Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio Cinco 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Rio Cinco, 1.6.
I pulled the head and intake to replace a couple bad valves. I start to put it back together and I realize I have two almost identical sockets that the Cam Positon Sensor could plug into. Only difference in the sockets are the water tight seals. One is red, the other blue. If anyone could tell me how to determine which is which I would be grateful, I need to have the car for work on Monday.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,380 Posts
Take another look at your posted pic. The 2 ends are shaped different so they won't interchange. Look at the sensor end to determine which one goes to each.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio Cinco 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look different because of the angle I'm holding them at. I promise you the plug fits perfectly into both sockets.

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo / 2001 Kia Rio
279 Posts
I don’t remember seeing a blue one on mind. What area are they in?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Actually can you tell us the wire colors? The MAF and IAC are both 3 pin plugs ... and right next to each other.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
They look different because of the angle I'm holding them at. I promise you the plug fits perfectly into both sockets.
OK try this. ONE plug actually shows from your pic as having TWO wire pins and the other as having THREE wire pins. Look for the corresponding sensor PINS as compared to the plug on sockets.

Reactions: rpw00mirage

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Darn PICTURES...well it was worth a try! SORRY! ;)

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio Cinco 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK try this. ONE plug actually shows from your pic as having TWO wire pins and the other as having THREE wire pins. Look for the corresponding sensor PINS as compared to the plug on sockets.
Unfortunately they both are three wire. The harness is very much dry rotted (Florida heat) and one socket broke. It's easy enough to replace but that still leaves me not knowing where it goes.o_O

·
Registered
279 Posts
The blue one is for the MAF. I went downstairs and looked... yellow green red.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio Cinco 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The blue one is for the MAF. I went downstairs and looked... yellow green red.

View attachment 114564
Thank you, if the blue one is for the MAF, then the red one would go on the CMP. I didn't want to plug them in backwards and short something out. And for everyone else, yes I know that could still happen but at least now I can make an educated guess. Thank you again for the help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
they won't short out anything. trust me :) lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts