as the low wattage OEM filiment bulb this spillage is "accepable", but increase your lumen source such as with the high intensity of a HID, then the spillage is very pronounced.

The good projectors focus the light correctly, have very little non-intential spill, and if a Bi-xenon system have a mechanical shield that comes into the light beam to give excelent kow beam cutoff.

So back to the question of HID's in fog lights - well they will essentially be useless for fog as there is too much light at the wrong K temperature, you cannot buy a HID bulb with the low K needed to penetrate fog as far as I know. even the 4300's are too white and will reflect back of the fog water droplets and be too glary for you to see. Hence why most fogs lamps are yellow lenses or yellow bulbs.

But from what I rear of the OP's intention, it is to use the fog mounting as a source for additional driving lights (i.e. non-fog conditions). This is what I was thinking when I bought my sets. The Sportage fog reflector is not designed for this task, and I believe it will cause even more spill than HIDs in the hi beam reflectors. I also would not put in a high wattage halogen as I think it would melt the plastic housing due to the small size of these lights.

You might be able to mount one of the mini-projectors. You need to pull the lense of the light assemble to be able to mount the mini-projector and need about 107mm from the back of the lense to the bulb mounting surface, I don't know if there is that much room.

I don't think the chances of fitting even the mini's are all too good without a lot of work. Whilst it sounds appealing having high output light in this location, it's probably best to leave them as originally intended and maybe fit them with good yellow type filters/bulbs.

BTW, I ended up fitting an alloy nudge bar and a couple of 100mm LED spotties wired into hi beam. This will tide me over until I sort out whether to go for a quad Bi-xenon projector arrangement.

My 2c worth.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Well i have hid's in my headlights im just looking for more light. And its not the fact that i care if people agree with me cause every one has there own opinions. Opinions are like [email protected], everyone has one. Its the fact that you never questioned as to why i was looking to do it you, automatically assumed and gave a smart ass remark. Im not looking to blind people or "rice" out my vehicle, That was never my intention. Im looking for more illumination on the road and hid's are at the top of that list.

So how about i ask this. Does anyone know of a brighter bulb that i can replace my stock oem that is a whiter more useable light?
Actually the higher up you go on the light temperature scale, the less usable the light is to the human eye. Otherwise car makers wouldn't be using 4300k HIDs, they would use 10,000k or higher.

As for your problem with low light, there are tons of options out there, although most are for OFF ROAD USE ONLY in just about all 50 states. Who knows, maybe you live in Canada and blinding people is illegal. Your statements don't dismiss mine in that you only seem to care about you getting more light and not about how that light will affect others.

So I guess I just have to ask; where in the world do you live and at what speeds are you traveling on a daily basis that headlights aren't enough?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
See I don't think you would have a problem though since I assume you kept the stock bulbs (which aren't bright) and the yellow overlays would actually cut down on light emission (thus making them less bright). Plus there are cars that come with yellow fogs from the factory, that isn't a safety hazard.
No, they're HID bulbs and they're wired independent of the low beam lights. Even though I rarely turn them on (and never when there is on coming traffic), sometimes I like having stuff done just to say that I've had it done. :D

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I've tried LED bulbs in the fog light housings, they don't throw enough light on to the road - probably because of the design of the reflector in the housing.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
Actually the higher up you go on the light temperature scale, the less usable the light is to the human eye. Otherwise car makers wouldn't be using 4300k HIDs, they would use 10,000k or higher.

As for your problem with low light, there are tons of options out there, although most are for OFF ROAD USE ONLY in just about all 50 states. Who knows, maybe you live in Canada and blinding people is illegal. Your statements don't dismiss mine in that you only seem to care about you getting more light and not about how that light will affect others.

So I guess I just have to ask; where in the world do you live and at what speeds are you traveling on a daily basis that headlights aren't enough?

Have you never driven at night where there's cloud cover and no street lamps? It's QUITE dark. Any extra light IS quite helpful. Speed isn't much of a factor in the appreciativeness of more light. It allows you to see just that much better.

I'm sure also wayne would turn them off (just like with high beams) if there was oncoming traffic or traffic in front (since highs with traffic is illegal, and EVERYONE knows that...). If he's driving where traffic is minimal, I'm confused as to why you care so much as to how it will affect others, when he's saying that when he drives at night, there's basically no one else around.

I've tried LED bulbs in the fog light housings, they don't throw enough light on to the road - probably because of the design of the reflector in the housing.
Yes don't do LED. They're just bright, but don't throw light. Unless you rip apart an OEM LED headlight and use those. But that's super expensive.

Actually, exLED sells a 3500K HID bulb, but I don't know if that's still too white to penetrate fog.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Have you never driven at night where there's cloud cover and no street lamps? It's QUITE dark. Any extra light IS quite helpful. Speed isn't much of a factor in the appreciativeness of more light. It allows you to see just that much better.
Yep. Lived out in the country where there were no street lamps, small roads, lots of wildlife, not even light pollution to help (not that it does). I won't even get into all the hours I have behind the wheel in blackout drive and no NODs.

Speed is a factor. You can drive with almost no light at all if you go slow enough. If speed wasn't a factor then how can cars "outrun" their headlights?

I'm sure also wayne would turn them off (just like with high beams) if there was oncoming traffic or traffic in front (since highs with traffic is illegal, and EVERYONE knows that...). If he's driving where traffic is minimal, I'm confused as to why you care so much as to how it will affect others, when he's saying that when he drives at night, there's basically no one else around.
I am sure every other person who puts ridiculous lights on their cars says the same thing, until they tire of reaching for the switch; assuming they even care. By the time another car is in sight it is too late anyway, you have already annoyed them.

Clearly he doesn't live around me, so ultimately it has no bearing on my life. I just don't like the cavalier attitude people take towards vehicle lighting and other drivers. Everyone says "oh I will only run them off road" or "only when nobody else is around" but that cannot be true. If it were then people would never see others with HIDs in halogen buckets or HIDs in fog/driving housings.

EDIT - That is just my opinion though, people are obviously free to do what they want with their cars, although I do hope the people in the States get tickets for it, it is very inconsiderate and I don't buy people saying that they will never ever ever run them on public roads when others are driving around them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts