Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
I just did the install on my rondo the other day. However, I cut the stock connectors off the headlight harness, leaving enough wire attached that I could solder them back on. I'm not worried about warranty issues since the wires I cut were contained in the headlight assembly itself, not part of the vehicle's wiring harness. I installed the ballasts under the headlights themselves. No pics but if you take your headlight out, they sit in a fiber-reinforced plastic tray. There's just enough room under this tray to install the ballast. The ballasts i used had three mounting holes that were tapped for machine screws. I had some stainless SHCS from a motorcycle carb kit that fit perfectly. I installed two of the three screws downward through the plastic into the ballasts, and used the third hole to zip tie the wires to. Makes for a clean, nearly invisible install with plenty of cooling air around it. I am going to get some friction tape to wrap the wires though so that everything matches OEM exactly.

·
Registered
2008 Rondo EX V6 5 passenger
134 Posts
in my opinion there is no need to do high beams, unless you drive a lot, and I really mean a lot during night when you can turn on the high beams for a long time - which means more than 5 minutes.
If not - it is a waste of money. better get sylvania silverstar or something (but keep 55W, otherwise you will burn the "mirror").
xenon needs time to warm up. And it does not like to be switched on and off very often.

So NO, I am not going to put HID on high beams. I could put 3000K (yellow) on fog lights though, but I am not sure if I can use that at all.

Low beams are very good. I wish there was a headlight corrector knob - I mean to adjust the headlights from inside of the car. The cut off line is dependent on the cars load. More people - lights go up, some luggage in the trunk - the same.
When you drive alone - they go down and the bright area in the front of the car gets too short.
But overall - projectors are much better then reflectors. this is my personal opinion.
With regard to headlight alignment... most cars I've rented in the U.K. have such a manual headlight adjustment to allow for vehicle loading. Maybe our U.K. friends could let us know if their Carens also have such a feature.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage CRDi XE 4x4 MY08 & Fiat Panda 1.2 4x4 MY05
598 Posts
With regard to headlight alignment... most cars I've rented in the U.K. have such a manual headlight adjustment to allow for vehicle loading. Maybe our U.K. friends could let us know if their Carens also have such a feature.
Yes, this came up some time ago. Apart from the top spec models (LS in UK) which I think have an automatic beam adjustment for load, the UK models have a thumb wheel (in the same area of the dash that you have your instrument light dimmer I believe - reversed for RHD - LHD of course if you follow me). It's marked 0, 1 ,2 ,3 and selecting a higher number progressively lowers the 'low beam' (we call that dipped). I don't think it affects the 'high beam' lamp. If you park facing a wall at night and adjust the thumb wheel with low beam you can see the light move....there is a slight lag between selection and action. I normally drive with '1' but will go to '2' normally if towing.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, I know... Why Rondo does not have it? It just does not make sense to me...
Most cars in Europe have either auto or manual adjustment of headlights from passenger compartment.
As long as I am in the US I have never seen a car with this feature.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo LX V6 7 Seater, 2006 Toyota Prius Package#7
91 Posts
Well, I know... Why Rondo does not have it? It just does not make sense to me...
Most cars in Europe have either auto or manual adjustment of headlights from passenger compartment.
As long as I am in the US I have never seen a car with this feature.
Yes, in Europe and Asia it is mandatory for all new cars to have level adjuster(auto or manual).

In US few cars have auto adjusters. My prius with factory HID has auto level adjuster, which checks the rear suspension postion (checks swing arm angle) and adjusts the beam. Ofcourse if it fails it costs arm and leg, that is different story.

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes, in Europe and Asia it is mandatory for all new cars to have level adjuster(auto or manual).

In US few cars have auto adjusters. My prius with factory HID has auto level adjuster, which checks the rear suspension postion (checks swing arm angle) and adjusts the beam. Ofcourse if it fails it costs arm and leg, that is different story.
but Prius is not American car... is it? ;)
I am getting to the point that cars made in the US/Canada (well, designed and sold there) do not have this very important and helpful feature.

·
Registered
'08 Kia Carens CRDI LS
52 Posts
In the UK, it's law to have automatic level adjusters and headlight washers on any car with HID lights. When I say automatic they need to auto adjust themselves to prevent dazzling oncoming road users, they have sensors in the car to monitor the level.

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
Pics. Can't do a direct comparison, but my wife's chrysler minivan was right there so that's something. Pics of are of my driveway, which is long and tilted hence the non-straight line on the door. Oh yeah, Iphone pics. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
Overall impression, buckets more light. It's the difference between a couple of bare 60w bulbs and a bunch of 4' flourescent shop lights. Makes the stock high-beams look silly, I'm replacing them with sylvania H1 xv bulbs just to try to close the color and light gap a little bit. Amazon.com: Sylvania H1 XV BP TWIN XtraVision Fog Light - Pack of 2: Automotive Still have to figure out what to do about the running lights under the high-beams though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Overall impression, buckets more light. It's the difference between a couple of bare 60w bulbs and a bunch of 4' flourescent shop lights. ...
where did you get the HID kit from?

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
One of my kids gave it to me; I'll ask him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks PLP for your write-up, it convinced me to do the HID DIY.

ours in the Philippines we call them Kia Carens same as in Europe. and our bulb uses H7 spec.... the only major difference is the bulb-to harness connector.

later will send u link where to view my DIY...

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
thanks PLP for your write-up, it convinced me to do the HID DIY.

ours in the Philippines we call them Kia Carens same as in Europe. and our bulb uses H7 spec.... the only major difference is the bulb-to harness connector.

later will send u link where to view my DIY...
WARNING:
before buying the HID kit make sure the bulb is designed the same way as halogen. I am talking about the supporting rod for filament in halogen (you know, this piece of metal - the long one- that holds the small curly wire). In HID lamp it has to be on the SAME side.

I have learned that HID H11 are made in two different fashions. One is totally opposite of halogen and the other is the right one.

That's why I have problems with my HID, while some others do not.

I do not have pictures now, but I will post them some time next week to show what I am talking about.

Just to end this - if you put the halogen upside down, some of the light will be covered by the supporting rode making light output decreased.

So, get some H7 bulb and go for shopping for HID.

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
nice job, H7 is much easier than H11B (due to the "idiot proof" connector)

They look kind of greenish though... maybe its just white balance

·
Registered
6 Posts
nice job, H7 is much easier than H11B (due to the "idiot proof" connector)

They look kind of greenish though... maybe its just white balance
thanks PLP, yes i think its just white balance problem that made it look greenish....

on a side note, i find it too white for me.... its so strange because i actually ordered the 4300K. . . looks like they sent me the 6000K....

BTW, PLP can u kindly post me a link to the guy who removed his stock sub-woofer? as for me i'm trying to install one in my unit.

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
so when could I book you in to do mine PLP? :)
:) just come over here on some weekend and bring 6 pack, and we will do it. Does not take so much time :cool:
And I mean it. If you need help, I will be happy to assist you.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts