Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a few hours on this site finding the information contained here about replacing the front wheel bearings on a Rio. I believe that I have read every post and I gathered the correct tools for the job. I pressed the hub from the spindle with a hydralic press, I found a picture of the special Kia tool as well as down-loaded the shop manual procedure for this. Since the tool is not readily available, from what I saw, I picked up a outter CV joint and used it for the pre-loading tool. With a new set of aftermarket bearings, I pressed the whole assembly back together, installed the outter joint, torqued the axle nut to 160-ft/lbs, then checked my rotation torque and came up with 125-in/lbs. So, according to the manual, I need to install a smaller shim to reduce my pre-load rotation torque down to the specified 4 ~ 7 in/lbs. So I press the assembly back apart and go to remove the shim to see which size I have, to order more and what I thought was the shim is actually part of the spindle!

This is where I am hoping someone here can help me- if this "shoulder" in the spindle bore is the "stop" for the bearing races, and I currently have no shim in there, what do I do to decrease my pre-load rotational torque? I have not found on here where anyone has mentioned this "shoulder" in the spindle bore. Is it not suppose to be there? Please help me out here!

Oh, it's a 2003 Rio Cico that I am working on for my wife. Reason I'm replacing the bearings is because she had a out-of-work mechanic work on the car and he informed me that he just beat the bearings out with a big hammer and big scocket then assembled the new ones the same way. One month later, the right front is growling. I take it apart and both the races are all galled up and chunks missing out of the rollers. So, I wan to do this right.

Thanks for any advice that can be given.

·
Registered
1988 Crx SI
75 Posts
can you send me a pic of what shoulder your referring to? The shim is in between the inner/outer bearings

1 - 2 of 2 Posts