Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento, 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sorento EX, gas model. It has 109,000 miles on it. It has been giving us a lot of problems lately:

1. Random studder on the highway. This has been happening since around 50k miles. We were told this was possibly from a plug wire arching or something while driving. I replaced the plugs and wires.
2. RPM dropping randomly and loses power while driving. I thought this was from the fuel filter so I changed it.
3. Stalling while driving and then wouldn't start. I hope the fuel filter was to blame.
4. The RPM gauge still acts erratically at lower RPMs. This still happens after the fuel filter change and spark plug/wire change. I don't know what this is caused by.
5. There is a very noticeable shudder/vibration when coming to a stop. It isn't coming from the wheels. It seems as if it is coming from the engine/transmission. I checked fluid levels and all are okay.

Our mechanic drove it all last week and could not duplicate any of the above issues, though we didn't mention the vibration while stopping. All the issues, except for the vibration, seem to happen when driving longer distances (>30 miles) and not just around town. The vibration happens at any distance.

He did say there was a crankshaft sensor code which only appeared once and the O2 sensor code which hasn't returned either. Any ideas? Could it be the crankshaft or camshaft sensor going bad? TPS? HELP! I am at a loss!

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Stalling while driving and then wouldn't start.

That will be the crank sensor beginning to go bad.

. Random studder on the highway.

Could be plug, lead, fuel pump, or even TPS.

. RPM dropping randomly and loses power while driving

could be fuel pump, filter, MAF or o2 sensor. All the more likely because it doesn't seem to happen when the car is cold and running in open loop mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Last night the car stalled at a stop sign on the way home. It wouldn't start again. Luckily, it was in our neighborhood so I was able to pull it home with my Jeep. I tried starting it this morning and it fired right up. The light is on so I will have that checked that later today.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Update: Last night the car stalled at a stop sign on the way home. It wouldn't start again. Luckily, it was in our neighborhood so I was able to pull it home with my Jeep. I tried starting it this morning and it fired right up. The light is on so I will have that checked that later today.
That really sounds like Cam and Crank sensors. I recommend changing both, as they read off each other, the (crank may throw the code but the cam is the one that's wrong for example). And since you're about 10k from your (hopefully) second timing belt change, you should do that and the water pump while the belt is off changing those sensors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Thankfully, I feel confident I can do this job myself. However, any tips on doing the timing belt? I have never done one before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts