Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple of question my wife has owned the sportage since she was sixteen no maintenance was done... yatta yatta ok back ground out of the way...
about a month ago the car had gotten a flat tire and i couldnt afford to get a new one till the next check so it sat for two weeks well when i got the new tire somthing happened in those two weeks were every time i put gas in the car its like there is back pressure in the tank and it spews gas back out at me.... ive read some were about a vent tube (witch i cant find) and a filter of some sort thats near the rear bumper (witch i also cant find and auto zone looked at me like im a moron what could be causing this??

also compleatly unrelated do these sportages have power issues my cars headlight dim when i role windows down or have the radio playing O.O

also also ...... i know im needy..... i have a gas smell when the heats on
but i cant seem to find a gas leak O.O i saw the stickyd thread but that tube wasnt damaged

last related note were can i find a fuel injecter clip O.O just the little metal clip

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
i have a couple of question my wife has owned the sportage since she was sixteen no maintenance was done... yatta yatta ok back ground out of the way...
about a month ago the car had gotten a flat tire and i couldnt afford to get a new one till the next check so it sat for two weeks well when i got the new tire somthing happened in those two weeks were every time i put gas in the car its like there is back pressure in the tank and it spews gas back out at me.... ive read some were about a vent tube (witch i cant find) and a filter of some sort thats near the rear bumper (witch i also cant find and auto zone looked at me like im a moron what could be causing this??

also compleatly unrelated do these sportages have power issues my cars headlight dim when i role windows down or have the radio playing O.O

also also ...... i know im needy..... i have a gas smell when the heats on
but i cant seem to find a gas leak O.O i saw the stickyd thread but that tube wasnt damaged

last related note were can i find a fuel injecter clip O.O just the little metal clip
Only one reason, lack of maintenance! :eek:... Philip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well i know this already there guy lol im more wondering what could be causing the issues so i can start eliminating the posibilities
also what is the sensor thats on the intake directly above the spark plugs? its buzzing
also also the down pipe/ front pipe broke and the only place i can seam to find it is through kia were can i find one cheaper than 390 dollors O.O i would have it just welded back together but the mount broke off due to rust ( witch i know caused the pipe to break/ rust didnt help ether

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
well i know this already there guy lol im more wondering what could be causing the issues so i can start eliminating the posibilities
You first post is rather convoluted. You need to be specific and describe the issues in detail... Philip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont really know how to explain in more details lets see......
Problem 1
when fueling the car it spits gas back at you unless you pump super super slow stopping every 50 cent and pull the gas gun out of the fill hole
problem 2
when the car is it seams like electric things arnt getting enough power
for example ill be driving down the road and the headlights will dim with music
or my headlights will dim when hitting the button to roll the windows down
Problem 3
im missing one of the little metal clips that holds the fuel injectors in place......
Problem 4
cant find the pipe to the exhaust any were but kia dealer
its the pipe directly after the manifold the 90 degree one, its the two pip setup for manual trans

its the first pipe(from left to right) the one that has N/A the one on my car has a flange at both ends no cat on the end of it
places ive tried autozone, rockauto, autoparts international, Kia, andys auto sports, advanced auto
Problem 5
what is the sensor located in the picture its making a buzzing noise

Better?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Much better! Where do you live?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Fredericksburg va

but the car is registerd in PA in her parrents name (they keep "forgetting" to file for a lost title)
PA has emissions fredericksburg does not

·
Registered
00 Sportage 4wd, 00 Sportage EX 4wd, 02 Sportage 2wd
175 Posts
The buzzing noise is the Idle Air Control Valve. That's normal, don't worry about it.

For the electrical problem, these rigs are known for bad grounds. Behind the kick panels on both sides are ground bolts screwed into the body. Clean them up as best you can. Kia decided to ground wires here without removing the paint first, which doesn't work very well. Also remove the battery and plastic tray. The ground wire from the battery bolts to the tray on it's way to the engine block. Where the tray bolts to the inner fender tends to corrode, this needs to be cleaned up as well.

The fuel spitting problem is common. The EVAP filter is located on the charcoal canister, which is under the back of the vehicle. Crawl underneath, look for a plastic container with some rubber hoses leading into it, protected by a metal plate. Removing a couple 10mm bolts should drop it down. It's been a few years since I did this, so hopefully I remember correctly. The filter is attached directly to the canister but can be easily removed, and in my case, blown out with compressed air.

As for the exhaust issue, I know there are a couple of different exhaust designs for these rigs. Last summer by pre-cat broke at the flange where the pipe leading to the main cat bolts up. I had to replace the pre-cat as a fix. In my case, the exhaust system is Manifold -> Pre-Cat -> L-Pipe -> Main Cat -> rest of exhaust to muffler and beyond. The bottom of the pre-cat broke off because there is no flex-pipe to absorb the vibration difference between the engine and the frame. If the pre-cat broke, I bought one on eBay for $120, if it's the L-pipe that broke, an exhaust shop should be able to fab one up for fairly cheap. If you have the single piece pre-cat/L-pipe, then I don't know, but I'm sure eBay could help you there too.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
dont really know how to explain in more details lets see......

problem 2
when the car is it seams like electric things arnt getting enough power
for example ill be driving down the road and the headlights will dim with music
or my headlights will dim when hitting the button to roll the windows down
Problem 3
im missing one of the little metal clips that holds the fuel injectors in place......

Problem 4
cant find the pipe to the exhaust any were but kia dealer
its the pipe directly after the manifold the 90 degree one, its the two pip setup for manual trans

its the first pipe(from left to right) the one that has N/A the one on my car has a flange at both ends no cat on the end of it

Better?
+1 on cleaning those ground points up - and checking the battery ground tray -> frame bolts / replacing if rusted..

Bosal 713-403 Pipe : Amazon.com : Automotive

should be the front pipe you need, or check locally w/ a muffler shop to see cost to have one fabricated, or check w/ local salvage yard for availability / to pull one..

re: problem 3 - I'll take a look and see if I have a spare injector clip on the '01 parts Sporty here for you tomorrow am.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you GottaCriuse
and for the link, my question is my original pipe had a hanging mount welded to the flange and i cant seam to break the bolts lose on the old pipes both on the cat and the manifold any advice?
and ill get on cleaning the grounds when i do everything i wanna do it all at once
ive been starting it and letting it run for a couple minutes here and there

Edit: ok im a retard i guess the sportage is an 02 according to the vin but the door says 01(which is what i was going by)
sighs and the prosses of finding the pipe starts again

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
what is the full date in the door?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
some pictures of the pipe if it helps

Ill have to look at the door here in a bit wife is out and has the key to the car(got our house keys on it)

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
im sure that thing sounds awesome :p

i just took the pre cat off mine to see if i had a clogged cat and was running just a header and it sounded lovely :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
eh sounds like a p.o.s i have that peice on the end of that pipe cut (an attempt to fix it temperarily but it failed miserably But the pipes would have to cut anyway (or replaced) also zkdawg the date on the door is 7/25/2001 Vin matches so im assuming its the original door
also ive noticed there is a vac line above the fuel rail on the intake that has a screw in it what does that go to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i cant find this pipe anywere
when i put 02 in the fit of link from erlier it says it doesnt fit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
also also there is a cat behind the downpipe, im wondering if i can remove that and still be leagal at least i think its a cat

·
Registered
98 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
also also there is a cat behind the downpipe, im wondering if i can remove that and still be leagal at least i think its a cat
if u remove the cat, u wont pass emissions

·
Registered
98 Posts
do u have a junk yard near u? if so check it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts