Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please help.
My manual Kia Rio won't go into gear. It is winter here so I've been warming it up for 10 minutes until the engine heater needle is half way and it does nothing. It gets to the point where I'm almost forcing the stick into gear. This morning had to start in second gear and it was rough. Last night I actually had to lift the reverse lever to get it in first with a lot of grinding. I find once I get the car going it gets easier after a few minutes of driving. It just seems getting the car into gear to get it going is the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jase

http://www.kia-forums.com/do-yourself/192649-attention-please-read-before-posting-section.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
You have most likely ground your clutch plate to pieces. Good news, its not THAT expensive, its not the Transmission.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Please help.
My manual Kia Rio won't go into gear. It is winter here so I've been warming it up for 10 minutes until the engine heater needle is half way and it does nothing. It gets to the point where I'm almost forcing the stick into gear. This morning had to start in second gear and it was rough. Last night I actually had to lift the reverse lever to get it in first with a lot of grinding. I find once I get the car going it gets easier after a few minutes of driving. It just seems getting the car into gear to get it going is the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jase

http://www.kia-forums.com/do-yourself/192649-attention-please-read-before-posting-section.html
Will it go into 3 from a cold start and roll slowly if you feather the clutch?

It's possible you just have the small linkage cable (that controls how far left/right you have to position the shift lever to specific the gears) out of adjustment. The plastic that keeps you from accidentally going into reverse without pulling up the ring might be exactly where the lever needs to be to shift cleanly into first and second, causing you all kinds of jammed shifts, as either side of the reverse lockout ridge is too far left or right to be where you need to be.

If from cold you can do 3rd and up without grinding, that would be my suspicion. You probably have to shorten the overall cable length at the small adjuster.

Get back to me about the 3-5 gears, as to whether they shift smoothly at cold or not, before I delve into how to adjust the linkage length. It's not hard, but it's not obvious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Kia rio 07 replaced all that 3 years ago now it has disconnected from thw tran the shifter wont engage tryed the cable and gromit ..the guy whos shop its in said its inside the fluid seal might as well get a new trans ..that makez no sense ..given its fairly new and wasnt going out or grinding just pop it stopped shifting. Any suggestions ..please that dont involve ridiculousness otherwise it will sit lol ...i dont have that kind of money so afyer 2300 3 yrs ago and new clutch last year it shoukd be something less...hoping ..thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
I have a Kia rio 07 replaced all that 3 years ago now it has disconnected from thw tran the shifter wont engage tryed the cable and gromit ..the guy whos shop its in said its inside the fluid seal might as well get a new trans ..that makez no sense ..given its fairly new and wasnt going out or grinding just pop it stopped shifting. Any suggestions ..please that dont involve ridiculousness otherwise it will sit lol ...i dont have that kind of money so afyer 2300 3 yrs ago and new clutch last year it shoukd be something less...hoping ..thanks for any help
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 5 of 5 Posts