Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage EX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a new problem arise and wanted to see if anybody has had the same. While driving the other day, the sportage had a downshift type noise/feeling and lost some power, nothing I have ever experienced. The car was then stuck in 4th gear. Upon stopping, the car did not shift back to first, so I drove straight to the dealership in 4th the whole time. After a single key cycle at the dealership it had reset back to "normal". They pulled the code P0748: Pressure Control Solenoid Valve. I should also mention the check engine light never came on. They drove the care and found no problem. Thankfully I had gone straight there so they could see the code because they said after 10 key cycles the code would no longer have been there. They want me to drop off the car so they can investigate why/what happened and I will be doing so next week.

Anybody have this problem? Anybody have any hesitation in acceleration when stepping on the gas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 2.0 CRDi Sportage TLX
67 Posts
It seems some sensor or valve in the transmission got stuck up or the ecu couldn't read from a certain sensor. Hope your problem will not appear again.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage EX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...it happened again...on an off ramp from one highway to the next, a slight jolt feeling and the sportage was stuck in 4th gear again. Same as the last incident (7000 miles ago @ ~26,000miles, now @ 33,000) I pulled over in a safe location, put the car in park for a minute, shifted back to drive, and stuck in fourth. Upon acceleration, the car started very sluggish due to it being in a higher gear and I could not drive more than 50mph. I drove straight to the dealership. This time I did not turn off the car, the service manager came out and was able to see the exact issue. (The last time this occurred, once the car was turned off and then restarted, the issue was gone and the dealer was unable to replicate)

The tech pulled the same code: P0748

I left the car last night for further evaluation. The dealership opened a tech call and KIA instructed to replace the transmission.

Currently I have a rental and the sportage is at the shop waiting for them to get in a remanufactured transmission and make the switch.

I wanted to give everyone this information in case you experience the same.

Anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
last month I had an issue where suddenly the check engine light came on and the car lost all forms of acceleration. It was is the turbo wasn't working anymore. I would try to accelerate but it was as if I was dragging a dead elephant behind me. The thing would not accelerate at all, which made trying to drive on the highway nearly impossible. I brought the car in and they identified that the engine light was attributed to a sensor for the Wastegate valve operation. The dealership thought that it was an issue with the wastegate valve motor so they replaced it and it appeared to fix the car. But as the temperature began to drop last month, the first start of the morning (a cold start) would only cause the car to act up in the same manner. If I stopped the car on the side of the road after it had been running for a little while, turned the engine off and then restarted, the problem seemed to go away. However I knew this was not normal and returned it to the dealership. Turns out there is a TSB for the Optima related to the Wastegate and the engine needed to be reflashed to control the valve properly. The dealership performed the reflashing and everything seems to be fixed, for now.

Not exactly the same scenario as you, but just something I felt like sharing.

Here's hoping yours gets sorted out ASAP.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Well...it happened again...on an off ramp from one highway to the next, a slight jolt feeling and the sportage was stuck in 4th gear again. I drove straight to the dealership. This time I did not turn off the car, the service manager came out and was able to see the exact issue. The tech pulled the same code: P0748

Currently I have a rental and the sportage is at the shop waiting for them to get in a remanufactured transmission and make the switch.
Sounds like they didn't believe you the first time! What's the point of an extensive error-reporting system if they don't take any notice of it?

I would expect a new gearbox rather than a remanufactured one.

·
Registered
829 Posts
'I would expect a new gearbox rather than a remanufactured one.'

Think about that - he owns a 2011, a car with 'X' miles on it. A reman. box would have any updates/revisions that have arisen in the last couple of years and meets or exceeds new specs. I would accept it and be glad of it. Legally, they have to maintain the vehicle in seviceable condition during the term of the warranty, not make it literally 'new' again. IMO the same would hold true for an engine. After all, they have to stand behind it for the remainder of the '10/100' drive train warranty.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage EX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neonridr: I have not had the Wastegate valve sensor issue, definitely sounds like a different scenario than what I had experienced. Thanks for sharing, I thought I was the only one here with some transmission issues.

Along with the current p0748, sometime in between the two p0748 I had the following codes: P0711 and P0713 "Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance and Circuit High Input". The dealer changed a sensor and when shifting from park to drive (automatic), there was definitely a significant difference, it was such a smooth transition, as a passenger you would never know I took the car out of park. I was really hoping this was the end to the transmission problems but then 2 months later and.....well....this issue again. (so 3 transmission issues: 8/2012, 10/2012, and 1/2013)

Best advise I would have for anyone, if the dealer is open when you are experiencing an issue, go straight there and DO NOT turn off the car. If I had turned off the car, the problem would have reset and even though the code would be in the history, the problem would not have been replicated.

The dealer was very responsive. The service manager came out while the car was still running, sat it the drivers seat and replicated all the issues simply because I did not turn off the car and reset the issue. I got a rental car from the dealer while they evaluated the issue. They swapped the transmission with a remanufactured one and I had the vehicle back in less than a week. The rental car was free as it should have been. It's only been 3 days, but so far so good. They even asked me to come back in a week so they can check over things to make sure everything is still functioning properly and no leaks have sprung.

I am really hoping this is the end to the transmission problems. It would be nice to just go for an oil change without some kind of issue, whether its transmission or brake switch or malfunctioning backup sensor....just once I would like for two visits in a row to be oil changes, no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts