Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in the Turks and Caicos Islands, and today just plunked down our money for a 2013 Sportage. We should be able to pick it up on Monday assuming insurance and bank transfer all go through by then.

I was trying to order a tow hitch for it, and ran into all kinds of confusion. There is no model number on the exterior of the Sportage. The Bill of Sale states that it has a 2.0 l engine. The only info I can find on KIA-America site says that the SX has the 2.0 liter engine. I don't think this is an SX. Doesn't have that many options.

I tried running the VIN with several of the "free online VIN decoders", and get error messages. Called the dealer and confirmed the VIN was correct.

Can anyone point me to where I can find out what all this means? I'm starting to wonder if we didn't buy a non-USA spec car. Common down here in de islands, Mon....!
VIN on it is KNAPC811DD7442097 if that's any use. I can't find out any specifics from that.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
289 Posts
A good parts "guy" from the parts department should be able to tell you more. The VIN number also tell you what kind of engine is on your vehicle. I know that the 8th character from the right (end) tells you the model year.

A=2010
B=2011
C=2012
D=2013 (this is your model year)

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
478 Posts
For the tow hitch the only thing you need to worry about is does it have dual exhaust tips or single? If you have dual exhaust then you need the tow kit for the SX, if you have single exhaust then any of the other tow hitches will work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. This dealership doesn't have a parts guy. It's complicated, but basically They sub their repair work out to a mechanic over by the airport.

We figured out the confusion on model numbers. It's not an SX, or LX or EX either. The KIAs here come straight from Korea, and are not configured for US requirements. The model number is SL. The engine is the little 2.0 gasoline. Hope it doesn't mind pulling a small boat. Quite often.

They sell them in Australia, so I'm thinking I might be able to find some towing capacity numbers from an Oz site.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
138 Posts
For the tow hitch the only thing you need to worry about is does it have dual exhaust tips or single? If you have dual exhaust then you need the tow kit for the SX, if you have single exhaust then any of the other tow hitches will work.
^ Exactly! Doesn't matter what motor you have with regard to the hitch, only your exhaust setup.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
KNA = multi purpose vehicle SUV
P = Sportage
C = middle grade
8 = wagon
1 = restraint and brake system
1 = ? not a North American engine (2 = 2.4 MPI, 6 = 2.0T GDI)
D = check digit
D = 2013
7 = Kwangju (where built)
442097 = vehicle production sequence.

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
curtis hitches

I just bought a Curtis hitch from hitch usa . fits sportage and hyundia tuson 134 $

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just ordered one, too$ 134, ah, but there it all changes.

mine will take about a week and a half to get here. I will pay about another $100. in shipping from Florida to the Turks and Caicos Islands. Then I'll pay about 36% import duty. So my total cost for the $ 134 hitch will be more like $280. Maybe a little more. Import duty on some things is up as high as 46%.

But golly we got some real pretty ocean, beaches, and reefs around here. And the Trade Wind sailing is phenomenal.

Now I have to try to sell the two Jeep Wrangler hitches ( front and rear) and the cargo mat I imported for the JKU we ordered in December. We finally got tired of waiting, discovered the Sportage, and bought one of those instead.
Now I'm finding out that it wasn't built to be exported to the USA, so it'll be a fun experience. Wonder if it has air bags. And of course we're a bit anxious to see if that little 166 horse engine can haul 2000 lbs of boat and trailer with that six speed automatic. I think it can. this is a small island, meaning we don't have far to go to get to the water. Three miles, in most cases if we use the closest ramp. And top speed here is 40 mph.

I looked up the SL with the small 2.0 l gasoline engine on the internet, found a site in South Africa with the specs. They are claiming a tow capacity of 750 kg. unbraked, and 1600 braked. Well, that's a funny spec, but I do understand how they come at these things. Truthfully, if the Sportage SL can pull 1600 kg braked, it can pull 1600 kg. unbraked. It just won't stop as quickly because it's a light vehicle. This doesn't matter to us. We don't have any freeways here, and I doubt I'll ever be pulling any of our boats faster than about 35, for a max distance of ten miles, maybe.

We've got an 18 ft. skiff that weighs about 2,000 on the trailer, and a Hobie Tandem Island kayak we sail a lot that only weighs about 300 lbs on it's trailer. I think it should handle those okay. What do you experienced Sportage drivers think? Will it launch and retrieve these okay with the auto trans and AWD?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts