Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, i have a 96 sportage, 2 litre, petrol, unfortunately i cracked the engine caseing and will be needing a new engine, can anyone tell me what other engine will fit?

I am in Ireland and have tried every where here to get a sportage engine, i have heard that a mazda will fit but which model of Mazda?

Can anyone help or point me to where i can get some info?

Cheers

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Sportage engine, official designation "FE", was indeed derived from the popular Mazda "F" series 4 cylinder engines. It was available in SOHC and DOHC designs. In the U.S. this engine was used in the Mazda MX-6 and the Ford Probe. However, these vehicles were FWD and the engine was mounted sideways rather than front to back. I know this engine was also used in other Mazda vehicles that were sold in Europe only but I don't know which ones. And again, they might have been a FWD design. If you visit a Mazda dealer they might be able to provide assistance.

If you do find a suitable engine it is going to take a lot of work to adapt a FWD sideways engine to the front to back required in the Sportage. And it may also require swapping over the engine management controls such as the ECU. Not an impossible task but very labor intensive and most likely will require extensive trouble shooting.

I do have an alternative for you. I was in Scotland several years ago and I saw a significant number of Sportages running around the country side. Have you tried sources in the UK by chance? But obviously shipping to Ireland might be cost prohibitive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts