Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just purchased a 2014 EX sorento and am attempting to replace the CVVT and belt tensioner but have reached a point where I am at a loss.
Firstly, if anyone could share some links to a solid source of a service/repair manual for this engine that would be amazing. Everything I have found so far relates to the 4 cylinder engine and I am failing to see why the V6 wouldn't be supported as well.
I have torn down the engine to the point where I need to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt, I am struggling to do so. However, before that I want to confirm that I have the positioning correct of the cams and chain. The guides all say to place cylinder 1 in TDC position and to align cam guide marks. I know that this sounds ridiculous, but I believe I need some help confirming this, for my own sanity could someone please tell me which cylinder is number 1? Also while attempting to align the pulley mark with the timing mark, the red chain links never align evenly. The marks on the cam sprockets do align with the head surface, I believe...please look at the photo to confirm.

I want to confirm that I have cylinder 1 at TDC, and then I need to try remove the crankshaft bolt so I can get to removing the timing cover.
Then I hope it is a simple act of removing the tensioner and CVVT sprocket and replace with new, reverse order of all previous removals.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated. I have sunk money into this and I am hoping to have not broken my engine or wasted my time.

Note, in these photos the crankshaft mark is aligned and yet the timing belt chains have completely moved past the top of the sprockets.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
513 Posts
TRy this..and what is your mileage ?

Attachments

Reactions: Lou O. and Jamo33

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TRy this..and what is your mileage ?
I managed to find that pdf from one of your earlier posts I believe, thank you!
138,000 miles on the car
The honest issue I am having is confirming that I have all the timing set up correctly to remove the pulley, plus removing the crank bolt itself...
Know of any physical photos that show correct timing as referenced in the diagrams? I don't want to get this wrong

Thanks again LMP

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
432 Posts
The marks Look to be lined up to the top of the head. cyl 1 is the one furthest forward looking from the trans end. (left side looking from the chain end)
The red links will only line up when fitting, and then once in 20,000 revolutions (estimate)

·
Registered
513 Posts

Reactions: Lou O. and Jamo33

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The marks Look to be lined up to the top of the head. cyl 1 is the one furthest forward looking from the trans end. (left side looking from the chain end)
The red links will only line up when fitting, and then once in 20,000 revolutions (estimate)

Thank you both! I had it right and was paying attention to cylinder one. Did the old extension socket in spark plug hole as a test to find TDC and all was good.
Removed Crankshaft pulley bolt with newly purchased electric impact wrench, worked wonders. And finally was able to get the timing cover and all accessories off! Sprocket and tensioner have now been swapped out and everything is ready for reassembly...but I am waiting on gaskets.
To help any future people looking for a compiled list of parts etc that were needed to do this whole procedure I will attempt to get a list put up after I have confirmed I have everything.
Fingers crossed reassembly goes smoothly, getting that timing cover out was difficult to say the least, putting it back in with sealant...that is going to be a task and a half.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, asking for a bit more help.
After removing the timing cover I found a few gaskets I was unaware of and cannot locate in diagrams. Two found on the inside of the timing cover itself seen in the image below. And one red o-ring behind the water pump. Struggling to understand why these arent easier to find online?

Could someone provide part numbers please

Once again, thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
513 Posts
mmmm....I think i'm not that brave anymore....:rolleyes:

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mmmm....I think i'm not that brave anymore....:rolleyes:
Yep...but I may have found something here.
See attached pdf. And ignore the green highlighted part.
Instead the part I believe is this o-ring can be found in the top left. Part number 21353r which is part of part 21150a. I have now found that part 21150a is called the oil drain assembly (I believe) and to my knowledge is only referenced once in the service manual, related to the cylinder block repair procedure. They call it "oil drain cover" yet still no reference to the gasket.

Kia wants to charge 23 dollars for this o-ring... not happy about that. 6 dollars online and they are claiming it will not fit my engine. Gamble on 6 dollar part with fast shipping, or to pay the stealership that ripped me off recently? Hmmmm

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.
Advance auto parts had a kit I wish I had known of prior. Timing cover kit that comes with all the rubber gaskets, including the aforementioned oil drain assembly o-ring.
Part number at advance auto is TCS46111, 20 dollars.

Concerning the engine, everything is now going back together. Word to the wise, when doing this job I would advise a complete maintenance cycle and replace all guides and chains. I am in the unfortunate situation of lacking the funds. But I wish I had done so, the effort and costs to get to this point make me reluctant to do it all again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts