Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to put out there the info on how to change and find the crank position sensor on a Optima 2.7 liter V6. I could not find any info on the location of this sensor and it wasn't until I joined this forum is when I find the sensor wit some help. Thanks a lot friends!!

Now in the pictures there are a lot more stuff removed then what was needed but I was doing a full tune up anyway.

But what you do need to remove to get to it is the battery, radiator hoses and spark plug wires and ignition coil pack. Then the bolt for the sensor is a 10mm. A 1/4 socket and wrench is what I used and fit in there easy.

If you are able to replace the sensor without removing all that stuff then more power to you but I found it a lot easier to just remove that stuff.

Hope this helps anyone who found themselves not able to locate the sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great pictures that will no doubt help anyone that needs to find their CPS.

Did you have the upper intake off to change the plugs on that rear bank at the same time?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima V6 2.7L
5 Posts
I had to replace a crankshaft sensor on my 2002 Kia Optima V6 2.7L due to a crank but no start condition.

I did not have to remove anything however.

What I did do was use a longhandle Philips screwdriver as the bolt also has a Philips head.

I took some pictures of the sensor using my Blackberry with the flash so I could see what I was dealing with before hand and then wiggled my arm into the space available looking at the sensor from about a one inch gap between hoses and brackets from the front of the car.

A narrow shop light jammed in the space provided the light I needed.

Took about 5 minutes to replace the sensor.

The crankshaft sensor's wire was melted into one single mess of wire and attempting to start the car would blow the ECU fuse from what I can gather.

I started the repair by replacing the fuel pump as I found it wasn't pumping when I tried to start the car but it turns out that if you have a bad crankshaft or camshaft sensor, your ECU won't send power to the fuel pump relay, which is behind you're radio if anyone is curious to know its location.

John in CA

p.s. This post got me close to the finding the sensor, but I literally had to buy the sensor and then search for the part that it looked like in the general area I was looking for it in (thanks to this thread). I own the Kia service manual for my car and it is almost worthless when it comes to pictures and locations of sensors. I also bought the camshaft sensor and was able to locate it on the engine using the same stare and compare method I used to find the crankshaft sensor. I didn't replace it though because it seems to be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts