Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2023 Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
47 Posts
I am almost 100% certain that no vehicles are actually made to order. They're made with some algorithm to optimize parts availability and production time, then they're allocated to a dealership. I am actually not sure how PIOs are assigned though.
I hate to speculate, but I have multiple screenshots from my dealer showing proof that the vehicle made it to port on 10-28-22. There is no way KIA would hold it that long(coming up on 3 months) unless something is truly wrong with the supply chain. If you ask me there is no way this is a delivery backup. KIAs are being delivered to dealers all over the US all day long. This really seems like they may have shipped them missing certain key components and they are only trickling out of port once those components become available. I am talking chips, batteries, etc. Not things like the normal PIO items.

· Registered
'23 Sportage HEV SX Prestige
131 Posts
I hate to speculate, but I have multiple screenshots from my dealer showing proof that the vehicle made it to port on 10-28-22. There is no way KIA would hold it that long(coming up on 3 months) unless something is truly wrong with the supply chain. If you ask me there is no way this is a delivery backup. KIAs are being delivered to dealers all over the US all day long. This really seems like they may have shipped them missing certain key components and they are only trickling out of port once those components become available. I am talking chips, batteries, etc. Not things like the normal PIO items.
What are the PIO's on your sticker? When I took delivery of mine, I requested an additional PIO be installed at the dealer - the Homelink mirror. The dealer claimed I got the last one in USA inventory - came in from some dealer in TX. But that was back in Nov.

Actually, your original delivery date was during that timeframe...are you getting a Homelink mirror?...

· Registered
47 Posts
What are the PIO's on your sticker? When I took delivery of mine, I requested an additional PIO be installed at the dealer - the Homelink mirror. The dealer claimed I got the last one in USA inventory - came in from some dealer in TX. But that was back in Nov.
Cross Bars X-Line $360.00
Carpeted Floor Mats, X-Line $155.00
Cargo Net Hybrid (w/Audio) $50.00
Cargo Tray $115.00
Mud Guards $120.00
Skid Plate, Front $200.00

· Registered
131 Posts
Cross Bars X-Line $360.00
Carpeted Floor Mats, X-Line $155.00
Cargo Net Hybrid (w/Audio) $50.00
Cargo Tray $115.00
Mud Guards $120.00
Skid Plate, Front $200.00
Whew! But that's the most PIO's I've ever seen on an HEV SX Prestige sticker. Can you ask the dealer, to ask KIA USA, to delete anything that might be holding it up?

· Registered
47 Posts
Whew! But that's the most PIO's I've ever seen on an HEV SX Prestige sticker. Can you ask the dealer, to ask KIA USA, to delete anything that might be holding it up?
I asked that early on. Keep in mind, I did not order this vehicle. It was an available incoming vehicle with no name on it. The dealer stated they could not remove any of those accessories because they were "factory installed," due to the vehicle being "ordered that way."

· Registered
2023 Sportage Hybrid EX
48 Posts
I hate to speculate, but I have multiple screenshots from my dealer showing proof that the vehicle made it to port on 10-28-22. There is no way KIA would hold it that long(coming up on 3 months) unless something is truly wrong with the supply chain. If you ask me there is no way this is a delivery backup.
Ours was held up for a long time too, stuck only an hour away from the dealer for over a month. I think there really are some delivery backups due to worker shortages, in addition to other supply chain topics. They get the vehicle, but it ends up in a large parking lot just waiting to be able to be taken to the destination, and not enough workers to handle them all.

What I imagined for ours (right or wrong) is that it was one of the first to be parked, and therefore got parked in many cars deep so they couldn't get to it until they delivered all of the cars that were blocking it first. We eventually got it, but each week they changed our delivery date estimate by one week, until eventually it showed up randomly (multiple days before their latest estimate).

· Registered
47 Posts
I will make the blanket statement that the dealers are pulling their hair out because they could be selling tons more vehicles if they were getting them in.
Ours was held up for a long time too, stuck only an hour away from the dealer for over a month. I think there really are some delivery backups due to worker shortages, in addition to other supply chain topics. They get the vehicle, but it ends up in a large parking lot just waiting to be able to be taken to the destination, and not enough workers to handle them all.

What I imagined for ours (right or wrong) is that it was one of the first to be parked, and therefore got parked in many cars deep so they couldn't get to it until they delivered all of the cars that were blocking it first. We eventually got it, but each week they changed our delivery date estimate by one week, until eventually it showed up randomly (multiple days before their latest estimate).
The blocked in at a parking lot is definitely a thing. One of many possible reasons for the delay. This is not my first rodeo. I own a Ford Maverick Hybrid that took 8 months from order to delivery and I felt lucky to get one in the end!

· Registered
131 Posts
I will make the blanket statement that the dealers are pulling their hair out because they could be selling tons more vehicles if they were getting them in.

The blocked in at a parking lot is definitely a thing. One of many possible reasons for the delay. This is not my first rodeo. I own a Ford Maverick Hybrid that took 8 months from order to delivery and I felt lucky to get one in the end!
But 3 months waiting for parking lot shuffling!? Not. Your PIO list is so long, I would bet money that one little thing on there is holding up your delivery.

My advice, for what it's worth, start hitting the phone and Kia dealer web sites within a reasonable drive all around you. You may be able to find a dealer nearby with an actual confirmed allocation (VIN #) that fits what you are looking for. Once you do, call your original dealer and tell them, "If this car isn't delivered within one week, you are going with another dealer." And if they still claim, "It's out of our hands", then demand $1K discount off the deal for your trouble (if you still really want this car).

This situation was most probably your dealer's fault. They put in an allocation request for too many PIO's in order to pad their profits. I don't believe Kia USA would have done this. They're not that stupid or greedy about making an extra $100 margin. Kia USA wants this car off their lot. Pronto.

The dilemma is going to be whether to put a deposit down on the new Sportage you find. But that's a good problem to have!...

Call this number and start complaining. Kia is actually pretty decent about following up on complaints: https://ksupport.kiausa.com/ConsumerAffairs. And if you push hard enough, they can authorize covering one of your future car payments, etc. My daughter got a similar discount when she complained about her dealer!

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, and all that!...

· Registered
47 Posts
But 3 months waiting for parking lot shuffling!? Not. Your PIO list is so long, I would bet money that one little thing on there is holding up your delivery.
All good points and the PIOs could definitely be the culprit. If I was looking for the hybrid, I would have found another one in the region and jumped on it a while ago. They are are available out there if you scout around. The one I am holding out for is the plug-in hybrid, and they are still unicorns at this point. Hopefully, it may be close to arriving. The expected date did not get bumped out again this week.

· Registered
shopping for a 2023 Sportage Hybrid EX
16 Posts
For the Hybrids/Korean-built, I think either from dealer allocation requests via KIA USA, or KIA USA itself picks. They're added here in the US, no? I think a dealer can also just request "anything"/first available. That way, PIO's in low supply won't delay delivery. Note also that the VIN's seem to be assigned and the window stickers printed after they are shipped and on a slow boat from Korea. The dealer needs to be assigned first, so that their address can be printed on the sticker. The magic happens during that allocation process. Which dealers get which cars?...
I always figured that the stickers were just printed at the dealership, cause often times the dealers install garbage too. :)

· Registered
2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
508 Posts
Regardless of what you think about Tesla, since Elon lowered the price of the Model Y by 20%, they are becoming more attractive. A LONG RANGE Model Y is now around $44,500 after the 20% discount and the federal tax credit of $7,500. That makes it nearly comparable to a Sportage PHEV at $41K (without additional dealer markup).

The least expensive and most popular Chevrolet EV is the Bolt. Chevy is halting production until March, so the model won't be available for 8-10 months for anyone who does not already have an order.

Crazy times in the EV space.

· Registered
shopping for a 2023 Sportage Hybrid EX
16 Posts
Regardless of what you think about Tesla, since Elon lowered the price of the Model Y and Model 3 by 20%, they are becoming more attractive. A LONG RANGE Model Y is now around $44,500 after the 20% discount and the federal tax credit of $7,500. That makes it nearly comparable to a Sportage PHEV at $41K (without additional dealer markup).

The least expensive and most popular Chevrolet EV is the Bolt. Chevy is halting production until March, so the model won't be available for 8-10 months for anyone who does not already have an order.

Crazy times in the EV space.
Any idea why chevy is halting production until march?

I heard that a lithium shortage has stalled toyota hybrid production.

· Registered
47 Posts
This is an old headline from a year ago. Chevy is actually increasing production of the Bolt.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts