Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need a little help, I have a 2000 kia sephia and my clutch pedal is sticking when I change gears. Am I going to need a new clutch, don't want to get jipped by the mechanic. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
:00000732: to KIA-forums.com! :57:
Please refer your questions to the sephia forums, someone can help you there! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dear fellow Kia user: what do you mean by "the clutch is sticking". Does the pedal stay down? Does it not disengage? Or does it stay disengaged? Can you shift the car? You will have to be more specific and I will try and help you. speedster1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

When I push the clutch pedal down, it won't come back up, I have to pull it back up with my foot. Before it starts sticking, I hear a squeaking sound like a rusty door hinge opening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sticking to the floor and I have to pull it back up with my foot. Yes I checked the fluid and it's good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would bet its something simple like a clutch return spring or could be the pivot point needs to be greased. Have you looked under the dash by the pedals? Probably towards the top of the clutch pedal to see of there is a spring and check the pivot point. See if it is broken. I Havnt had a chance to look on my 98 sephia yet but when the wife gets home with it i'll run out and look to see if there is one there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same car with the same exact symtoms, I sprayed a little WD-40 on it and it fixed it for about 4 days and now it's back. I'll let you know if I find something that works.

·
Registered
107 Posts
use some penetrating oil or some heavy weight oil, might work,if not then take it to the dealership and have it fixed, I would bet that would be a recall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem gets stranger.... The problem seems to only happen when the interior has been cooled down by the AC. When you turn on the AC it doesn't happen, only after enough time has passed for the interior to be cooled down. Roll down the window and allow the interior to be warmed back up, and it stops. But it doesn't happen when the vehicle has been cooled by the enviorment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cooling down=oil getting dry and everything getting stiff. Try to clean the area on the pedal base thoroughly 1st and then apply the wd40 or whatever you have. Don't wait until winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually after I posted that yesterday it happened with no AC on and it being 90 degrees outside. I was able to squeeze under the dash and look at it closer and it's absolutely the piston that goes through the fire wall binding up and getting stuck. I've parked it for now since it's not safe to drive like this and will try to find a fix this weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, it finally quit working altogather and it seems like the problem all along was the slave cylinder. Pick one up for around $50 and it's a fairly easy install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1996 sephia and need to replace the clutch slave cylinder on mine. I cant get the TOP bolt off, how did you get to yours?

I have a motor mount and exhaust blocking access to the bolt.

Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts